HASS.IO on Debian VM. How to add Z-Wave USB stick?

Running HASS.IO 0.82.1 on Debian 9.5 VM on a ProxMox host.
I am attempting to pass a HUSBZB-1 through from another device on my network.

Before I get started, are there any add-ons to elegantly handle this scenario through HASS.IO?
I’ve seen this, but I don’t see how to make it applicable to HASS.IO.

I’ve spent a couple days working with the following guides:

I have an Intel Atom machine that I was originally using as the USB “Server”/host. It’s also running Debian (LMDE-3). With the USB stick connected, and was able to locate /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 as the 2 associated serial ports (Z-Wave+ and Zigbee) using lsusb. I tried using both socat and ser2net to serve these 2 ports to my HASS.IO VM, but failed to connect to the USB stick.

Concerned that I had received a bad USB Z-Wave stick, I installed HASS.IO on the ATOM machine. With HASS.IO installed, I was able to use the new(-ish) “Integration” page to configure Z-Wave as /dev/ttyUSB0, and it’s working 100% as expected.

My next step was to create udev rules to set a persistent device name. The rules seem to work, as the new device path would show on the Debian VM, but not when I looked for them inside the “homeassistant” docker image.

UDEV Rules

more /etc/udev/rules.d/99-usb-serial.rules

SUBSYSTEM==“tty”, ATTRS{interface}==“HubZ Z-Wave Com Port”, SYMLINK+=“zwave”
SUBSYSTEM==“tty”, ATTRS{interface}==“HubZ ZigBee Com Port”, SYMLINK+=“zigbee”

While annoying, i decided to work around the persistent name issue, and setup ser2net again (config below).

ser2net conf on ATOM Machine

3333:raw:0:/dev/zwave:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT
3334:raw:0:/dev/zigbee:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT
3335:raw:0:/dev/USB0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT
3336:raw:0:/dev/USB1:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT

And set the config on the HASS.IO VM for socat to connect.

socat conf on Debian VM

OPTIONS=“pty,link=/dev/ttyUSB0,raw,group=dialout,mode=777 tcp:172.20.1.239:3335,forever”

So the new device shows up on the Debian VM, but it never seems to show in the “homeassistant” docker image. If i manually run socat within the docker image, the new device appears, but the Z-Wave integration is unable to see the USB stick or any other associated devices.

Any ideas what i’m doing wrong?