Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

I ended up working around the issue. I’ve disabled surveillance station and am going to use the motionsense package to record my wyze IP cameras instead.

Now I just need to get ha to recognize my DiskStation as a media cloud and figure out why mqtt won’t configure properly and I’m good to go.

Has anyone been able to get HACS working with this setup? I am not sure where to copy the files to as there is no config folder.

Sure, it works great. It’s same folder as it would be in Docker version - folder where your configuration.yaml file is (and other yaml files).

Even when rebooting, I didn’t see this issue. By the time homeassistant is up, all other containers are already up.
In regard to MQTT, don’t remember 100% but I think I never had this issue. It was always up when other containers needed it.
How often do you reboot Synology? Maybe I didn’t notice it because mine usually is up for long periods.

Those errors are normal, you can search thread for them - this was answered few times before.

Removing package with or without add-ons will keep all your settings, as they are not in same location. Docker container has access to your drives and your local drive keeps all configuration files.

If you want to start from scratch, you need to completely remove hass.io folder with all subfolders.

I’ve been using this package for months and its been working great so thank you @fredrike !

One thing I do notice is that it takes AGES to start Hassio - I had a power cut the other night and it took ~35 mins from when the Synology was booted, for the Supervisor/Hass/Addons to start.
Supervisor seems to start then really slowly fire up all the other containers, during the time I see no real resource usage on the synology.
I have a small handful of addons (6) and my Synology is running an i5-4590 with 16GB RAM, so is no slouch.

I also see slow restart of HASS when I use the HA server controls (takes up to 10 minutes to restart) - sometimes when it comes back it reports that some of the built in components (like history) didn’t start.
I’ve tried to remove the HA database to purge the history data it needs to load (not that it would cause the first issue i’m seeing), but it didn’t help.

Anyone else get anything like this?

2 Likes

Synology or Xpenology?

Xpenology - It’s emulating DS918+

Lately, quite often, because I am in the process of setting up a new NAS. Shortcuts disappear from the bar every time I do a synology reboot (I have never had such a problem. It started when I switched to dockers). I have also put up new instances - and there is also a problem with them.

Ps.#2 I made a video:

As for mqtt, the problem is rather tangible, because it is enough for the zigbee docker to load a little faster than the mosquitto. The probability of an error seems high, since they load at random.

Got it, thanks. 2 more things. How do I get Synology to appear as a media server and where do I put the folder for Google assistant integration? The documentation says the config folder which doesn’t appear to exist.

I currently use an Intel NUC for Home Assistant + add ons and it works fine.

I am considering getting a decent spec Synology (official) device and am wondering if I can easily move from the NUC to the Synology and then retire the NUC and just keep one “always on” device? I would want to keep the addon store and relevant addons if possible on the Synology. I am also looking for a “low touch” option i.e. I do not want to be troubleshooting extra things due to this setup!

Any advice or experience appreciated.

Is it possible to add a path to certificates to the environment? So that you wouldn’t have to copy them to the home-asssitant “/ssl” directory, but refer directly to the Synology?
I mean:
/usr/syno/etc/certificate:/certificate

Haven’t played, but I have script in Synology (Task) that does that automagically:

SRC="/usr/syno/etc/certificate/system/default" 
DEST="/volume1/docker/hass.io/ssl" 
if [ ! -f "$DEST/fullchain.pem" ] || [ "$SRC/fullchain.pem" -nt "$DEST/fullchain.pem" ]; then
  cp "$SRC/fullchain.pem" "$DEST/"
  cp "$SRC/privkey.pem" "$DEST/"
  chown root:root "$DEST/fullchain.pem" "$DEST/privkey.pem"
  chmod 600 "$DEST/fullchain.pem" "$DEST/privkey.pem"
  /usr/syno/bin/synowebapi --exec api=SYNO.Docker.Container version=1 method=restart name=homeassistant
fi
1 Like

Are there any issues with hassio_x64-6.1_20190813-6dd0666c.spk ? I have installed on synology 918+ with docker and the supervised button in the navigation when clicked goes to blank page. I reinstalled and it was just the same. If i look in docker all the containers are started.

After a while a popup appears. Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js.
does work in chrome or edge

Is there a specific reason why are you using this version? Current release is from September 2020, a version before that was December 2019.

In regard to Supervisor being blank page - that is usually resolved by stopping the package and restarting it (it can take 2-3 tries).
Also, some have resolved it by force stopping Supervisor from Docker and starting it.

There are two ways to migrate, but easiest is that you use backup (snapshot) from within supervisor and then just reload it with new installation.
If you wait (for 1 more day), new version (0.116) will bring ability to import backup during initial startup of HA, so you can restore it even faster.
Other option is to copy content of config folder (that’s folder where all yaml files are) including all (including hidden) other folders.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate this? If you are using Plex or Emby, you can integrate them. If you wanted to integrate media folder as is in HA, that’s a bit harder…

Same, config folder, that “homeassistant” folder, where all other configuration files (and subfolders) are - usually, it something like /docker/hass.io/homeassistant
But I’m not sure I understand - what folder for Google Assistant? I have it and there was no need to create any fodler.

I didn’t see a 2020 version. Can you point me in the direction of the latest version please.

OK, I get it… Can’t help you with that. I think I had this only once happened and can’t remember what I did or did I have to remove/add them to sidebar, or if I just restarted Supervisor one more time.

Sure - did you add SynoCommunity in your Package center in Synology? You can check here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBYUbj0B5Q&t=275s
There should be in list of packages hass.io from Fredrick. You don’t need to enable BETA version as it’s out of beta now.

1 Like