Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

Lately, quite often, because I am in the process of setting up a new NAS. Shortcuts disappear from the bar every time I do a synology reboot (I have never had such a problem. It started when I switched to dockers). I have also put up new instances - and there is also a problem with them.

Ps.#2 I made a video:

As for mqtt, the problem is rather tangible, because it is enough for the zigbee docker to load a little faster than the mosquitto. The probability of an error seems high, since they load at random.

Got it, thanks. 2 more things. How do I get Synology to appear as a media server and where do I put the folder for Google assistant integration? The documentation says the config folder which doesn’t appear to exist.

I currently use an Intel NUC for Home Assistant + add ons and it works fine.

I am considering getting a decent spec Synology (official) device and am wondering if I can easily move from the NUC to the Synology and then retire the NUC and just keep one “always on” device? I would want to keep the addon store and relevant addons if possible on the Synology. I am also looking for a “low touch” option i.e. I do not want to be troubleshooting extra things due to this setup!

Any advice or experience appreciated.

Is it possible to add a path to certificates to the environment? So that you wouldn’t have to copy them to the home-asssitant “/ssl” directory, but refer directly to the Synology?
I mean:
/usr/syno/etc/certificate:/certificate

Haven’t played, but I have script in Synology (Task) that does that automagically:

SRC="/usr/syno/etc/certificate/system/default" 
DEST="/volume1/docker/hass.io/ssl" 
if [ ! -f "$DEST/fullchain.pem" ] || [ "$SRC/fullchain.pem" -nt "$DEST/fullchain.pem" ]; then
  cp "$SRC/fullchain.pem" "$DEST/"
  cp "$SRC/privkey.pem" "$DEST/"
  chown root:root "$DEST/fullchain.pem" "$DEST/privkey.pem"
  chmod 600 "$DEST/fullchain.pem" "$DEST/privkey.pem"
  /usr/syno/bin/synowebapi --exec api=SYNO.Docker.Container version=1 method=restart name=homeassistant
fi
1 Like

Are there any issues with hassio_x64-6.1_20190813-6dd0666c.spk ? I have installed on synology 918+ with docker and the supervised button in the navigation when clicked goes to blank page. I reinstalled and it was just the same. If i look in docker all the containers are started.

After a while a popup appears. Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js.
does work in chrome or edge

Is there a specific reason why are you using this version? Current release is from September 2020, a version before that was December 2019.

In regard to Supervisor being blank page - that is usually resolved by stopping the package and restarting it (it can take 2-3 tries).
Also, some have resolved it by force stopping Supervisor from Docker and starting it.

There are two ways to migrate, but easiest is that you use backup (snapshot) from within supervisor and then just reload it with new installation.
If you wait (for 1 more day), new version (0.116) will bring ability to import backup during initial startup of HA, so you can restore it even faster.
Other option is to copy content of config folder (that’s folder where all yaml files are) including all (including hidden) other folders.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate this? If you are using Plex or Emby, you can integrate them. If you wanted to integrate media folder as is in HA, that’s a bit harder…

Same, config folder, that “homeassistant” folder, where all other configuration files (and subfolders) are - usually, it something like /docker/hass.io/homeassistant
But I’m not sure I understand - what folder for Google Assistant? I have it and there was no need to create any fodler.

I didn’t see a 2020 version. Can you point me in the direction of the latest version please.

OK, I get it… Can’t help you with that. I think I had this only once happened and can’t remember what I did or did I have to remove/add them to sidebar, or if I just restarted Supervisor one more time.

Sure - did you add SynoCommunity in your Package center in Synology? You can check here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBYUbj0B5Q&t=275s
There should be in list of packages hass.io from Fredrick. You don’t need to enable BETA version as it’s out of beta now.

1 Like

I think I’m looking at the harder option here as the idea was going to be to integrate my Synology music folder into ha.

I’m open to adding Plex to my Synology and migrating to a Plex server if that is easier/makes more sense.

How would I go about either approach.

Can you pass through e.g. zwave USB sticks to home assistant using Synology?

Yes I have the aeotec z Stich gen 5 plugged into a 916+ running this package. I have about 8 zwave devices working well.

1 Like

If you have a device capable of running virtual appliance (x86_64/UEFI) I highly suggest that you follow the official guide: Installation - Home Assistant

Post #12:

Thanks @fredrike - I like your package approach since I’m running my Synology on bare metal anyway, along with a bunch of other docker containers on it. So it means I don’t have to run a VM on the Synology which would be restricted to the VM resources.

Have you seen anything like the behaviour I have with really slow start-up of the containers?
(Hass.io on Synology DSM (native package))

I totally understand if you say go away, since it’s not a ‘real’ synology :slight_smile: - but it’s odd as everything else I run on it works perfectly.

Perhaps, it is not so easy that the supervisor triggers an update and re-provision the whole system?

The go away is more due to this is a “hack” that is totally unsupported by the core HomeAssistant team. As you can see through this thread there are issues that the core team don’t are interested in.

my first few installs were from the community addons. But i’m sure all the versions were 2019. I was having issues so thought i’d try the version on the dropbox. But turns out its old by this chat.

Help please !

Hassio became suddently unavailable.
I’m using the synocomunity package from fredrike, version 20200910-2

It was working well for a while.
Just before it crash, I had add successfuly a Yeelight integration (4 lamps).
Then, I tried to open File editor and get an error.
I checked in HACS and saw 2 updates available. I poke both update buttons.
As it was taking a while, I tried to restart Hassio and…
Unable to reach it !!!

The last “home-assistant.log” file has a time stamp with te approximative hour of those ultimate changes.
I tried many times to stop/run the packet, stop the packet and the dockers packet then re-run the packet.
The only thing I get is by running the package, all docker’s package run too except addon_core_check_config.

I’m thinking about uninstall the package and re-install it but I’m afrraid to loose all my config.

Any advice / idea please ?