Hass.io on VMWare ESXi 6.7 - Step By Step

I expect the Hass.io appliance is set up for the desktop VMWare Player - ESXi can fulfill these requirements without conversion of the drive, it just does not default to them.

Hi,
I’ve followed your instruction and created the vm with latest vmdk file of Hassio. Now, the vm is running fine, I can ping it from other machine but I can load the web interface on any of the browsers from any other computers within my network.

I am using esxi 6.7
tried using on Firefox, chrome, IE 11 and edge.
also did use the port number to browse (port 8123).
also have tried changing all vm nic type including E1000.

Not sure is this an issue with esxi or the vm.

Does the host gets an IP?

Yeah. Please refer to the picture.

should work by browsing to http://192.168.15.4:8123

192.168.15.x is your local subnet right?

Yep, 192.168.15.x is the local subnet. For this, I have rebuild another esxi server and deployed another Hassio host vm. But it is still the same. On the same subnet, .35 last octed.

can you ping host ? you are using http right? and not https ?

do you have the righ ip?

Look for the IP with

1. login
  2. ip a

because in the vmware Center its shows 192.168.15.4 and you said 192.168.15.35 (picture)

that .35 is probably on his other esxi server , so my guess the ip’s were right

Really appreciate your contribution. Yeah, Fabio is right. It is on second hardware. So! I’ve installed ESXi on a desktop this time, thinking the one on the laptop might have some low-level networking issue. But it was not the case.

I am still not understanding when I have installed Hass.io through docker on Linux, only then I could access the web interface. However, I wanted that running independently as a separate VM along with my other servers.

All I have done is run the vmdk file as Fabio’s instruction. I haven’t even made any change on it.

1 Like

Hi Fabio,
Thanks for help me with it. Yeah. I’ve tried both. Http and Https. Tried even different browsers. ::frowning:

no idea whats wrong :frowning: everything looks ok to me

Thanks anyway, at least you’ve tried. To be honest with you, it is not making sense to me at all. I don’t see anything wrong with it. Anyways, I’ll keep trying.

Ok :wink:

Are you able to ping it? Maybe you can start from another HassOs release? Like download HassOs stable 2.x , afterwards it can be upgraded to 3.x

I have the vmdk installed in my esxi. It booted up no problem. But it’s been stuck at “preparing home assistant” for 2 hours. Im guessing it’s actually hung up now. Just wondering if there is an easier way to play with hass.io. If i had an unused pi to do a full install i would but i have none free at the moment.

Hmm, strange, what are you setting ? I use Linux 64 bit

what do you mean what am i setting? as far as the OS? i used what i found regarding setting it up. debian 9 x64 if that’s what you mean :slight_smile:

yeah, for the OS, i use : Linux 64 bit , Network: E1000 , IDE Boot: UEFI
thats about it

i got back from lunch and it’s ok now. No idea why it took so long. But it appears to be fine. So off i go to play now!

Tried it on ESXi 6.0 but it doesn’t finish booting up. It just loops forever along the network region of the boot-up process. Any help appreciated.