Hass.io on VMWare ESXi 6.7 - Step By Step

you meight have uploaded the .gz file instead of the extracted vmdk

Been following your instructions, but get an error when booting up in vmware:

The operation on the file "/vmfs/devices/deltadisks/7d9b2027-hassos_ova-4.10-s001.vmdk" failed (14 (Bad address)). The file system where disk "/vmfs/devices/deltadisks/7d9b2027-hassos_ova-4.10-s001.vmdk" resides is full. Select Retry to attempt the operation again. Select Cancel to end the session.

I have 100GB free in that datastore though.

I have the same problem on ESXi 6.7. The VM errors with “object type requires hosted i/o”, I check the VMDK and it starts up fine, but I have to do this whenever the host reboots (no UPS for now). I don’t have this with any other vm but this is the only one with IDE. Running HassOS 4.10.

Im running HA on VMWare 6.7U3 too.
I have a lot of trouble regarding the strange decision to use a IDE controller in the VM.
Snapshots do not work with IDE!
Everytime i want to do a snapshot or make a working backup of the whole VM i have to shutdown the VM.
Hope the devs can adress this thing, and switch to SATA.
Using IDE on VMWare VMs is always a bad idea.

I was able to boot the VMDK by cloning it, changing the disk adapterType, then using the Paravirtual driver:

Clone:
vmkfstools -i hassos_ova-3.12.vmdk hass_scsi.vmdk -d thin

edit the “small” vmdk and change ide to:
ddb.adapterType = “lsilogic”

I then tried booting with the LSI Logic Parallel controller type but it got stuck, was able to boot with VMware Paravirtual.

I don’t know if this will fix the “hosted I/O” error, will see.

1 Like

See my reply below. I saw the the disk was /dev/sda so I assumed it was SATA, not parallel IDE, and was able to boot it with the Paravirtual driver after cloning the disk and editing the adapter type.

Will try it. Would be fine if i can make automated snapshot backups…

1 Like

Happy to report that after making the change from IDE to VMware Paravirtual controllers I didn’t get the “hosted i/o” error message after my ESXi server went down hard and rebooted.

Cloning and editing the adapter type did not work for me. The VM cannot boot up.

Hmm…try adding “-a lsilogic” to the end of your vmkfstools command line. I recall it telling me that was deprecated and ignored but maybe it’s still needed.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1028042

Will give it another try today. :+1:

Hi boys…
I installed HA on the my Intel nuc with esxi 6.7u3, but the Bluetooth internal not exist… We have one solutions?
Thank you…

I have a Hue hub (Zigbee) and an Abode alarm (Zigbee and Zwave), my VM doesn’t have any physical hardware tied to it.

I just wanted to add - you should definitely increase the disk size from 6gb. You can’t install newer versions of HA easily unless you do.

I didn’t do this, but I just resized it in vSphere and something must have resized things. Doesn’t make any sense… I would still recommend doing it early!

I had to do it in order to upgrade Home Assistant.

It’s indeed not enough :wink:

I have mine on 15

Question about usb passthrough.

Currently successfully run homeassistant on esxi 6.7 with 3 usb devices passed through (conbee, zwave, serial).

What I wonder is if it is possible in any whay (esxi passthrough or other) to “forward” a USB port to esxi.

I would like to be able to couple an decouple usb devices on the fly. Thus without shutdown hass, usb passthrough in sexi, start hass etc.

Thus not usb device passthrough but usb port passthrough.

I would like to be able to flash via the esphome addon esp8266 devices via usb easiliy via homeassistant.

Is this possible? Or is thesome easy workaround to have a ser2net or other working solution in homeassistant to usb passthrough or connect a port …

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

well, i alos have conbee, it was enought tu passthrough the device
but i also have an USB camera, now attached to HA itself local
it was not enought to passtrough the device it self

i needed to passthrough the whole USB controller , so if you pass the controller ‘pci card’, tne you have all devices normally

And how can one do that on esxi?

wll, first of all, you need a CPU can handle virtualization; so not a celelor or something like that :slight_smile:
then in esxi, goto : host => manage => hardware => pci devices
select there the USB controller, enable passthrough
reboot esxi
afterwards, just add the pci card to your virtual machine

1 Like

Ah, ok… so you mean I will try that. Thank you.