HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

Well I guess I’m going to give it a try first then…

1 Like

I don‘t think that the SSD will be the problem, it is always the controller that the Pi don‘t like.

I thought so too in the beginning. But many comments on my RPi4 SSD boot installation guide told me otherwise.

Looks like 5.8 was just released as stable production.

Yes I only noticed, it is weird that it has not yet appeared in HA as an update.

Well, I had a feeling this was true, but it looks like the updater/notifications only update once a day:

Okay, I updated this version manually and I’ll see what happens in the next version.

strange is that ssd boot is not mentioned in blog article describing new os features

And usb ssd boot doesn’t work now. One step forward, two steps back

1 Like

Indeed killed my install :frowning:

Indeed - strange. Was it mentioned in previous 5.x released maybe ? I need to look. By now based on info from this thread I will stay on 5.6 which works for me with no issues already for 10 days.

Especially seeing all those posts about system not being booted after OS upgrade to 5.8 (mainly from 4.x I suppose)

@Craig_Burton @Nikolay - so you have been running SSD on 5.6 and now when upgrading to 5.8 it does not boot ? Where does it stop ? What is the issue ?

Yes, I stupidly woke up this morning and saw the 5.8 update and thought I’d go for it.

It didn’t come back online so I hooked it up to a monitor and it was repeating an error that sd card not found.

I’ve not had time to fix it as yet but did try to boot a vanilla install from usb which failed also. Seems the boot from usb/ssd in the eeprom is borked. I’ll flash a rasbian image and see.

Not happy

1 Like

Yes. RPI 4b 8Gb. Clean image 5.6 64x can boot directly from USB SSD. 5.8 — can’t. Upgrade from 5.6 to 5.8 was failed. RPI just froze

and no word from devs

There is one issue on github related to 5.8:

and one for 5.7:

This morning, I updated the Supervisor from 0.118.4 to 2020.12.0 and Home Assistant OS from 5.6 to 5.8. Both updates were done via the UI, and both seemed to have gone without issue. This is on an RPi4 using, and booting from, an SSD.

However, I have to say that I have not rebooted the system, and judging from these reports, I am rather reluctant to do so.

So I did a clean 5.8 install (didn’t use the upgrade function from 5.6) with:

RPI 4 4GB
External powered USB3.0 hub with:
Samsung EVO 970 500Gb NvME M.2
SSK Aluminum M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter, USB 3.1 Gen 2

Everything installed and rebooted fine. This is the first time everything has gone smoothly with this setup.

Here the update from HassOS 5.7 to HassOS 5.8 was done using a USB flash drive and everything is fine. Then update HA from version 0.118.0 to version 2020.12.0 using the user interface and everything went smoothly, everything works fine.Rpi4 8Gb board sata x825 SSD Kingston 120Gb.