HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

Indeed killed my install :frowning:

Indeed - strange. Was it mentioned in previous 5.x released maybe ? I need to look. By now based on info from this thread I will stay on 5.6 which works for me with no issues already for 10 days.

Especially seeing all those posts about system not being booted after OS upgrade to 5.8 (mainly from 4.x I suppose)

@Craig_Burton @Nikolay - so you have been running SSD on 5.6 and now when upgrading to 5.8 it does not boot ? Where does it stop ? What is the issue ?

Yes, I stupidly woke up this morning and saw the 5.8 update and thought I’d go for it.

It didn’t come back online so I hooked it up to a monitor and it was repeating an error that sd card not found.

I’ve not had time to fix it as yet but did try to boot a vanilla install from usb which failed also. Seems the boot from usb/ssd in the eeprom is borked. I’ll flash a rasbian image and see.

Not happy

1 Like

Yes. RPI 4b 8Gb. Clean image 5.6 64x can boot directly from USB SSD. 5.8 — can’t. Upgrade from 5.6 to 5.8 was failed. RPI just froze

and no word from devs

There is one issue on github related to 5.8:

and one for 5.7:

This morning, I updated the Supervisor from 0.118.4 to 2020.12.0 and Home Assistant OS from 5.6 to 5.8. Both updates were done via the UI, and both seemed to have gone without issue. This is on an RPi4 using, and booting from, an SSD.

However, I have to say that I have not rebooted the system, and judging from these reports, I am rather reluctant to do so.

So I did a clean 5.8 install (didn’t use the upgrade function from 5.6) with:

RPI 4 4GB
External powered USB3.0 hub with:
Samsung EVO 970 500Gb NvME M.2
SSK Aluminum M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter, USB 3.1 Gen 2

Everything installed and rebooted fine. This is the first time everything has gone smoothly with this setup.

Here the update from HassOS 5.7 to HassOS 5.8 was done using a USB flash drive and everything is fine. Then update HA from version 0.118.0 to version 2020.12.0 using the user interface and everything went smoothly, everything works fine.Rpi4 8Gb board sata x825 SSD Kingston 120Gb.

Update yesterday to HassOS 5.8 using “ha os update --version=5.8” from ssh. No problems. Today update to 2020.12.0. No problems.

I also updated with this method. But did you make a reboot afterwards?

One reboot, very fast. After couple minutes everything is up and running.

It appears that the Pi is waiting to boot from SD card only and is not trying to boot from SSD - I could be wrong but this seems to be the behaviour that others have reported.

To get it to boot with 5.8, if yours fails to start by itself, remove the SSD and power the Pi on - wait about 5 seconds then plug in the SSD and it should start up.

Tried it, no, it doesn’t work

That’s a shame. It worked here and a friend did the same to restore his.

Ok. You are was partially right. The problem was in USB Zigbee Stick. For some reason system trying to boot from first USB and ignore others USB ports. My fault.

Hey all, just fyi, just upgraded my Rpi setup from SD to SSD. I managed it using this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-GxF6sd5M. Just follow these instructions, pick the latest stable release for the SSD and it all worked like a charm. Don’t forget to remove the sd card at the end (so it’ll use the SSD for HA). When having the first screen of HA again, if you want to use the recovery, that one worked like a charm as well, but it’ll take a while till it’s all recovered. Just wait a few minutes and try again.

UPDATE: Ok, 1 thing is down still, that’s the ZHA integration with my Conbee II stick. From all of my devices (Aqara motion, Aqara door, Aqara leak, Philips Hue bulbs, Philips Hue motion, Ikea Tradfri, Osram Plug), only the Philips Hue Motion is back after the whole recovery. It seems like there is an issue with that plugin inside the snapshot or something? Anyone familiar with it?

UPDATE 2: I’ve added a usb extension cable between the conbee 2 and my rpi. First I had it directly inserted, but based on the documentation of conbee itself, the recommendation is to add that extension cable. Thanks to the guys on Discord for pointing that out. Also watch out to keep using the same USB port as before, just add the SSD on a free usb port.

Hi all,
I use a Raspberry Pi4 with Home Assistant OS on a SD Card (64Go)
I add a USB external disk (2To). I transfer the data with this method : https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/blob/7c70e3ef8491e4abd4123097b7ed6258afda7047/Documentation/partition.md
Everything seems to be good and my installation is still up after reboot. I check files on external drive and they were effectively transfered.
But when I check on Home Assistant UI, disk size is still 64 Go and not 2To (size of the external disk).
I try to copy some files (> 60 Go) on media folder and I have an issue (not enough available space).
Why the size of my installation is still 64 Go ?

Thanks in advance for your answer