HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

What is the difference between hassIO and hassOS? I have installed raspiand and HA on top of that. It seems to be hassio because I have hassio tab with backups and addon store. My issue is that I have only community addon without the standard one with duckdns, etc.

@Bartek_Pes HassOS is

Sorry, but it still not clear for me. To run HA on 3b+ with SSD the easiest way for beginners isā€¦? The differences between hassOS i hassIO in terms of file size is only few MB.

If hass.io run on hassos. Then the file from https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/ should containt image wirh hassOS with hassIO on top of that. Correct?

If you use the HassOS install method, you can only run Hass.io and add-ons available in Hass.io. That may be all you want, and in that case, it is the best method. It is simple and beginner friendly.

You may want to run some other applications or programs that are not available as an add-on in Hass.io, then you would install Hass.io over Raspbian. I would recommend this 2nd method if you are using a USB SSD, other may disagree.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. I have managed to successful install hassOS. I was looking for simple solution that works with SSD. Raspbian seems to be more for advanced users.

HassOS needs to be maintained or all updates will be done automatically by updates in UI in hassio?

When you run HassOS the first time it will go out and grab the latest HassIO docker images to run. HassOS download does not contain HassIO until it boots the first time and downloads the docker images.

HassOS is an appliance. You donā€™t do anything in the OS at all. All updates are handled from the UI in HassIO

1 Like

Hey @truglodite,

Do you think we can upgrade HassOS to 3.5? It looks like it now supports SSD.

Thanks

Yes I donā€™t see why you couldnā€™t. 3.5 is just building upon 3.4. So it also has rpi usb boot capability. With 3.5 out now, users looking to switch to ssd should use that instead of 3.4. Hereā€™s the link to the rpi3 32bit image for convenience:

https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/releases/download/3.5/hassos_rpi3-3.5.img.gz

Also, check out the ā€œ(RC)ā€ statusā€¦ woohoo! Weā€™re about one step away from usb boot on an official release (2.13). With the pace of development typical of the hass team, I bet itā€™ll hit within a few weeks.

@Bartek_Pes, what flamingm0e saidā€¦ just wanted to add that for the updates, you use the hassio update button on the dashboard. Do not confuse this with the hassos update button under the ā€˜Systemā€™ page, which updates the hassos image to the latest release. Since the latest release of hassos is 2.12 (no usb boot yet), doing that now will leave your pi unable to reboot from ssd! As I mentioned above, it looks like the usb boot feature is going to be released with hassos 2.13. So this minor issue should be fixed very soon. To be clear, this minor issue is not a good reason to avoid moving to ssdā€¦ hassio and all plugins are still kept up to date with the dashboard update buttonā€¦ you just have to resist hitting that os update button on the system page until 2.13 comes out.

@truglodite, I am now confused.
:8123/hassio/dashboard -> udpate of hassio and HA
:8123/hassio/system -> update of host system (my current is HassOS 3.4), if I hit the update button then my HassOS will downgrade to 2.12? It is a bit confusing why my version is much higher than the official one.

Wow. That wasā€¦ remarkably painless!

Rate-limiting step before was that I didnā€™t have a USB-C to USB-A cable - good old Amazon sorted me out though.

Following the steps above - everything worked first time, and SUPER rapid - HassOS installed in about 4 minutes, as opposed to the half hour I usually have to wait!

For whomever is updating the list of compatible devices (is that you, @truglodite?) I can confirm the following setup works flawlessly:

rPI 3B+
Crucial 256GB BX100
Aukey USB-C external SSD enclosure
AmazonBasics USB-C to USB-A cable

No faffing about with SD cards for bootcode.bin or stuff like that - plug and play using HassOS 3.5 RC.

Dreamy! Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hahaha THATā€™S why I screwed up my first trial run! Should have read this first. Never mind, all fixed now!

FYI, I did the update from 3.4 to RC 3.5 using the update button. It took me a couple of manual unplug (I donā€™t know why), but Iā€™m now on HassOS 3.5 with my SSD.

I have booted 3.5 RC from a usb flash drive on an Rpi 3b after setting the usb boot mode as a test and restored a snapshot of my main system.

I noticed the status page said there was a HassOS update. I did this and it failed to reboot after that. Not sure why it thought there was an update.

Would like to see info about working ssd and cable combinations.

Also, can I ask if you power your SSD directly from the pi usb port?

@Crhass, see above. Latest HassOS stable release is 2.12. The 3.5RC version will try to ā€˜updateā€™ to the latest stable version. So when you clicked Update it actually downgraded you to 2.12 - which is why it doesnā€™t boot any more. Just reinstall 3.5 as you did originally.

FWIW Iā€™m running my instance off an SSD powered directly from the Pi USB, no other power cables required

1 Like

I believe that is one of the two unused expansion options in my surplus that Iā€™m trying to decide between. Iā€™m torn between the HDD I have, the m.2/usb hat or picking up a cheap SSD when I go get a Pi4 from MicroCenter.

Iā€™m also trying to not go to MicroCenter because thatā€™s an easy $200 gone in less than an hour. In the last 2 weeksā€¦ work has had me driving past MicroCenter 3 timesā€¦ one of these days itā€™ll be at the end of the day and I wonā€™t have the restraint.

If you select ā€œJoin beta channelā€ under system, afterwards the hassos ā€œUpdateā€ button under the system tab will download the latest RC or release image of hassos (currently 3.5rc). This will work fine for folks following the new usb boot method. OTOH, ff you do not join the beta channel, hitting update will download and install the latest release (non-rc, which is currently that would be 2.12). As mentioned before, this will result in your pi not being able to boot from ssd (this will more or less hose your usb boot setup).

So again for clarity, if you are rockinā€™ usb boot hassos via the 3.4 or 3.5 image, be sure to join the beta channel before hitting the update button on the system page. This should only be necessary in the short term, until an official release with usb boot comes out. Once that happens, the os update button will be safe to use without needing to join the beta channel.

1 Like

Just a quick update to confirm that updating hassos via the gui ā€˜updateā€™ button located on the ā€˜systemā€™ tab worked perfectly for me. After clicking ā€˜join beta channelā€™ I hit update, hassos 3.5 downloaded, installed, and rebooted on itā€™s own as expected. No additional reboots needed, and everything just worked like before.

So now there really wonā€™t be much of a guide needed for this, since the primary hassio install guide will link to 3.5rc. Basically joining the beta channel is not necessary for this to work now that it is an ā€œrcā€. The only thing that might be added to that guide is that you can (or rather should) etch the image to an ssd instead of an sd cardā€¦ and maybe some info about USB boot mode, weak 5v supplies, etcā€¦ just in case.

Also, folks who have pi4ā€™s on handā€¦ reading the devs postings it sounds like 3.5rc is now booting properly on pi4!

2 Likes

Can confirm it worked flawlessly for me. iitrust USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter and SanDisk SSD Plus 240 gb. Its so much more responsive, this really ought to be the default install method now, especially once the 4 allows USB boot.

1 Like

Got this working on my pi 3 but need to leave a small sd card in the slot with boot file and delay file for reliable reboots. I guess I could enable the one time programmable delay as most people on here seem to want to remove the SD card. On some of the pi forums the users feel that this increases processor use by around 10% as the pi keeps scanning for an inserted SD card. Maybe HassOS doesnā€™t do this?