HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

Hi all, following this discussion I managed to install hassio on a 120gb OWC ssd directly to my raspberry 3b+, I recovered a backup but with errors on the database, so I deleted it. After a reboot I saw that in system there was the button update, I clicked it, now the system is not starting, I can redo all steps reflashing the image on the ssd and recovering the backup, I only ask if the HassOS must be NOT UPDATED to avoid breaking the setup, is it right?
I used 3.5 RC image

You can update, but you need to be on the beta channel. Even if you installed 3.5, the default update will take you to the latest release (2.12 I think, but dont quote me on it). If you are on the beta channel an update ought to be fine.

1 Like

I have PI4 donā€™t stat up with SSDā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for giving it a try and reporting back. I wish I could get in on the testing myself, but even if I had a pi4 on hand, life is taking up all of my ā€˜hobby timeā€™ lately.

When pi4ā€™s first launched the devs mentioned something about a fundamental problem with pi4 USB boot that may make this all not possible until proper drivers are written for it. This of course would be a high priority among the pi community. So we could expect it to be working sooner than later. Pi4 is for all intensive purposes, still in the early adopter phase (if that phrase even applies to maker ware like piā€™s).

First the EPROM PI4 boot to Network (now is in beta), after USB boot.

We just have to waitā€¦

Hi @truglodite, this more recent Rpi forum thread gives a very useful update on setting up a boot from a SSD. In particular it references some of the timing issues that lie at the root of why some devices work and others donā€™t, plus advice on options to overcome some of those limitations.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225812#p1385832

Further to this, could you confirm that given your branch has now been merged with the main dev branch it is OK to hit the Update button as yet? Scratch that. I realise now Iā€™ve confused the Update button reference. You were referring to the hassos Update button not the dashboard hassio Update button.

1 Like

hello, sorry Iā€™m comfortable ā€¦ I installed on sd hassos 3.5 for pi4, inserted, started, configured, ejected, cloned on ssd ā€¦ but restarting the pi4 with ssd the ssd does not turn on. I also tried to update the pi4 firmware with raspbian but nothing. if on hassio I access the beta channel I donā€™t see any further updates so I assume itā€™s the correct version 3.5 ā€¦ suggestions please?

Try BURN image directly on SSD, not clone. I did, even though I use a Pi3 B +.
@truglodite Many thanks for your information

As far as I know, PI4 does not support usb boot yet so you are not able to boot PI4 without SD card.

Yeah you have to have SD card plugged in so it can boot, it will load of it then transfer control to SSD.

@truglodite @Crhass

Are you getting reliable reboots with your setups?

My mileage seems to vary greatly. ā€œRestartingā€ Home Assistant from the ā€œServer Controlā€ section in Configuration works reliably. Rebooting the host from the ā€œHass.io->Systemā€ page is more of a miss than a hit.

Any tips? Is the only sure-fire way to have an SD card with a boot partition in there?

Thanks for the help.

I have noticed the same, restart works but full restart doesnā€™t always work. Upgrades have been ok.

I have noticed booting is more reliable with an SD card in the pi. See the post below. Try the card with the bootcode file and also add the delay although you probably donā€™t need that if you set the one time programmable boot delay. I used a 128mb SD card so only needs to be small.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225812

Thanks for the feedback. Will do some testing and probably settle on having an SD in there.

Cheers.

I also read that some have noticed higher CPU usage when the SD card slot is empty as the pi is constantly scanning for a card to be inserted. Not sure if this applies to HassOS though. I am not currently using an SD card but if I have any issues, I will pop one in.

@Crhass

Yup, saw that about the higher CPU usage.

Since doing the SD bootcode.bin thing seems to be the surest bet for now, I think Iā€™ll even revert to using a RasPi 2 I have around; itā€™s been my Home Assistant daily driver so far, and the switch to SSD is where Iā€™m getting my bang-for-buck.

Testing now.

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to get my Pi 3B+ to work with this solution but I cannot get it to work yet. When I use Etcher to burn Raspbian Lite to my SSD (Kensington A400) the Pi will boot just fine. However, if I burn HassOS 3.4 or 3.5 to the SSD it will not boot. The LEDā€™s on the SATA-USB adapter blink for a few seconds and then they both turn off briefly, afterwards only the power LED in the adapter lights up.
Even after a few minutes Iā€™m not able to successfully ping to the Pi. Iā€™ve now also tried to use the microsd with a blank timeout file in the root of the microsd as well as the Raspberry bootcode.bin file but that did not help either.

Unfortunately I donā€™t have another USB-SATA adapter at hand to test. I think itā€™s strange that the adapter works fine with Raspbian and when its connected to my MacBook. Has anyone seen similar issues?

I used win32diskimager and not etcher and used the hassio 3.5 image on pi 3b. Same drive as you. It seems unlikely to be your cable if rasbian boots. Another thing to check is that the ip address you are pinging is correct. You could also try copying the bootcode.bin file from the ssd to the microsd

I was looking for a faster micro sd card and came across this project. I decided before I buy I would see if I had anything that would work. I had a Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB portable with or without power, nope.

Next I tried a Costco 512 Lexar SSD from a few years ago.
My 2.5A power was not enough juice so I had to use a powered USB Hub. Will probably pick up the Kingston etc . So I can have my USB Hub back and ssd LOL.

I have just successfully installed hassio with the method stated here. Raspberry pi 3b+ crucial ssd 120 gb 2.5 USB to sata.
Just like you I had issues. Tried 2 cables and was the same. The third cable did the trick. Booting up is slow compared to SD card. But eventually it will work. Try changing the cables to pi and it took me about 8 reboots. Half way through when I checked my ssd the config folder with my WiFi settings was deleted somehow hence I was seeing wlan0 link not ready while booting up.
Added that back and took about 15 mins for ā€œpreparing hassioā€ screen to comeup. Patience is what you need and also reboots.

Also restored from backup.
Only today so might wait few weeks before commenting on speed and reliability.
Thanks @truglodite just landed on this thread day before searching for something on hassio. 3 sd cards changed so far. Hopefully this would be reliable

Forgot to mention I didnā€™t use the timeout file and it still works.