HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

I have one question :slight_smile:when you follow these instructions
"Log in as root to get to the Home Assistant CLI and then enter login to continue to the host. "

what do you do after ā€˜loginā€™. i try to enter root and it mentioned incorrect login.
thanks for your help

I have the same at the beginning(login incorrect). It is not possible to connect via ssh web interface or PuTTY without perform some action :

1. Enable ssh connection with authorized key (you can generate key with Putty)
  2. Add you public key in your device (with usb drive)

All these actions are described in these two links : DATACTL Tutorial & Enable SSH for developpers

Donā€™t forget to connect on the 22222 port

So this worked for me.

1st I had to update the firmware of my USB controller, to one that supports NO_UAS. Then I have to boot the pi and unplug/plug the drive and it will boot.

Annoying but at least it is working. hopefully there will be another firmware update from Pi foundation to fix it in the future, if not I may go back to the old firmware

Thank you, this was the only way I could get mine to boot. Iā€™ve now fixed this though by adding the following to the pi eepromā€¦

USB_MSD_PWR_OFF_TIME=0

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2711_bootloader_config.md

2 Likes

I did an upgrade from OS 5.2 to 5.8 and from 0.118 to 2020.12 via the GUI and all went well and the Pi4 4gb booted up just fine. I have a Intenso SSD and a Sabrent SATA Cable Adapter, USB 3.0.

But now it seems that the whole thing has been crashing every now and then completely. It might be once per day or every two days that Home Assistant completely stops to respond and I have to unplug the power and plug it back in. Then it starts normally. I did notice that if itā€™s down for a long time (crashed during the night), the Pi is really hot (75 degrees, when itā€™s maybe 60C normally). Difficult to troubleshoot as the logs do not go far enough or are maybe cleared regarding the host.

Edit: I think this is the issue:

I just started having a similar issue. The only difference I had is I just recently upgraded to an SSD. I did not see any issues with my SD Memory device with the same 5.8 and 2012.7. I only started having this issue once I converted to SSD. I have been running on the SSD for 4 days and had to restart twice.

Hmm, it does seem that it might be SSD related. Then again, I think someone noted somewhere that they are running from an SD card, but maybe this is relevant:

Think Iā€™ll wait for a bit to see if someone figures this out. I guess update to 5.9 should be here shortly too. Downgrading back to 5.2 sounds like the best option for me now, but canā€™t be the proper solution.

I just froze up again and I have switch back to my SD. Iā€™ll run it a couple of days and see if it has any issues.

Just a wild thought as the issue seem to be related to SSD connected to USB then maybe there is some sort of conflict with other USB devices connected (Zigbee stick, Z-wave stick,ā€¦)? My system have only USB music card and seem to work fine.
I am running RPi4B with 4GB on SSD since Dec. 4 (Unitek Y-1039B USB-SSD adapter and Samsung SSD 860EVO 500GB) and yesterday made upgrade to 2020.12.1 and then OS to 5.8 from Supervisor UI. Both went fine in few minutes. Additional reboot with no problems.
And CPU temperature looks OK, peaks when reboot was executed:

Everything worked for me also for 10 to 20 hours. Then it froze. Using Startech [(USB3S2SAT3CB) and [Kingston 120GB A400 SATA] which was on the recommended list. I have the wyze hub in a usb2 slot. Since going back to SD zero issues.

I was already running HASS OS 5.5 development on SSD in a Inateck FE2002 enclosure on an RPi4 4GB. Today I upgraded to the 2020.12.7 core then I upgraded to Home Assistant OS 5.8. So far everything is fine. Iā€™m crossing my fingers that all will continue be good from here on out.

My random crashes after updating to 2012.7 and OS 5.8 got solved by downgrading to 5.2 beta OS version, which I was running previously. Will probably wait a few versions before re-trying the update.

Thanks for the reply!

What do you mean by splicing it and giving the 5V directly to the Sabrent? How does this practically work?

I also got the feeling it is just power timing, but it is annoying, and I didnā€™t see a solution in the timing.

In the main time I changed to a Mini-PC with Proxmox VM. Works also like a charm. Still I would like to use the Pi with SSD for other projects. Really interested in how you are powering the SSD.

Good that you have a solution. At the same time it would be good to find the root cause of the issue, otherwise as it is not identified it may not be fixed in next versionsā€¦ Especially that some other people do not experience any issues with latest version.

I agree and I did try to find solutions to the issue, but canā€™t at the moment have my setup not working due to Christmas coming up :slight_smile:. Iā€™m guessing the issue has to do with the SSD boot and possibly USB firmware of the Raspberry Pi (or EEPROM). Iā€™ll look more into it after the holidays.

I am still seeing freezes with the 5.9. How did you down grade to 5.2 beta? I would like to try it to see if it resolves my issues. Still no issues with SD.

This command in Home Assistant terminal/shell:
ha os update --version=5.2

Iā€™m on v5.5 for a few months, and itā€™s rock stable
Just info in case you want to have bit more recent one.

Is this 64 bit? How do I make sure? Does the cli update just install 32 if you have 32 or 64 if you have 64? I Know when I updated to 64 originally I had to create a new image.

I think 5.5 is probably OK as well. There was some changes made on 5.6 that might affect this issue. There was also an issue about problems in Github about 5.6.

No idea about 64bit. Think Iā€™m still running 32bit and have not yet investigated 64bit and how that ugprade would go (complete reinstall I guess).