HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

KingSpec is a good brand. Run my HA on a 64GB for 7 months now without any problem.
Use this board to make it complete:

V850 Msata board

1 Like

My kingston is still trucking right along. I started using influxdb (add-on of course) with it recently and that has helped speed things up. By doing my more intense graph stuff in grafana, I was able to drop my hass recorder retention from 60d/10d to 7d/1d, greatly speeding up the few lovelace graphs I do like to have (all of which rarely zoomed beyond 1d). Once in a while I’ll log in and open up grafana for more in depth fancy graphs, but chopping my stock db back to 7d has sped the ui up quite a bit (especially history/logbook). The ssd alone made history/logbook much more useable not to mention purges don’t bring the pi to it’s knees, but my changes with influxdb have made everything respond very fast. Now I don’t see any benefit to upgrading from the ‘disposable’ pi setup to like a NUC or better for my needs.

My system is in a grey plastic ‘alarm box’ with all sorts of bulky equipment (battery backup, float charger for it, LCD brick, 5V stepdown module, arduinos, etc…), and there was a nicely sized slot left over for the ssd to sorta wedge in between the brick and battery. It is sort of like the back of a pickup truck; it gets easier to secure items as the bed gets more filled up with stuff. I originally planned on designing and 3d printing a mount for it, but while dry fitting things it turned out very practical to just wedge the darn ssd in there.

For those after something more professional looking, an enclosure might be a better bet. OTOH, if you have access to a 3d printer, there are a ton of designs available for mounting a pi+2.5hdd bundle that may result in an overall cleaner/more reliable install.

I am currently running Hassio on a pi4. Did I understand correctly from this thread that if I want to use an SSD I can’t just clone the SD card and I need to install Raspian on the SD card then Hassio then restore a snapshot?

I’ve had excellent results using these 32Gb Samsung mSATA cards:

Also in case some of you may have missed the announcement, with the release of HassOS v3 on December 17 USB-boot capabilities for the RPi3 have been incorporated into the master:

No problem now clicking the system update button. I gave it a go and no problems upgrading from v3.4 to v3.7.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, on a pi4, it is impossible to run HassOS even using both sd card and move /root to ssd right?
The only way to use ssd on the pi4 is to use raspian and then install HA via docker?

My guess @sd_dracula is you are currently correct. Until the Raspberry Pi Foundation developers complete a solution for USB boot for the Rpi4 that matches the USB boot capability of the Rpi3B+ and earlier devices, it will not be practicable to run HassOS off a SSD on a Rpi4.

Are there any missing capabilities if running it like that?
I did a test install on ubuntu on my laptop and noticed I was missing the reload options (scripts/automation/groups/etc) and the verify config. Anything else?

Well, given that you can (using raspbian) install a boot sd card (so it’s basically read only) and that loads the system (raspbian again) which is on the USB ssd. It ‘should’ be possible for our guys to do the same with hassos.
They’ve only ‘just’ done the pi4 version so it may be a while before that sees the light of day.
Edit: So as it’s a race (between the Raspberry Pi Foundation fixing the pi 4 boot from usb issue and our guys ‘hassio’ booting from sd and loading system from USB) then our guys ‘may’ see it as expedient to wait until the boot issue is solved then can kill 2 birds with one stone. Dunno.

I’m not following your query @sd_dracula. Installing a hass.io image on a SSD mSATA card and plugging it into a Rpi3 USB port (assuming the Rpi3 is USB boot enabled) means hass.io will run on the Pi as it would if installed directly on a SD card. No compromise in any capability.

I ‘think’ he’s talking about a raspbian load on to ssd for a pi 4, I’m guessing though

Yes on pi4 not 3. Strange to release the pi4 it without USB boot support, seems like a no brainer to me.
Saw that they released a way to boot from network on the pi4 in beta but that’s pretty useless for this scenario.

There is a mountain of stuff to do for the developers.
They have to pick what benefits the most users in quick win scenarios.
As pi 3’s become scarcer, then pi 4’s will fill that niche.
And MOST users are happy RUNNING HA on a pi and on an SD card.
I admit though, that the next step is an SSD. AND that raspbian is being deprecated.
I have intedend to look at the network boot options, but quite frankly, I don’t see how it would help.

I wonder if ubuntu 19.10 is better than raspian on the pi4 and then put HA on top.

I’ve not seen any threads for installing hassio in Docker on Ubuntu on a pi

@kanga_who has a tutorial for that. It’s really easy to do. I run Debian + Docker+ Hass.io on my NUC.

1 Like

If that’s the case then you didn’t enable advanced mode. There is no loss of functionality at all with that kind of installation.

It’s in the same Google Drive Folder share I have all over the forums :wink: , uses Raspbian not Ubuntu though - Ubuntu on a Pi to run HA is unnecessary.

Exactly, which was why I was pointing them towards raspbian.

Edit: admittedly that ‘may’ have been unclear, given that I then followed it with the warning about deprecation.

Where have you got this information from? The latest version of Raspbian, Buster, will be supported until 2022.

HA support for installation on raspbian is being deprecated.
Did you not see the “R.I.P. Raspbian” thread ?

(sorry, I thought we were talking about installing HA ?)