Hass.io via Docker

I use VNC and it works on my Pi’s. It’s built in as well…

VNC works great but i’m not always on the same network. After a five reboots it weirdly doesn’t unlink my account anymore! so thats solved

Hello @TiagoRoxo,

thanks for this writeup! Yesterday my HC2 arrived and I plan to use the same approach (omv -> docker -> hassio).

One of the reasons to restart with hassio is the wear on the SD-cards I experienced before. They only lasted about a half a year.

I was wondering did you install OMV and hassio on your SD-card? Or did you make the SATA-disk also containing the root partition, like this example: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/building_webserver

In addition to my previous post. In OMV you can move your files to your SATA-disk by using ‘nand-sata-install’ in the terminal. See https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/19618-OMV-3-for-ODROID-XU4-HC1-HC2-MC1/ for reference.

Hi guys, i’ve follow your guide and i’ve a problem when ha start:

This is the log:

FATAL tini (6)] exec /bin/entry.sh failed: Exec format error

supervisor start correctly

Thanks

thanks for the guide, I’m new to the docker world and I managed to install everything. I have a problem, I installed hassio in a shared folder appdata / hassio I see it via smb, I can create new files and folders, but I can’t modify existing files, such as configuration.yaml. How can I solve it?

Is the supervisor responsible for bringing up the homeassistant container or not? For me it only works once, after the initial installation. But after a “systemectl restart docker” it will never bring up homeassistant again, it has to be manually started. Is this expected behaviour? I have 2 ubuntu machines behaving the same way, so I’m thinking its a design decision?

First boot after install

19-04-15 10:20:09 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.core] Hass.io is up and running
19-04-15 10:20:09 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Setup Home Assistant
19-04-15 10:20:09 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [hassio.docker.interface] Pull image homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant tag 0.91.3.
19-04-15 10:21:35 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [hassio.docker.interface] Tag image homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant with version 0.91.3 as latest
19-04-15 10:21:35 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Home Assistant docker now installed
19-04-15 10:21:35 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Start Home Assistant
19-04-15 10:21:36 INFO (SyncWorker_8) [hassio.docker.interface] Clean homeassistant application
19-04-15 10:21:38 INFO (SyncWorker_8) [hassio.docker.homeassistant] Start homeassistant homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant with version 0.91.3
19-04-15 10:22:03 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Detect a running Home Assistant instance
19-04-15 10:22:03 INFO (SyncWorker_2) [hassio.docker.interface] Cleanup images: ['homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:landingpage']

Boot after restart

19-04-15 10:23:25 INFO (MainThread) [__main__] Run Hass.io
19-04-15 10:23:25 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.misc.dns] Start DNS port forwarding for host add-ons
19-04-15 10:23:25 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.api] Start API on 172.30.32.2
19-04-15 10:23:25 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.addons] Startup initialize run 0 add-ons
19-04-15 10:23:25 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.core] Hass.io reboot detected
19-04-15 10:23:25 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.tasks] All core tasks are scheduled
19-04-15 10:23:25 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.core] Hass.io is up and running

Several minutes later

root@square:~# docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                                   COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS                   PORTS                                                                                        NAMES
9c80607c64ff        homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor   "python3 -m hassio"      13 minutes ago      Up 8 minutes                                                                                                          hassio_supervisor

Install portainer to manager your docker containers, supervisor needs to be running in order for home assistant to come up the below commands should help.

Blockquote

sudo systemctl stop hassio-supervisor.service
sudo systemctl stop hassio-apparmor.service

disable services
sudo systemctl disable hassio-supervisor.service
sudo systemctl disable hassio-apparmor.service

remove services
sudo rm -rf /etc/systemd/system/hassio-supervisor.service
sudo rm -rf /etc/systemd/system/hassio-apparmor.service

removing hassio folders (except the config folder)
sudo rm -rf /usr/sbin/hassio-supervisor
sudo rm -rf /usr/sbin/hassio-apparmor

I’m going to try this later. I’m running OMV via Debian 9 on a Mac Mini. Which device should I choose for the script to run? Looking at the options below I assume qemux86-64?

intel-nuc
odroid-c2
odroid-xu
orangepi-prime
qemuarm
qemuarm-64
qemux86
qemux86-64
raspberrypi
raspberrypi2
raspberrypi3
raspberrypi3-64
tinker

You shouldn’t need to select any device

I’ve found that I can either reboot to make hassio bring up homeassistant, OR remove the “last_boot” line from the config.json file. Make sure you fix/remove any extra commas if needed.

The /sharedfolders/AppData/HA will be located on the system disk. How would you mount that as a shared folder in OMV?

In openmediavault go to the SMB tab on the left hand side and walk through the wizard to add a folder that’s shared via SMB. Make sure to point the share to the place it’s located on the disk - in this case /sharedfolders/AppData/HA

But the config folder is on the system disk where OMV is installed. And as far as I can see, it’s not possible to share anything from the system disk. Did I do something wrong during the install? Or am I overlooking something?

Like this, only the media disk is available for a shared folder:

Why would you set it up that way?

Because of this: Hass.io via Docker

That’s exactly what I did… And as I have no experience with OMV I did not know I would not be able to access that folder through SMB. But as this was suggested twice in this thread I am wondering how to make it work.
Or should I just start over and have the config installed on the other drive? (And does it matter if the configs are on a HDD instead of an SDD?)

Hey barry,

I remembered what I ended up doing – I had to partition the boot drive to create a partition (called appdata) that I can put a shared folder on.

Here is a video from Techno Dad Life which explains the partition part from a brand new install, however I did mine after I installed everything.

Steps:

1. Install OMV-Extras
  2. “install” the G-Parted Live Kernel
  3. click “Reboot to G-Parted Live Once”
  4. plugin a monitor and keyboard/mouse on your machine to adjust the partition

Please lmk how it goes

2 Likes

Never mind, I believe I got it. :slight_smile: Just made a partition and made a shared folder. Now on to installing Hassio.

Hi,
I have some problem with my Hassio installation in Docker.
Have installed Docker on a ubuntu 18.04 machine. Also installed Portainer to manage the dockers.
Docker is working fine.
Install the Hassio with following script.

curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh" | bash -s

From Portainer I can see that the Hassio containers has been installed.

The hassio_supervisor container seems to have started, see log.

But I can’t reach the Home Assistant frontend with the ip-address:8123.

What can the problem be?

1 Like

That’s good. What about the homeassistant container? What does the log say on that one?