HASS.IO wifi hotspot

Hi,

I’ve recently started using hass.io as my main HA platform, and it’s pretty good.

However, something I’m missing, is I’d like to find a way to use the WIFI on my raspberry Pi as an AP/hotspot. I don’t use the wifi on my hass.io Pi, and I’d like to use it for this.

I’ve found a few docker projects that enable this, but I’m trying to determine if there is a need or if this kind of hardware access is feasable in the ResinOS environment.

1 Like

Bumping this request…

I’d like to also run hass.io as a network router between the wired connection (tied to my home network) and a wireless network for just WIFI based home automation equipment. Ideally, I’d be able to use the WIFI on my RPi3 as the access point.

Is there any “simple” way to do this with the hass.io configuration?

Or am I better off abandoning hass.io and rolling my own HA server with this capability?

Thanks,

-Rob A.

https://docs.resin.io/reference/resinOS/network/2.x/

Looks like its fairly easy to set up a hotspot in resinOS :slight_smile:

Hi, did you guy managed to make it works? I need to do this remotely so hope to hear success story 1st

Also looking to do this, would be nice to run wifi automation devices off the RasPi wifi.

This would be quite useful for a project in planning where the Pi will be on a battery pack and taken out of wifi range, but I still want to connect from my phone

Ok so after a lot of messing around I’ve got this working I think :slight_smile:

Step 1:
In Hass.io install DHCP Server, and configure it like so (you need to specify a domain)…

{
“default_lease”: 86400,
“max_lease”: 172800,
“domain”: “HASSIO”,
“dns”: [
“8.8.8.8”,
“8.8.4.4”
],
“networks”: [
{
“subnet”: “192.168.10.0”,
“netmask”: “255.255.255.0”,
“range_start”: “192.168.10.100”,
“range_end”: “192.168.10.200”,
“broadcast”: “192.168.10.255”,
“gateway”: “192.168.10.1”,
“interface”: “wlan0”
}
],
“hosts”: []
}

Step two:
Shutdown and rip out your SD card, get onto resin-boot and in the system-connections folder you should have resin-sample. I used this file to setup the Ethernet connection fixed ip.

[connection]
id=resin-sample
type=ethernet
interface-name=eth0
permissions=
secondaries=

[ethernet]
mac-address-blacklist=

[ipv4]
address1=192.168.0.200/24,192.168.0.1
dns=8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4;
dns-search=
method=manual

Create another file, I called it resin-hotspot with the following entries

[connection]
id=resin-hotspot
uuid=36060c57-aebd-4ccf-aba4-ef75121b5f77
type=wifi
autoconnect=true
interface-name=wlan0
permissions=
secondaries=

[wifi]
band=bg
mac-address-blacklist=
mac-address-randomization=0
mode=ap
seen-bssids=
ssid=YOUR_SSID
channel=9
hidden=false

[wifi-security]
group=
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
pairwise=
proto=
psk=YOUR_PASSPHRASE

[ipv4]
address1=192.168.10.1/24,192.168.10.1
dns=8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4;
dns-search=
method=manual

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
method=auto

You may also need to get access to the resin-state (Linux partition) and delete the file in \root-overlay\etc\NetworkManager\system-connections, if you have been messing around trying to get this working.

Restart and you should see a SSID appear from the RasPi’s wifi, and if you connect to it it will assign you and ip from the dhcp server range specified above.
From this you can reach HASS on the gateway address i.e. 192.168.10.1 in my case.

This setup does not seem to bridge the networks i.e. no routing from wifi hotspot to enternet side, but I didn’t need this yet.

Hope this helps.

Mark