Hass is running but no web gui

Hi,
I just got back from vacation and thought that updating Hass would be a good idea…
0.46 to 0.49.1
If I use journalctl I can see that Hass is running and I can see that Hass is populating my Influx db but the only response I get from http://192.168.2.28:8123/ is Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 192.168.2.28:8123.

Is there a way I can check the the Hass wes-server is up and running?

Is there a way, from the log, find out why it isn’t working?

// Tommy

When did you do the update? Just right now? After updating my HASS installation, it took 15-20 minutes (at least), before I was able to open the website.

Yesterday evening, no GUI this morning. Restered a few hours ago. Checking constantly with journalctl and it looks normal.

sudo systemctl status home-assistant@homeassistant

(check your service name matches)

Will tell you if the service is running, and if not why not.

[email protected] - Home Assistant
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/[email protected]; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Tue 2017-07-25 14:18:50 CEST; 1h 13min ago
Main PID: 18825 (hass)
CGroup: /system.slice/system-home\x2dassistant.slice/[email protected]
└─18825 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/hass -c /home/homeassistan…

So it’s running, it just won’t show the gui :frowning:

Clear the browser cache?

Still no luck :frowning:
If I start Hass as another user it starts with the default gui though so somewere there is something in my configuration preventing the gui to start.

Have you tried hass --script check_config ?
And read this https://home-assistant.io/docs/configuration/troubleshooting/

All is green…
If I check the log from Hass, I see measurement values coming in from all sensors so it is running even though it refuses to answer on the port

Do a home-assistant restart then tail -f the home-assistant.log file. You should see some indication of an issue.

Update:
First I restarted my router (ASUS RT-AC68U) then I restarted Hass again and…
Whistles!! Horns!! Fireworks!!

Suddenly it runs again…

If anyone can explain why the restarted router solved the problem, please do!

// T

I have the exact same results as the post above:

HASS is running but cannot access the web gui at http://127.0.0.1:8123

Rebooting the router did not work for me unfortunately.

Can anyone assist?

Check the home-assistant.log file for errors. HA might be running, but there are all sorts of error that could prevent the GUI from coming up. Make sure it isn’t just time. There can be large updates that happen in the background, and until they finish, the GUI won’t show up,

2 Likes

I have no errors other than the normal ones I find where some devices throw silent errors.

My log file:

2017-11-24 22:53:27 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder] Ended unfinished session (id=70 from 2017-11-24 20:43:31.123418)
2017-11-24 22:53:29 WARNING (Thread-9) [urllib3.response] Received response with both Content-Length and Transfer-Encoding set. This is expressly forbidden by RFC 7230 sec 3.3.2. Ignoring Content-Length and attempting to process response as Transfer-Encoding: chunked.
2017-11-24 22:53:29 WARNING (Thread-9) [urllib3.response] Received response with both Content-Length and Transfer-Encoding set. This is expressly forbidden by RFC 7230 sec 3.3.2. Ignoring Content-Length and attempting to process response as Transfer-Encoding: chunked.
2017-11-24 22:53:29 ERROR (Thread-9) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker.tplink] AP didn't respond with JSON. Check if credentials are correct
2017-11-24 22:53:29 ERROR (Thread-9) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker.tplink] Couldn't fetch auth tokens! Response was: {"errorcode":"login failed","success":false,"data":{"failureCount":10,"attemptsAllowed":0}}
2017-11-24 22:53:29 ERROR (Thread-9) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker.tplink] Router didn't respond with JSON. Check if credentials are correct.
2017-11-24 22:53:29 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Error setting up platform tplink
2017-11-24 22:53:31 WARNING (Thread-20) [pyhik.hikvision] Sensor type "audioexception" is unsupported.
2017-11-24 22:53:36 ERROR (Thread-21) [rxv] Invalid XML returned for request <YAMAHA_AV cmd="GET"><Zone_4><Volume><Mute>GetParam</Mute></Volume></Zone_4></YAMAHA_AV>: b''
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/rxv/rxv.py", line 139, in _request
    response = ET.XML(res.content)  # releases connection to the pool
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1345, in XML
    return parser.close()
  File "<string>", line None
xml.etree.ElementTree.ParseError: no element found: line 1, column 0
2017-11-24 22:53:36 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Error on device update!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 217, in async_add_entity
    yield from entity.async_device_update(warning=False)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 306, in async_device_update
    yield from self.hass.async_add_job(self.update)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 380, in __iter__
    yield self  # This tells Task to wait for completion.
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/tasks.py", line 304, in _wakeup
    future.result()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 293, in result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 55, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/media_player/yamaha.py", line 124, in update
    self._muted = self._receiver.mute
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/rxv/rxv.py", line 554, in mute
    response = self._request('GET', request_text)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/rxv/rxv.py", line 139, in _request
    response = ET.XML(res.content)  # releases connection to the pool
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1345, in XML
    return parser.close()
  File "<string>", line None
xml.etree.ElementTree.ParseError: no element found: line 1, column 0
2017-11-24 22:53:38 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of qwikswitch is taking over 10 seconds.
2017-11-24 22:53:38 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of media_player is taking over 10 seconds.
2017-11-24 22:53:38 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of device_tracker is taking over 10 seconds.
2017-11-24 22:53:43 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Setup of platform cast is taking over 10 seconds.

TP link router throws error but has always been doing that as per known issue where only one user is allowed to log in at a time and still used to work before
Yamaha zone 4 mute error also was there but still used to work before

what I did notice is there is no port 8123 for HASS when I ran
netstat --tcp --listening --programs --numeric

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1883            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:445             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2020            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:139             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5900            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -

Just a note, my qwikswitch is serving from port 2020 to web browser and I can access it via http://127.0.0.1:2020
from the same pi http:127.0.0.1:8123 just gives the refused to connect browser error page

Weird, now I had the exact same issue. Updated to 0.69.0, HA was running but no GUI. Tried to restart my ASUS RT-87U and then HA. After that the HA GUI was working again. Network issue?

1 Like

I had the same issue! I always had to restart the service to get the GUI back.
I decided to backup all my configs an made a new installation.
Now it works again…

What do you mean by restart the service?

Using “systemctl restart homeassistant@[username]”

Not sure what the root cause was but I too had HA not listening on 8123 and it was driving me crazy. I revereted to previous configs, i recreated my venv, i updated the base system etc. all to no avail. Then I stumbled across this thread and said what the hell, restarted my UniFi AP AC Pro(which by the way should have nothing to do with me being able to connect to HA via SSH, but not see 8123 listening) and boom! Frontend starts working…WTF.

I’m having the same issue! All of a sudden HA GUI stopped working yet HA was still running fine. No number of restarts, reconfigs, downgrades, re-upgrades, etc changed the problem. I’m not home to restart my router but I will do that tonight and report back. I was going crazy!