Hass NFC - Control Home Assistant with NFC tags

Thanks for this good app.
I requst or a suggestion if i can…
Can you add a function to create a Quick button app (a link in the Launcher) to execute a script Just link a nfc tag dow.
Some times Is very usefull to have a Quick button.
Thanks a lot

That sounds like a nice idea. So should this be separate from what you put on a NFC tag? Like an extra screen where you can manage what’s visible in the quick settings in the launcher?

I think about not Quick setting
A button like a real app but when you click on It execute a command in hass NFC and so execute releated script. Like an ifttt button on the home screen.
You can add a section in the app like this
Under writer you can add write button app
I Hope you understand me i am italian

Okay so an extra button in the menu under write where you can make a list of quick commands that you can call in your launcher? So you can add an item like ‘toggle light.bathroom’ and then that option appears in your launcher and it executes that commands when you click it?

Does this app allow reading of NFC tags (and hence triggering HASS scenarios) when the phone is locked?

Think you need to be rooted then…

Hi!

Today I have bought your app. No complains from my site, i.e., it works great! :slight_smile:

Kudos for the great work and kind regards from
Roman.

Cheers! Let me know if you can think of anything to improve the app. :slight_smile:

I bought your app yesterday. It works perfectly and is cool to be able to control stuff just by placing my phone somewhere. Nice work!
I have one suggestion for an improvement:
Add an option to send some custom information as a variable to the script when reading tags. For example, I want to create a tag that plays my favorite playlist on my audio system and if my wife scans the same tag it plays her favorite playlist. If I set up a variable (device_id) on my phone and hers, then I can make a script that plays different playlists based on the device which scanned the tag.

Thanks!

I could merge a device_id of some sort to every call to HASS, but I’m afraid that might give an error for non-script calls? Like when you say light.turn_on and add a device_id there, I’m afraid that will give a warning or error in HASS. Not sure though.

But good idea, I’ll have a look at it. As alternative I could turn the logic around and store it on the phone instead of the tag, and just use the identifier of the tag to trigger a script stored on the phone.

1 Like

The app works great. :slight_smile:

Just one minor question/problem:

I have a group comprising specific cameras, which is basically a group of switches.

camsall:
name: Cams_All
entities:
- switch.cam01
- switch.cam02
- switch.cam03
- switch.cam04

I would like to use an NFC tag to toogle the activation of this group, i.e., the cameras. However, if I chose the domain “switch” in “advanced write”, no “camalls” entry is listed. Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

I don’t think you should be looking at the switch domain. Try homeassistant domain and then turn_on and then select your group. That’s how I turn on a group of lights at home.

Ah, ok. Problem solved. I didn’t expect to find it there.

Thank you!

Yeah I had to look for a while as well.

Little update, the feature request from @mccoy88f is coming along nicely. For those of you not sure what I’m talking about: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/shortcuts. It’s when you long press on the app logo. You can add up to four quick actions that can trigger an event in HASS. It’s a little outside the scope of the app name, but I think it’s a nice feature.

1 Like

Great… I wait for that

+1 on this. I had the exact same thing in mind.

1 Like

Maybe it can be like a boolean (with toggle) when writing a tag to include a device id when calling HASS from this tag. The state of the boolean is saved in the tag itself, so only certain tags will send the id back to HASS. I think a simple warning that enabling this can brake non script calls will be enough to prevent any problems.

That would be easy to only add on the simple write page, since that only works for scripts.

So I could just use this, right? https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/script/#passing-variables-to-scripts. I would add a variable called “device_id” which your script could read. The device_id will be added to the payload if you enable that in the options.

1 Like

Yes, that sounds exactly what I need. Thanks very much :slight_smile:

Okay so I’ve got a proof of concept working. The way it will work is; you will enter a device_id in the settings screen, and if that’s filled in, it will be passed along (only for scripts) to the script, and you can then retrieve it.

Example script:

example_script:
  alias: My example script
  sequence:
  - data:
      entity_id: group.lights
    service: homeassistant.toggle
  - alias: ''
    data_template:
      level: error
    service: system_log.write

So in the data_template you will be able to use the device_id.

2 Likes