Hassio (addon: Bluetooth BCM43xx) Bluetooth Tracker messing with Yeelight bulbs - very strange!

Hardware: Raspberry Pi3 Model B
Hassio Version: 0.56.2
Addon: Bluetooth BCM43xx

Problem: Yeelight bulbs become systematically ‘unavailable’ once BT tracker is 'not_home’

I recently disabled all other device trackers and left BT only. PLease see from the pictures below which help demonstrate that the bulbs have no connection errors until i am away from home (or turn off BT on my iphone).

Does the Pi go into sleep mode or something? I have no idea what is happening and I am not very technically knowledgeable. I have even tried a different PI board with the same sd card and it is exact same issue.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Please click logbook image to see full picture

regarding my reply to your other post on this subject, have you tried simulating not being home by switching off (in separate tests) Bluetooth and WiFi on your phone to confirm that it is the Bluetooth? Like I said in the other thread, I have ‘unavailable’ issues with my Yeelights (which seems only to occur when I am away from the house for more than a few days) but I don’t have any Bluetooth device tracking setup at all, only WiFi based.

Hey dave,

Yeah thank you for your help so far. I disabled nmap scanning some days ago as it wasnt very reliable anyway. I also tried turning off wifi and it made no difference.

I am 99% sure it is BT. I have uninstalled the addon and commented out the BT device tracker on my yaml.

Here are some screenshots so far which shows no disconnections. I am going to leave it all day to confirm. Dont know what to do after that though

Does any1 have any suggestions?

I’ve got the same issue, but don’t use BT at all.

Just wondering, are all 3 of us having the issue running Hassio?

I’m using Hass.IO. I work away and it seems that the unavailable yeelights only ever happen a few days after I leave home. Out of 4 yeelights I currently have in use, 2 of them went unavailable after a few days this time around, different ones to last time too!

Its all very strange. Well I have had my bluetooth device tracking off for several days now and I have not had a single ‘unavailable’ state.

Still not any further forward with a ‘why’ or a fix though

Lioke I said, I dont have bluetooth tracking at all in my setyup. Whikle I was away last week I had 2 yeelights go unavailable. I power cycled them when I got home and they have been fine since… thats 3 days now

I’ve just had a yeelight strip light go unavailable while I’m home. I can also confirm that the stril light is also showing as ‘offline’ in the yeelight app. So I think this is purely an issue with the lights themselves

seems to be no pattern to it but i can confirm that my yeelights have been perfect since i removed BT tracking. I have not had one instance of an ‘unavailable’ state (touch wood).

I have the same problem. I’m on hass.io and don’t use Bluetooth at all.

Exact the same problem, it has started when bluetooth addon installed and bt tracking enabled.

First, I switch off tracking - problem was still here, then I disabled addon - problem solved.
Today I enabled bt addon again and its working fine (no bt tracking). Will see for how long, the other problem might be that before add was starting automatically, now I started it manually…

I have the same problem. I’m on hass.io (0.70.1 and also on 0.69.x) and when i turn on bluetooth tracking some of my Yeelight bulbs/lams turns unavailable randomly.
Somebody please investigate this issue :slight_smile:

Same issue with Hassio 0.82.1

I had Bluetooth tracker enabled and getting not only yeelight disconnections but all the wifi switches and the raspberry pi itself.

After commenting out the Bluetooth lines in the configuration, everything is working fine again.

If you are having issues with Bluetooth causing network issues and you are using the internal WiFi as your network connection the problem may be due to a Pi problem. I have not tested this on a Pi 3B yet but it is a known issue and causes me a problem on a Pi Zero W.
There is a known issue where internal WiFi and internal Bluetooth do not play well, however in my experience if Bluetooth searches for 2 non present devices it can take out all 2.4Ghz WiFi traffic for 10 seconds, and that includes between two devices that have nothing to do with Hass. I only use 2 Bluetooth devices as an example, any number of devices will cause an issue.
I have written up more details here. If you want to use BT then it is best to use the wired Ethernet connection in the Pi3 or add a WiFi dongle.

Just not using the internal WiFi device will probably sort the issue but you can disable the internal WiFi by adding the line “dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi” to “/boot/config.txt”, which you would have change on the SD card on a different computer because Hass.io does not give you. access to it.

Good Luck and let me know if you try it and if it works for you.

Hi. Thanks for this post, i have solved the problem with Yeelight bulbs messed with bluetooth tracker.
Was using Raspberry Pi 3, on wifi. Changed to Ethernet connection, and now all error messages has gone. Switching Yeelight Bulbs (all at once, or one at a time) is fast and reliable again.
To change from wifi to Ethernet, followed this post: https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/blob/fed40532c1ab55cd887adac80aec4c8c206d4076/Documentation/network.md
In my case, removed SD card from Raspberry, inserted on a Windows PC, created a folder called CONFIG, with a subfolder called network CONFIG\network
Inside the folder network, created a file named my-network with:

[connection]
id=my-network
uuid=f62bf7c2-e565-49ff-bbfc-a4cf791e6add
type=802-3-ethernet

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto