Hassio booting off ssd on a Raspberry Pi 3b+

Okay so I tried flashing the Hassos 3.5 file to my SSD and yes my Pi3 boots. But after restoring a snapshot it refuses to boot again. I tried two times with the same problem. Any suggestion as to what might be causing this?

What drive and interface cable are you using? It is my understanding there are some timing issues with some drives/cables not allowing a boot. For those cases where boot doesn’t work you can put the boot partition on the sd card and the rest on the ssd. While not a perfect option, the boot partition is read-only thus you aren’t writing to the sd which is the real problem and all other reads and writes go to the ssd.

@Tim, if it booted before the backup and now it doesn;t something is wrong with your backup. What version was your backup?

Make sure you just restore the components and config and do not do a wipe and restore. I was able to get mine working and it was as simple as everyone said.

I used this sdd and this cable

Thanks everyone for this thread.

I have the same problem as @RetroTim
Initial boot from SSD w/o problems but after power cut or reboot of host system (HassOS) it refuses to boot again.
After restore it works normally until power cut / unplugged power or reboot (Hassio=>System=>Reboot)
Tested SD card with bootcode.bin and timeout inserted, with SD card with bootcode.bin only, without SD card - still the same.
Does not matter if it is with restored backup or just clean installation without any add-on, custom component, configuration change. Does not matter if is used static IP from “CONFIG” USB or IP assigned by router.

Hassio restart (Configuration=>Server Controls=>Server management=>Restart) works as it should.

RPi-3B is powered by 3 Amps power plug, no phone charger etc.

Any idea what to do with it?

I might be wrong but as I wrote previously, this may have to do with your hardware. Here is a link to another thread doing something similar https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hass-io-transfer-from-sd-card-to-ssd-or-usb/97452

If you read down through you will see the following comment:

[edit: I just had a failed reboot today. Surprised me since it rebooted at least 10 times before without problems. I already solved the problem… copy bootcode.bin from the boot partition of the ssd on to the root of a small sd card (formatted fat32), and also add a blank file named “timeout”… put the sd in the pi and it reboots fine now. LOL, so now I can’t technically say ‘no sd card’ anymore, but of course the sd will not slow things down or die for a long time (just reads bootcode.bin once each bootup). My understanding is this has to do with my specific usb sata adapter. There is a limited list of which ones will work flawlessly with pi usb boot. They’re cheap, so I’ll end up getting one off the list. Just wanted to mention this for those about to buy one for pi usage.]

I use a Kingston 120G ssd with Sabrent usb sata adapter and have not had any issues rebooting. Perhaps try a Sabrent adapter (<$10).

1 Like

Thank you. I´ve ordered other adapter (Sabrent) :slightly_smiling_face: and next week should know if it is hardware problem in my case.

Hi,

I’d like to install Hass.io on top of Home Assistant.
The command
sudo curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh" | bash -s -- -m raspberrypi3

halts with

[Warning] No NetworkManager support on host.
bash: línea 130: /etc/hassio.json: Access denied

Can someone have a suggestion where to go from here?
TIA

Try to add sudo before bash as well

It worked, thank you much!

1 Like

@kajmaj, did you fix the reboot issues using the Kingston 120G ssd + Sabrent usb sata adapter?

Nope. Still the same issue with Sabrent usb sata adapter and Samsung EVO 840 SSD.
Have no other spare SSD available at the moment. Will try later one of documented working combinations maybe. (like Sabrent adapter + Kingston SSD.)

Damn… maybe you are right. Multiple people in various topics report that the Sabrent adapter + Kingston SSD (A400, 120GB) is the magical conbination.

I also use the Kingston SSD however my adapter cable is this one:
StarTech.com USB3S2SAT3CB SATA to USB Cable with UASP (Amazon)
been running 6 weeks now without a single issue

1 Like

Ups.
It seems that Kingston SSD (A400, 120GB) did the magic. :+1:
I’ve done a few trial system reboots w/o any problems.
Edit: Magic is partial only as powercut (raspberry power off) is still the issue until I’ve deleted bootcode.bin from SD card. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So no SD card needed anymore with the Kingston SSD (A400, 120GB) + Sabrent adapter? :ok_hand:

Empty SD card ( size of 2Gb) is still there, well at least in my case. I will test how it is without it later on.
Edited:
Tested a few times =>

1. RPi does not boot (reboot) without empty SD card inserted.
  2. After short (a few secs only) power cut it does not reboot
  3. After long (from approx 20 secs up) power cut it reboots normally
2 Likes

On the step where entering line…

# curl -sL 
 https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh
  | bash -s -- -m raspberrypi3

… I get message…

[Error] Please install jq first

Please advise on what I need to do to get past this.

Sory new to this… Installed using

sudo apt-get install jq

Doh!

Thanks for this tip - I had a power failure yesterday after 2 month running of SSD and my system would just not boot anymore.
Until that power failure, it always worked perfectly fine without any SD card and would boot straight of the SSD. For some reason it does not anymore.

I tried the bootcode.bin and timeout methods, but nothing happened. The empty SD card did the trick, it started booting of the SSD again.
Need to get some sensors on ZIGBEE back up and running now.