Hassio booting off ssd on a Raspberry Pi 3b+

Would same procedure work with Raspbian Buster Lite instead of Stretch Lite?
Any changes necessary?

Running on buster lite since a week now

Found one problem with buster, loosing wifi connection after a time. Solution to reconnect on a cronbase

Iā€™m using a Kingston SA400S37 240Gb SSD and a Startech USB3S2SAT3CB USB to SATA adapter.

Only issue I have run into is it wonā€™t recover from a reboot unless I power cycle the Pi.

I tried both Stretch and Buster and both have the same issue.

2 Likes

This was literally the easiest ā€œupgradeā€ to my config.

Same Kingston (120gb) and Startech USB Sata adapter as others.

1. Ran a full snapshot,
  2. copied the snapshot off of the SD card,
  3. etched HassOS 3.5 to SSD,
  4. plugged it into the Pi and removed the SD card.
  5. Rebooted and waited about 20 minutes,
  6. opened a http (not HTTPS!!) window to my Pi IP-address:8123,
  7. created a new user and the onboarding process.
  8. Installed Samba add-on and copied full snapshot file in to backup folder on SSD
  9. Refreshed snapshots and there was my copied file
  10. Restored from snapshot and waited about 30-40 minutes
  11. Opened a browser window with HTTPS and there was HA back in action!!

Thanks all! It really is that simple!

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for posting that! I agree with this:

My SD card hasnā€™t failedā€¦yet. But Iā€™m already thinking about what Iā€™ll do when it does. This sounds like the best solution. I may be back at some point with more questions, but it seems easy enough that I should be able to figure it out from here.

mine neitherā€¦ but i consider this mod as insurance
:+1:

Iā€™ve got 4 cameras now streaming without problems (on sdcard Iā€™d crash after about 20 min), and thinking maybe I should move the db back to the Pi to free up network traffic and resources on my NAS

edit: spoke too soonā€¦noticed some night time automations were not firing. the Pi finally crashed with the streaming enabled again :frowning: Processor use froze at 52%, Load (15m) at 12.87, and memory at 52%. It was sitting good under 10%, 1.2, and 56% respectfully for awhile.

Where did you get the HassOS 3.5 image? Do you mean the [Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 32bit] Hassio Image? (https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/releases/download/3.5/hassos_rpi4-3.5.img.gz)

Did you do this on a Pi 4. Iā€™m really looking to seed up my setup which is running on a Pi 3b+ and I donā€™t want to spend the money for a NUC yet, but I do have a spare HD lying around.

On the same link you pasted, it should be the rpi3-3.5 img file. I think the recommendation is to use the 32-bit version.

Iā€™m using a Pi3B+. No issues thus far.

Okay so I tried flashing the Hassos 3.5 file to my SSD and yes my Pi3 boots. But after restoring a snapshot it refuses to boot again. I tried two times with the same problem. Any suggestion as to what might be causing this?

What drive and interface cable are you using? It is my understanding there are some timing issues with some drives/cables not allowing a boot. For those cases where boot doesnā€™t work you can put the boot partition on the sd card and the rest on the ssd. While not a perfect option, the boot partition is read-only thus you arenā€™t writing to the sd which is the real problem and all other reads and writes go to the ssd.

@Tim, if it booted before the backup and now it doesn;t something is wrong with your backup. What version was your backup?

Make sure you just restore the components and config and do not do a wipe and restore. I was able to get mine working and it was as simple as everyone said.

I used this sdd and this cable

Thanks everyone for this thread.

I have the same problem as @RetroTim
Initial boot from SSD w/o problems but after power cut or reboot of host system (HassOS) it refuses to boot again.
After restore it works normally until power cut / unplugged power or reboot (Hassio=>System=>Reboot)
Tested SD card with bootcode.bin and timeout inserted, with SD card with bootcode.bin only, without SD card - still the same.
Does not matter if it is with restored backup or just clean installation without any add-on, custom component, configuration change. Does not matter if is used static IP from ā€œCONFIGā€ USB or IP assigned by router.

Hassio restart (Configuration=>Server Controls=>Server management=>Restart) works as it should.

RPi-3B is powered by 3 Amps power plug, no phone charger etc.

Any idea what to do with it?

I might be wrong but as I wrote previously, this may have to do with your hardware. Here is a link to another thread doing something similar https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hass-io-transfer-from-sd-card-to-ssd-or-usb/97452

If you read down through you will see the following comment:

[edit: I just had a failed reboot today. Surprised me since it rebooted at least 10 times before without problems. I already solved the problemā€¦ copy bootcode.bin from the boot partition of the ssd on to the root of a small sd card (formatted fat32), and also add a blank file named ā€œtimeoutā€ā€¦ put the sd in the pi and it reboots fine now. LOL, so now I canā€™t technically say ā€˜no sd cardā€™ anymore, but of course the sd will not slow things down or die for a long time (just reads bootcode.bin once each bootup). My understanding is this has to do with my specific usb sata adapter. There is a limited list of which ones will work flawlessly with pi usb boot. Theyā€™re cheap, so Iā€™ll end up getting one off the list. Just wanted to mention this for those about to buy one for pi usage.]

I use a Kingston 120G ssd with Sabrent usb sata adapter and have not had any issues rebooting. Perhaps try a Sabrent adapter (<$10).

1 Like

Thank you. IĀ“ve ordered other adapter (Sabrent) :slightly_smiling_face: and next week should know if it is hardware problem in my case.

Hi,

Iā€™d like to install Hass.io on top of Home Assistant.
The command
sudo curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh" | bash -s -- -m raspberrypi3

halts with

[Warning] No NetworkManager support on host.
bash: lĆ­nea 130: /etc/hassio.json: Access denied

Can someone have a suggestion where to go from here?
TIA

Try to add sudo before bash as well

It worked, thank you much!

1 Like

@kajmaj, did you fix the reboot issues using the Kingston 120G ssd + Sabrent usb sata adapter?