Hassio instalaltion Wifi configuration

I have check the file the lines are ends with 0A hexa so its good.

is there any possibility to set the wifi ? I only can use with the wifi. Form the LAN is working. But I need to use the wifi.

Can you advice ?
Is for anybody is working this new Etcher flasher from windows?

The instructions have changed. The details at https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/ now appear to go in “network/hassos-wifi”, instead of “network/my-network”. I’m still trying to get my wifi setup working so I’m not sure if that’s the only change.

Thx for the info. I will try if it works for me. I want to use static IP trough WIFI.

Does the file name matter…? I thought you could call it anything as long as it had no extension. I have the same issue…my wifi nor the eth is working…I have two files…one for the wifi setup and one for the eth.

can you check this
I think the file name does not matter

1 Like

Well done au190 the setup method has changed since I done my setup , it didnt require a usb stick.
So I do apologize.

In my defense the instructions werent very clear about the usb stick, it seems to have been updated now.
Im glad you managed to get it going , theres nothing more frustrating than a decent piece of tech that you cant get to work.
I hope you enjoy it.

what was very important on my raspi beside this whole network/my-network file on the usb stick.
The name of the usb-stick must be CONFIG … tooked me hours to figure that out (even if it is mentioned somewhere on 3rd link of the install page :frowning:)

i created a usb stick and named it CONFIG, then put the file folder and the file in it, but still get link is not ready, i don’t know what to do

Hard to know without seeing your file and exact naming.

Does line endings really matter? I watched Juan’s YouTube video (here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnCRcGTznXs&t=1m40s) and he used Window Notepad with nothing else. I’ve tried everything (I think) except what actually works, which is elusive.

What doesn’t get stated is that the USB drive MUST BE formatted using (MS-DOS) FAT32 or it will not be read by Hassio. I had been trying with a USB drive formatted in EXT32 and it would not work.

Check it and see if it works for you.

Hello,

I got the same issue, google search bring me here, the config file is definitely nothing wrong with it.
Hooked my Pi to TV, and see bunch of logs, e.g:

wlan0: link is not ready

Not sure I have to set my Wifi routers to use 2.4GHz or 5Ghz, changing from WPA2 PSK to less secure WPA, but non of them works.

Any recommendation about the wifi network setting in router?
Thank you!

Having the same problem. I was:

1. format usb with Fat32 and set label to CONFIG
  2. create a folder called “network”
  3. create a file named “hassos-wifi”

I have a question:
When can I plug the USB in to PI? at boot time or after boot-up completed?

the file name is my-network

plug before you boot the pi

You can now create a folder “CONFIG” on the boot partition instead of using a USB stick. Then, create the
folder “network”, and place the “my-network” file inside of that. It did take me a while to find the boot partition as for some reason I could only see 4 out of the 8 partitions in the file manager after using Etcher, so I manually mounted it after finding it with fdisk (it was /dev/mmcblk0p1).

/CONFIG/network/my-network

Alternatively, if you use Hassbian, create a file on the boot partition:

wpa_supplicant.conf

with the following formatting (change the country as well):

country=SE
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
    ssid="YOUR_SSID"
    psk="YOUR_PASSWORD"
}

The documentation has been amended to add the CONFIG directory method (which you can use for much more than just setting up WiFi)
https://github.com/cschroeter/hassos/blob/dev/Documentation/configuration.md

4 Likes

Maaaan, thank you so much! Spend endless time trying to figure out the installation via official documentation… pointless.
Your guide finally solved it! I’m super happy that it has finally worked! And indeed i needed to follow your instructions step by step, since i also used etcher under ubuntu and it didn’t auto-mount boot partition, which yielded me to do it manually.
Legend!

Thanks

1 Like

So I tried 10-12 times installing HASSIO but no luck. The wifi is not working for me.

So before I keep trying different things I have two questions.

1. Do I have to write the file to SD card every time using Etcher after it fails to connect to Wifi?

2. Does the red power led stays ON all the time on rPi3B+

TIA

I just did what @wutr suggested (Thanks!!), and now, after a long time of wired connection, I am on a wireless one without the USB stick.

@chils41 probably it’s better to start with a wired connection, check if all is working, then you can take out the SD card from RPi, put in a PC and do what @wutr said before.

The red led in RPi stays always on!

Hi there, thanks @wutr for the great advice.
I got soooo close! I’ve installed a dual boot of Linux on my pc so I can see what’s on the SD card but it is read only! I can see the system connections folder but can’t do a thing with it.
Please help if you can, I’m trying everything to get this Pi Zero running on WiFi (works on LAN, hass.io installed)
Thanks