HASSIO mount external drive

Nope, but the feature seems to have been fully implemented : see https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/issues/164 .

I need more detail about this method.
I was not successfull to mount usb

this is my USB
sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: LABEL_FATBOOT=“GOFLEX” LABEL=“GOFLEX” UUID=“3A22-CCE8” TYPE=“vfat” PARTUUID=“2ea74125-01”

this is my etc/fstab

PARTUUID=2ea74125-01 /usr/share/hassio/share/usbtest vfat async,big_writes,noatime,nodiratime,nofail,uid=pi,gid=pi,umask=000 0 0

and this is error

mount: /usr/share/hassio/share/usbtest: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I aslo tried UUID=3A22-CCE8

It seems a problem related to the file system. Try to manually mount the device before adding it to fstab to know what is the correct fs type.

It would be great to have a simple, hack free way to mount external storage or NAS storage to Home Assistant.
We have Plex addon and MotionEye addon in the Supervisor addon store and both of these benefit greatly from being able to access storage devices.
It seems that if we have addons like these, we need a way to access storage to utilise these addons

6 Likes

I have to say I’m finding the whole Home Assistant architecture a little baffling. Setting aside the infinite confusion surrounding all of the various installation methods and renaming, let’s say I’ve finally given up on installing HA on a regular OS instance (say, a Debian VM I have running under Proxmox) and I’ve bitten the bullet and installed “Hass OS” via an official, pre-baked disk image. So now I have a bespoke, curated “operating system” for hosting a home automation application, but it’s less capable out of the box than if I could simply “apt install home-assistant” and then do all of the normal things I’d expect, like “mount another filesystem”?

Admittedly I’m probably not the majority use case; I want to be able to spin up a HA instance on a hypervisor and have it all provisioned automatically with Ansible, configuration data stored on an NFS mount so it can be backed up regularly, and be able to burn the whole thing down automatically without losing data and clicking a million times in a web UI. I get that some of that is outside the norm, but “regular automated backups” and “mount a remote filesystem” are not wild concepts.

I guess ultimately I don’t see the logic in building an entire opinionated operating system around the assumption that everybody wants to run it on an isolated Raspberry Pi booting off a USB stick at the expense of being able to do all of the things that operating systems already do well. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

3 Likes

Lyle,
What you say makes sense to me. I can see by your writing that you have a lot more knowledge in IT than my basic scratch.
I very quickly moved my hassio from a raspberry pi to nuc. So many bad stories about sd cards etc.
Like you as well having a system that has an automated backup to a nas (i run freenas) should be basic.
Also being able to extend my nuc with an external hard drive i thought should be easy - as yet i haven’t been able to do that.
When i first thought about going into home automation i looked at a number of options. I chose hone assistant. I am very happy with my choice as it is a great system and definitely at the moment meets my needs. It is also a great community who by and large provide relevant answers with grace.
I have gone to cabunasa subscription to provide support and hopefully this allows the developers to make the system even better.
I’ll stick around for a while anyway.

It would be great to extend the RPI4 HASSIO with NAS features by using an additional drive on the USB3 Port. the RPI4 has plenty of cpu power an memory form my home usage to be able to run HA + NAS. A NAS addon such as FreeNAS https://www.freenas.org/ or Nextcloud https://hub.docker.com/_/nextcloud/ would be very nice. IT would make me happy to get rid of my old QNAP NAS considering security and energy usage.

1 Like

And now?! :slightly_smiling_face:

I mean the discussion/wish is ongoing for two years now!
I moved my system from a Ubuntu nuc to the finnished nuc image because I was afraid of the news earlier this year that this kind of installation is going to be discontinued

Now I’m suffering by being not able to mount a external drive

What is necessary to reorder this feature in the ranking?! More contributors?!
I would love to mount external drives to my hassio :star_struck:

1 Like

I too would love this feature. It would then make a seamless home assistant / PVR box.

1 Like

Of course :slight_smile: !

With motionEye for example youre lost if you’re not able to store anything to a storage nearby
And it’s already part of the community addons so it should be only a small step to achieve a perfect pvr solution <3

So… VOTE VOTE VOTE pls

There is not really any confusion around installation. Like all open source software, there are numerous unofficial ways of installing, but the official ways are very clearly described on the main install page, with very clear instructions. Probably the clearest open source install instructions I have ever seen.
The recent renaming was initially confusing, but given it’s all one piece of software really, it makes sense to get rid of hass.io and just make it all Home Assistant, with Core being the basic Software without extras.
That’s all outside the this particular threads scope though.
:slight_smile:

Check this out.

You might want to tweak it, since the linked udev rule mounts the drives under media not under share

2 Likes

This is an old thread but the issue is still here. I’m just getting started with HA and am trying to repurpose some old business and server hardware. But I ran smack into being unable to use internal drives as a datadisk. I’ve been cruising around forums and YouTube and I think this is the current state of affairs:

1. The main platform for HA is single board computers - Raspberry Pi, ODROIDs, Intel Nuc, etc.
  2. The enterprise supporting HA development also sells SBC solutions (Home Assistant Blue, Home Assistant Yellow, ?)
  3. SBCs main connection to peripherals is USB. USB 3.0 is almost as fast as SATA III, USB 3.1 is faster. So it is a good option.
  4. Keeping HA with fewer storage connection options reduces user support problems and developer distractions.
  5. HA has the ability to keep data on an external USB drive - which meets most users need for more storage space and fewer writes to the boot drive.

So there really isn’t any business case for offering any external storage interface other than USB.
Consequently I don’t think we’ll see the status quo change. I’m still deciding if that will work for me.
Has anyone figured out a way around this for SATA, PCIe, etc, internal disks, such as additions to configuration files, etc?

It’s a widely requested feature. This and roles should be a high priority, if one considers any form of priority scoring, I would have to believe.

Here the start of a business case via R.I.C.E. scoring.
Reach: Everyone
Impact: 2 - High Impact
Confidence: ?
Effort: ?

Queue the “why don’t you build it, they accept PRs”, responses. :upside_down_face:

Rice classifications don’t work in open source projects, someone still need to want to build it :man_shrugging:

Fixed That

Just adding another voice to the chorus of the need for a non-hack way to mount external drives (usb and network ideally).

My use case is similar to others

1. I am running frigate as an add-on and would like video files stored on a big extra spinny drive instead of the nvme where I run HAOS from

2. I want to run the plex add-on to centralize everything but all my media is stored on my nas

2 Likes

+1

I’m using HA OS, the system runs on an m.2 ssd, and its fine for system and database.
I use frigate and I realy like it. I would like to get rid of my NVR, but since I can’t add external drives to HA OS I can’t use it as an NVR.
I’m not a skillful linux user and supervised looks a bit hard for me.

Home Assistant 2023.6.3 adds the ability to use a shared drive, such as an NAS, for storage. I moved my media this way and now my nightly backups are in a 500MB range as opposed to 30GB (Thank you Frigate).

What is really missing is the ability to use a second internal SSD. I am running HAOS on the M.2 SSD in an Intel NUC. My NUC also has a slot for a 2.5 inch drive.

2 Likes