Hassio on PI4 with official SSD released bios support

Hi all

I really like the all in one PI 4 image of home assistant, but i HATE SD as they failed me already two times so reinstalled HA from scratch already two times and makes me feel scared about home assistant.
Is there any news about hassio image boot support for SSD as the stable BIOs is released or do I have to look for other alternitives because I had it with SD failures, don’t got a good feeling with HA for controlling my house with the current setup with SD :frowning:

12 Likes

Gets my vote too - I’d love to move into my Pi 4 with SSD :smiley:

1 Like

A standard 32GB SanDisk has lasted me over 2 years, but I’m afraid it might die anytime soon just because of how infamous they’re in the forum. A cheapo no brand one that I had used for years died one year after I installed Hassio on it, but to be honest I had been using for longer than 3-4 years before I repurposed it.

Last I heard the USB boot facility (for the Pi 4) was still in Beta, where did you see it as a stable release ?
Can you post a link ?

As the removal of Supervisor support for generic installations has been delayed, I installed raspOS lite on my P4 with a nvme ssd. Then followed the instructions available from kanga_who to install supervised HA. Working beautifully.

I got fed up with SD cards long ago and moved to docker and persistent storage (NAS). A well worth investment but for future projects SSD support would be a great improvement!

Here it is: https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-eeprom/blob/2a8c2e77c34d16554956e5ca56697eba9611d2ad/firmware/release-notes.md

2 Likes

Calvin, many thanks for this.
As stated it is the ‘Stable’ release but is still a ‘Pre-Production’ release (ie does not have the ‘easy installation’ method that should soon be released, though having had to install the new cooling firmware manually in a quite agricultural manner, so maybe this is as good as it gets).
Thanks Again

I use scandisk also and every year I make the habit of imaging the sd to a new sd the cost being £10 and about 30 mins worth of inconvenience. However agree when a production stable release of the bios update is available for my PI4 I may move over to SSD, more so for speed but also some added reliability. Bear in mind any storage can fail at any time- i’ve spent close to 2 years with developing my hassio build and would be devastated loosing it, I keep weekly backups on my NAS, my pc hard disk and cloud storage just to make sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

same here making HA snapshots to cloud but still no good feeling about SD (due to bad experiances)
So thereofre hope that when bios is official there will be a hassio image with USB support

1 Like

Can you share the install? is that docker based?
Like to find supervicor for docker installation

Hi yes, it’s Docker based. The instructions to get the RPi 4B to boot is here:

It’s been updated to reflect the stable version of the eeprom that supports USB Boot released the other day. The instructions for the HA Supervised install are here:

Good luck, although you shouldn’t need it. I’m using the Geekworm X857 NVMe tray and an ASENNA msata 120GB SSD, both from amazon. Incidentally, the Bruphny aluminium case with fan, also from there, fits perfectly with the 4B and SSD tray combination and gives a decent temperature reduction.

3 Likes

Thanks john your installation works really nice but when I boot with SSD the Zigbee conbee 2 stick shows in deconz firmware NOT connected, tried many things but can’t get it working, with SD all ok but SSD conbee / deconz troubles :frowning:

Hi Peter, I don’t know anything about Zigbee. I’m just wondering if the USB ports are connected to RaspOS rather than the Docker container. Here’s an article that deals with connecting a USB port to a docker container.

1 Like

My knowledge does not go far enough at this time to check if the deconz container hads access to the USB and that specified stick shows as /dev/serial thing :roll_eyes:
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2213773-if00

And did not find a syntax to allow the deconz container to access that or see if it is blocked or not connected for passtrough
Tomorrow some further testing …

Hi Peter, I have the same issue with Conbee. For me the problem seems to manifest when I use the USB 3.0 ports for both the conbee and the usb drive. If I switch to the USB 2.0 ports for both things and leave the usb 3.0 ports clear it works well. I’m guessing it’s a power issue, maybe the Pi is not getting enough juice… I haven’t investigated further.

Looking forward to hear what you might find about this. :slight_smile:

Hi Iuri,

I created a bug topix at github, lets see what they are telling, and I prefer not to use usb 2 for my SSD, thayt would harm performance quit a bit and don’t know if the USB PI firmware boot is working on USB 2

P.s. did used my 65W power warp charger of my one plus phone, same result

1 Like

Fix deCONZ and Conbee stick not working when using with an SSD on a Raspberry Pi

2 Likes

@john5 ask me a question I doing this procedure I install the image of the hassio in the ssd that he will boot the HA perlo SSD?

Hi Glaucer,

yes - this procedure is to install on a RPi 4B. If you are installing on a 3B or 3B+, it is much simpler, as they can both boot straight from an SSD without firmware updates. However, the USB 2.0 on the 3B/3B+ limits the transfer speed of the SSD .