Hassio on PI4 with official SSD released bios support

Just reporting that cheap Fuj:tech T23M USB 3.1 SSD case is working well also. Unless it should boot from the USB3 port also. Booting only from Raspi’s usb 2 port.

Yep, I was using the 4.x image - grabbing the 5.x image now and will give it a shot.

Thanks for the lead.

Hi, after moving to SSD, does the RPi4 still able to boot from sd card? I want to make sure i have a way to go back to my sd card in case there is any problem in the mid of moving to SSD. My RPi4 is currently running with SD card.

Yes, you can still boot from the SD card. Simply disconnect your USB drive and reboot as normal. The default boot order is to boot off USB in the event of SD card failure - so once you move to SSD, you pull out the SD card.

Make sure you are using the 5.x image from dev or you’ll end up with a blank screen trying to reboot. As @danrspencer called out, you need to make sure to use that image or you’ll have issues.

Roger that. Thanks!

I have that case also. Just add the quirks and it should work on USB3 also!
Check this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245931

1 Like

Hi everyone.

Currently, I’m running Hassio on a VM, on unraid.
But I’m thinking about moving all my automation things to a RPi 4 with SSD, using one of those x825 boards.

Currently I have all the support services like mqtt, zigbee2mqtt, mysql, etc running as dockers on my unraid.

My idea is to have a “all-in-one automation gateway”.
With all the services as add-ons.
So if I need to power off my unraid or moved to a different house, all my automation systems still works.

What do you guys think?

Does HomeAssistant run smoothly on RPi4 with SSD?
Can boot from SSD using the x825?

Thank you

I used for 3/4 years a Sandisk Extreme SD with Domoticz, which still working with Hass.io and i clone that sd periodicallyon another Sandisk SD Endurance (for video, white color).

I use Rpi4 4Gb and x825 board. It works without problem and supports UAS

Thank you.
And boots directly from SSD?

Yes without SD. Rpi4 4Gb HassOS 5.2 64bit
Add to config.txt
dtparam=sd_poll_once=on
This line makes disable the time-out messages for the SD card

2 Likes

Thanks again :wink:

As i read, you are talking about HassOS 5.2 64bit from ssd/usb
Any one do it with Home Assistant CORE? running with raspberry OS…?

thanks
great topic… great contibutions

1 Like

Thanks for the hint.
I added the following lines into /mnt/boot/config.txt:

# disable wlan0 as I use cable only
dtoverlay=disable-wifi
# poll sd cards only once during boot (without ‘=on’)
dtparam=sd_poll_once

Now I haven’t seen any “mmc0: sdhci:” messages anymore.

1 Like

Hello,

I’m using a Raspberry PI4 with 8gb with the image HassOS 5.2 image 64 bits installed on a NVME SSD. I have exactly the same problem than MediaStorm
“I have HassOS running from an SD card with no issues - if I try to boot via SSD with that same image, I get a quick screen with some info and then the screen immediately goes black and the system is hung up.”

I have added sd_poll_once=on to dtparam in config.txt but with no effect.
I have tried booting either from USB3 or USB2 with no effect.

I have an image from USB3 Raspberry OS 64 bits and it works with no problem so my SSD is actually not the problem.

Do you have any idea how to solve this ?
Regards.

Try this one
SLC-lite
Or more expensive
SLC sd card (industrial grade)
I have no experience as i installed it but i think it will hold much longer than any consumer cards will

@Ukro the problem concerns booting on a SSD connected to a USB port on Home Assistant 5.2, not a SD Card which works perfectly.

Am I right, that you downloaded the image “hassos_rpi4-64-5.2.img.gz” from the Home Assistant web site? Did you also write the image to the SSD using balenaEtcher (1.5.109)?

Mine is called hassos_rpi4-5.2.img.gz maybe this is the wrong one, i download the one with exact same name than yours and will try again … i’ll let you know !

Ok thanks Adrian for the help. Boot succeeded but only with a USB 2 port and not a USB 3. Any idea how to fix this ?