Hassio on PI4 with official SSD released bios support

If i use usb2 i’m not able to get signal to monitor :-/
So no idea if it’s booting or not. Probably not
Ok, my bad. The hdmi cable was badly inserted. Now it works (from the USB2 port). Is it how it should be?

It might be due to early development. Might need seting up quirks.
Read this article: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245931

Thanks, I’ll check that link!
I also tested with the raspberry OS and boot from USB3 was trashy and from USB2 it worked really nice.
I read that also bad power source could have something to do with boot problems from USB3? I have an old Huawei charger which should output 3A though…

You are a god! I followed these steps and got it working on Hass OS 5.2

Here is my equipment:

• SSD Enclosure:
    Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5" or 3.5"’ HDD, SSD [Support UASP] (EC-UBLB)
  • SSD:
    Samsung 128GB EVO Series
  • Raspberry Pi 4 with official power supply

My snapshot from my Raspberry Pi 3 MicroSD was loaded onto the setup and it worked 100% out of the box.

Here are some things I had:

• Z wave network of light switches, Schlage connect lock
  • Blue Iris Cameras with motion detection cards
  • I have red node but haven’t used it yet… it carried forward into this build
  • Nabu Casa integration

The only issue I am trying to solve is the constant SSH dmesg notification that the microSD cannot be found (“mmc0: sdhci: Timeout waiting for hardware cmd interrupt”).

Glad it’s helps.
Check if any configuration from add-ins point to SD card.

The dmesg SD card error on the Pi terminal was occurring after I installed Hass OS 5.2, before I did my restore from snapshot. Unless you know of native configurations pointing to the SD card?

Nope. Anything on Log to troubleshoot?
Try https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hass-io-transfer-from-sd-card-to-ssd-or-usb/97452/359

It’s just a flood of the same message. I think unless microsd is disabled, you’ll continue to see it.

exactly the same issue here

Just checked the link you posted and it sounds like the solution is the following… I haven’t tried it yet but will report back when I do

config.txt

1: dtparam=sd_poll_once=on

This line makes disable the time-out messages for the SD card

I have multiple SSD to SATA adapters and have updated one of the Pi4 devices with the latest eeprom from 9/3. I can successfully boot from SSD using the latest version of Raspbian, but cannot get any of those combinations to work trying to boot from HassOS 64-bit.

I have HassOS running from an SD card with no issues - if I try to boot via SSD with that same image, I get a quick screen with some info and then the screen immediately goes black and the system is hung up.

Any ideas how to solve this? Also, what is the best way to clone the entire working SD card contents over to the SSD? If I try with the SD Cloner, it always comes back about having a non-dos partition on the card and won’t let you get any further.

I have imaged one of the SSD drives with Balena and Raspberry Image - both using the latest Hass 64-bit image.

Just can’t get them to ever successfully boot - Raspian - all good.

Are you sure you’re using the HassOS 5.* image? Your problem sounds like the one I had when I was using the 4.* image.

You can grab the development builds here:

2 Likes

Just reporting that cheap Fuj:tech T23M USB 3.1 SSD case is working well also. Unless it should boot from the USB3 port also. Booting only from Raspi’s usb 2 port.

Yep, I was using the 4.x image - grabbing the 5.x image now and will give it a shot.

Thanks for the lead.

Hi, after moving to SSD, does the RPi4 still able to boot from sd card? I want to make sure i have a way to go back to my sd card in case there is any problem in the mid of moving to SSD. My RPi4 is currently running with SD card.

Yes, you can still boot from the SD card. Simply disconnect your USB drive and reboot as normal. The default boot order is to boot off USB in the event of SD card failure - so once you move to SSD, you pull out the SD card.

Make sure you are using the 5.x image from dev or you’ll end up with a blank screen trying to reboot. As @danrspencer called out, you need to make sure to use that image or you’ll have issues.

Roger that. Thanks!

I have that case also. Just add the quirks and it should work on USB3 also!
Check this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245931

1 Like

Hi everyone.

Currently, I’m running Hassio on a VM, on unraid.
But I’m thinking about moving all my automation things to a RPi 4 with SSD, using one of those x825 boards.

Currently I have all the support services like mqtt, zigbee2mqtt, mysql, etc running as dockers on my unraid.

My idea is to have a “all-in-one automation gateway”.
With all the services as add-ons.
So if I need to power off my unraid or moved to a different house, all my automation systems still works.

What do you guys think?

Does HomeAssistant run smoothly on RPi4 with SSD?
Can boot from SSD using the x825?

Thank you

I used for 3/4 years a Sandisk Extreme SD with Domoticz, which still working with Hass.io and i clone that sd periodicallyon another Sandisk SD Endurance (for video, white color).