Hassio on PI4 with official SSD released bios support

and an other question: I 'm running 5.2 now of the operating system. But I get an update notification for 4.13… Should I join the beta channel or will I get in trouble for doing that. I can thinker but the system needs to stay working (or the wife kills me :slight_smile: )

Anybody who are having problem booting from USB have to make sure that the enclosure are compatible with linux or having the driver available. Else no matter what you do you wont be able to make it run. James Chambers wrote an article about it. So just be sure the USB is readable.

Due to the fact, that the Pi4 is still new, updates are released very often. On my Pi4 the EEPROM bootloader version is “Thu 03 Sep 2020 12:11:43 PM UTC (1599135103)”.
In case of problems ensure you have the latest bootloader version installed.

Hello,

I have finally succedeed booting on USB 3 with Raspberry Pi 4 8G + NVME 970 PRO Samsung 500gb + Icy Box. I have added an extension cable of 15 cm to connect the SSD to the USB 3 port. I don’t know if it has to do with interference or the fact that i have the AEOTEC GEN 5+ key directly connected on the port close to it but it works perfectly.

Regards.

1 Like

Cool! Thank you for the feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can we upgrade to the new Home Assistant 0.116? Or will be downgraded to Operating System 4.3 also? Should I be subscribed to the DEV channal?

My subscription is on ‘stable’. After taking a snapshot, I successfully updated to Home Assistant 0.116. As this is a core update, the OS remains 5.2

I still get the update (downgrade) request of the OS. But obviously I will not execute it.
Screenshot 2020-10-08 080454

1 Like

Many thanks for your (risky) test :slight_smile: !!

That’s normal. You are not on dev channel (dev false on your screenshot) so it gives you the opportunity to update the the last stable release (and not the last dev release which is 5.2)

Thanks for clarification. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi James

I did a full OS wipe. Is there any reason I should have went with no OS wipe? I wasn’t sure which option to choose. My HA seems to be up and running, AT least for the last 10 mins.

Thanks

Hi Ron,

I just re-read my message - I think I follow what you are saying here. I installed 5.1 (5.2 in your case). When I did the restore from the 4.x backup into 5.x, I did not select OS wipe. I did actually wipe the OS when I ran up 5.x but not on the restore component. Hope this clarifies it

seems v5.3 is out now

ha os update --version 5.3

3 Likes

Thank you. Update also worked on my side :slight_smile:

thanks for the tip.

Hi Vlad,

i am new user, was trying to follow your instruction. raspberry pi4 is installed with the latest rom, and have tried booting from from ssd and it work for raspberry os. however when i tried to boot hassOS from ssd, after boot screen, all i get is a black screen. also step 10 (i checked my router, but did not locate the PI4 IP ADD). i am stuck at step 10, and i am unable to proceed, where have i gone wrong?

I updated my firmware and used the container approach with modified supervisor support and restored my snapshot and it works like a charm running it on Rasbian and a 1TB Samsung external SSD that I had lying around. I saw later that 5.x is bootable and was going to switch over to the 5.x bootable install but with 1TB, I started thinking of all the extra stuff I could do with it like a Cloud server, etc and also, being the geek that I am I like having more control over the operating system. So I stick with the container approach.

1. What USB 2 or 3 you using to connect SSD drive? You have use USB 2.
  2. What cable USB ==> SSD? Maybe not good.
  3. Network hard wired or WiFi?
  4. Did you download and burn 64 bit image?

I have thesame issue. I followed this guide:

And boots just fine into Raspberry Pi OS from the SSD after I remove my sd-card.

However all the HassOS installs just return a blank screen. No activity on my ssd controller either.

I cannot use the 64bit image, as I cannot use the GPIO pins then.

Is there anyone that can figure this one out?

edit: I have eeprom from 3 september, have got an usb to sata adapter and a kingston 120gb ssd from the compatibility list a while ago, so those things should not be an issue.

If a copy of my Rasperry Pi OS is working totally fine when booting from my SSD, I’m starting to think it’s a problem with the HassOS image I am using. Question remains, what?