Hassio on PI4 with official SSD released bios support

Followed the steps described by Vlad, however my Pi kept booting from SD, bootmode was still on SD.

I did the following:

sudo -E rpi-eeprom-config --edit

change BOOT_ORDER to 0x4

and reboot.

Now the Pi is set to boot from USB

Then you didn’t follow his steps because he said to power off the Pi and remove the SD card, so how can you still boot from SD. :smiley:

I did follow his steps but my Pi kept displaying Bootmode: SD instead of USB. Thats why I edited my eeprom config manually. What I meant was, my Pi kept trying to boot from SD, the SD card was out.

Did you run a command : “sudo nano /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update” and changed the “critical” value for the FIRMWARE_RELEASE_STATUS option to “stable

Ok so I used the 64 bit version, and now SSD booting works fine.

However when installation is done with 64 bit I cannot use GPIO pins correct? That sucks because I just bought a Raspbee deconz stick…

Will the 32bit HASSOS image ever support SSD boot?

Yes I did, but it works fine now :slight_smile:

Hi Vlad,

1. USB 2
  2. i use simplecom USB3 SDD connector
  3. network hardwired
  4. i tried both 32 bit and 64bit and burn the image via etcher.

below is the photo of my boot screen.

Some raspberry pi have problems with delivering amount of requested power to the usb3
For me helped to use an powered up usb hub

Awesome, thanks!

I got this to work only after using raspi-config to enable USB boot. By the time I arrived at this post, dev 5.3 was available, but I found that on my system, it is not stable enough to use. It fails to boot one out of two or three attempts, and I see periodic communication errors on the USB (nigotiator posted similar if not identical errors).

My configuration:

Raspberry Pi 4 8GB Starter Kit - 32GB Storage SKU: PI4-8GB-STR32F-C4-BLK
HYNIX HFS256G39MND-3310A 256GB M.2 2280 SATA 3 6.0 GB/S SSD Solid State Drive (on USB3)
Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Linux 5.4.51-v7l+ #1333 SMP Mon Aug 10 16:51:40 BST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux
Home Assistant 0.116.4

I’ve decided to go with the latest released 32 bit pi OS with home assistant supervised for now. This configuration boots reliably to my SSD and performs superbly. I’ll wait for the 64 bit OS and production hassio configuration for booting to external storage. I’m assuming that once all of that is available that a configuration backup and restore should make for a reasonably seamless upgrade. True?

Jay,

Glad it helped. Yes it will be very easy.

Hi, I’m another USB boot freak but really want to run on fully released version at all times (a secure boring guy…). Is there any time estimate when the 5.X version is the one to use under such circumstances?
Thanks

1 Like

OMG! Thanks! Was tearing my hair out. My SSK JMS586 128gb SSD boots in USB3 port with 5.5 just fine… But had issues with Conbee2 not working… Sometimes it just hangs at the UI interface loading screen. Tried deConz but to no avail.

Plugged the Conbee into a usb hub and now it works! (unlike the video, mine always shows the firmware is connected.)

Great to hear that it helped!

I’m currently experiencing the same issue as BVE.

HA 5.3 will boot fine if the SSD is plugged into a USB 2.0 port, or even if plugged in to a USB 3.0 port via a USB 2.0 extension cable. But straight to the USB 3.0 port, or via a USB 3.0 extension cable and no boot.

Setup is a RPi 4B Rev 1.2 (eeprom updated) with the following;

ELUTENG USB to SSD Adapter

Kingston 120GB A400 SSD

It sounds like your enclosure is not supported and will need quirks to work. I use a proper SSD enclosure and that works fine after being updated using the manufacturers update. See here

Thanks. But both the adapter and SSD are confirmed compatible based on this list.
https://storage.jamesachambers.com/popular/

Additionally the adapter is confirmed working on this guide. Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b 8GB with SSD boot

Same for me, have you read the post #58 ? :

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hassio-on-pi4-with-official-ssd-released-bios-support/205935/58?u=olivier974

work great for me, i have a JMicron adapter, look like yours and boot great on USB3! :wink:

OK, It seems I had a ‘dodgy’ Eluteng adapter.

According to Andrew G’s post here the incompatible ones can be identified by the Eluteng logo being on a sticker on the underside.

My Kingspec SSD arrived today, which works perfectly. booting from SSD on USB 3.0.

Just wanted to report that I had success with the following setup:

1. Followed the directions here to install Raspberry Pi OS first (I used 2020-08-20-raspios-buster-armhf-lite.zip) and configure USB boot
  2. Used belenaEtcher to flash the SSD with the latest 5.x build (hassos_rpi4-64-5.5.img.gz at the time of writing)
  3. Booted off the SSD no problem! Configured a bunch of integrations and so far so good.

I performed a “ha os update --version 5.5” to upgrade from 5.4 and when it rebooted, I now get that it is looking for the SD CARD and will not boot. I can take and load the default 5.5 image to another SSD and it boots fine. Any ideas on recovering the failed update?