Hassio on PI4 with official SSD released bios support

read this:

1 Like

I want to tell you in advance that it is not against anything and no one. I know that this is a voluntary and leisure project, and I am glad that it exists and is evolving.
If I go back to running the SSD. I asked myself, why is it not recommended? Problems reported by the user, whether incompatible with the device, software, firmware. Yes, these issues are reported by users, but why? Yes, they want to have a stable system for several years, because it is not a toy, but it controls our home. They donā€™t report that their SD card has been destroyed, they just buy another one and continue. I see the main problem here, because no one knows how many such devices were affected by the destroyed SD card.
I believe that the SSD boot will be tuned and supported in the future, but it is still a long way off.

2 Likes

Did you database restore correctly? I just saw on discord that the database needs to be stopped prior to the snapshot of it will be corrupted. Iā€™m going to try again and see if it works for me.

Yes db was restored correctly. Today I run on a stable system Rpi4 8Gb HA 2020.12.1 HassOS 5.9

Mine was not. I just read you need to stop it prior to creating the snapshot.

I use the addon smba backup, which automatically saves images every night for a whole week. So I have the current 7 images and I used the last one. Everything went well. When I switched from SD to SSD I had some bugs in db. I removed db. HA will create a new one, but you will lose history.
It was on Rpi4 4Gb, but when I migrated to Rpi4 8Gb everything went smoothly.

So your db did not install correctly? I just saw that if you stop the db prior to the backup it will stop the corruption.

Thanks! Problem fixed.

I have RPi 4, I have OS 5.3 (beta) installed. Everything is running from a tested and working rather nice SSD drive with NO SD card. Everything is VERY stable at this point.

I see 5.10 release is now available. That being said, I read some of the other comments about 5.8/5.9 upgrade on this type of setup that SSD will no longer boot, etc and requires linux knowledge or reinstalls to fix.

I do NOT possess that indepth knowledge of linux to get me out of a bind and Iā€™d rather Not have to rebuild, restore backups, etc.

Is 5.10 safe to upgrade to and still have everything boot back up and be happy or should I just stay on the 5.3 I currently have and not do a darn thing?

I posted this in an other tread but can be interesting to answer compusmurf:

A few months ago I updated from SD card to HasOS 5.2 (beta at the time) with a USB connected SSD. Booting from USB (2 because USB 3 not booting). After boot this is working flawless. Whenever I update to a higher version of HassOS (tried 5.3,5.5 and now 5.10) my systems locks up every few hours. As you can imagine this is not really ok, waking up to a dark and cold house because HA locked up over night.

But what am I missing? What changed after HasOS5.2? Why does my system lock up (not responsive, no automations trigger, nothing) under the newer HasOS?

SSD: Western Digital Wds250G2B0C WD Blue Ssd SN550 Nvme 500 GB, M.2 2280
Enclosure: ICY BOX SSD M.2 NVMe Enclosure USB 3.1, Black

Hass os - raspberry pi 4 - 64bit v5.10

Booted right up from usb 3.0 - using a msata to usb 3.0 adapter and Msata 64gb XrayDisk
Ssd: The Usb 3.0 to msata adapter.