HassOS 3 released! Raspberry Pi 4 support

haha, yes, that 'd be cool! finally being able to do so (SSD/RPI4) #fingerscrossed

I have the same problem and have now updated via USB, but there is detail on it here:
Hassos will not update I have had it for a little while now, for a few different updates of Hass.os

I’m getting an error while trying to update from a Virtual Box VM Error: 500 Internal Server Error Server got itself in trouble

Then how should we be referencing it when we are discussing the “Generic Linux Install”?

Are you saying that since hassio runs in docker by default then saying “hassio in docker” is implying that it’s “hassio in docker in docker”?

After reading this thread and clearly not understanding the technology. What am I running on my PI4? HassOS or Hass.io

It looks to me like you’re running Raspbian+docker+hassio

Unless I have missed the info (quite likely), the RPi4 needs a update to the eeprom to enable native USB boot. It is handled differently in the Pi4 vs the Pi3. This will be pushed as a firmware update from the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

Once the Pi4 gets that update, the HA devs can work on HassOS to boot from USB.

From raspberrypi.org

Network and USB boot
Support for these additional bootmodes will be added in the future via optional bootloader updates. The current schedule is to release network boot first, then USB boot.”

1 Like

Exactly right. Same as Debian/Ubuntu+docker+hassio

Really?
How then do you describe the generic linux install of hassio?
You have to install the O/S and then install docker and then install hassio.
I don’t understand how this is factually incorrect. How exactly would you prefer this is referred to?

Exactly.

I’ve had people saying that if you say you are running hassio then docker is implied as hassio only runs in docker. (which is true)

This is very confusing for people.

EDITED TO ADD:
From the honeypot #hassio-in-docker discord channel

There is no hassio-in-docker, and that perspective is going to harm you and not help you. There isn't a special "hassio in docker" install. EVERY install of Hassio uses docker. You can only change the OS that is running docker, which is more likely what you mean.
2 Likes

Kanga,
Sorry, I saw David was replying so waited.
Thanks for this it puts ‘most’ of the issues in perspective.
Aeotec have dodgy hardware with their stick (they admit it and are working towards a resolution (not sure how unless it’s to “buy this new and improved (ie compliant) z wave stick”). ).
The raspberry pi organisation have changed usb hub implementation (on the pi 4) so it (consequently) refuses the aeotec stick cos of ‘violations’ (justly so having read the issues).
And we now need an update on the bootloader front to get usb loading (ho hum :pensive: )
It’s amazing that ANY developers get anywhere on this, so again I raise a glass to our guys for fighting through this treacle :beer:
I think it’s interesting about the network boot they are working on first, I’ll have to look into that for other things too.
An interesting read.

As the “generic linux install” of course.

1 Like

@frenck, from personal experience, the fundamental problem is there is nothing (that I have found) that explains the relationships between HassOS, Hass.IO and Home Assistant in a manner that is easily understood. The install guides are a maze and getting what you want can sometimes be a lottery.

It needs some simple explanation - assume the reader has little knowledge of the architecture and start from there.

[edit] As an example this is the first ‘suggest post’ - what does this mean.

4 Likes

There are simple explanations here on the forum.

But why not in the docs? How do I know which explanation is the authoritative one?

3 Likes

Because you haven’t submitted an edit to include it.

1 Like

Also see

Because I don’t understand it.

I note from a post on another thread you posted to Hass Vs hass.io Vs hassOS - #5 by samnewman86

Which implies you are not absolutely sure either…

[edit] posts crossed!!!

LOL they did.

By “I’ll try” I meant that “I’ll try to put it simply enough to understand”. On the technical details I believe my post is entirely correct.

Sadly that isn’t how it came across :grinning:. I’ve DM’d you.

Yeah, sure, the docs aren’t perfect, and we have tons of work to do. Help is appreciated, every page can be edited and improved by everybody.

For example, What is Home Assistant? As in, there is no where a page to be found that explains that.
We are very much in an era where Home Assistant used to be used by developers, we are slowly leaving that now, but it isn’t a 5 minute job.

It means the images offered are running HassOS and Hass.io is installed on it by default.

It could have said: “New Hass.io images, based on Ubuntu” :man_shrugging:

Bingo. I think fixing this should come to the fore. The project is way past a ‘developers only’ niche.

But I thought HassOS only had Hass.IO installed? (hence the confusion!).

I’ve DM’d @nickrout - happy to help with the docs on this as I definitely think the confusion does not help the project. I can’t actually do it, as I don’t understand it, but I can help review it to see if the output is understandable.