HassOS 3 released! Raspberry Pi 4 support

Super! Thanks a lot !!!

I would agree with David, show the ‘obligatory’ on their own line (and maybe in a different colour)
@cogneato but the only mention in this otherwise wonderful diagram of hassio is that it needs docker to exist.
So pretending that I have 3 brain cells (I know, that’s 2 more than I actually have :crazy_face: ) I may infer that hassio exists under docker but is above…??? Why is it not on the diagram ? What plugs into hassio ???
I appreciate that this is not easy but a good picture paints a thousand words

This looks exactly like “Hassio on Docker” to me. Where Hassio is a suite of docker containers that run on the docker installation.

I accept it is always Hassio on Docker, but as someone pointed out - it’s the way it has come to be describged so as to distinguish it from Hass.OS.

James :slight_smile:

1 Like

So if I am correct this update allows us to boot any device via the usb port (USB stick or SSD).
I currently use a rPi 3b+ and install the image like an SD (via etcher) on the SSD and just with adjustment in the config file it would boot up?

I will give it a try!

Question as the SSD needs to boot up via the USB port does it have any effect on the speed of the SSD? Or will it be equal to an USB drive? If thats the case I am going to buy and usb cause I dont have an SSD laying around.

Read the links given in the posts above, all your answers are there

Yeah, you’re right. Clarification on the ANNOUNCEMENT shouldn’t be handled here…it should be handled in one of the other 5,000 threads where we discuss the confusion of installation methods, where it falls on deaf ears. /s

Or you know, it’s being discussed here, because the ANNOUNCEMENT literally has words in it that are very unclear about a fully supported installation method.

We have been going round and round with the developers on this for over 2 years, and it seems nothing ever gets done about it. The community has tried to submit changes to docs to clarify only to be met with “It’s fine the way it is!”.

3 Likes

I’m wondering the same thing.

Should use the VMDK and convert it using Proxmox command line.

I believe ‘insufficiently clear sentences’ deserve to be clarified especially when they are in announcements.

EDIT
In fact, in response to feedback, clarifications to the announcement have already been made. We greatly appreciate Frenck’s many valuable contributions and his openness to suggestions.

Main contributors deserve congratulations, it is one of the engines of the motivation to continue to invest and share their personal time and skills for community.

I believe most contribute because they simply like the project. I know I do.

Even if the subject may deserve to be discussed, it is the HassOS 3 released! Raspberry Pi 4 support announcement, isn’t that annoying debate off topic here ?

I believe it does deserve to be discussed because it’s relevant to the issue of clear communication. Everyone is free to simply skip the parts they find annoying.

The average user’s confusion surrounding the terminology for Hass.io is as old as Hass.io itself. All attempts to clarify it are not only welcome but necessary.

Correct, as I stated before, the blog will be updated, which has been done.

Not sure what you mean in this case. This is place for an open community discussion. I do not see your point.

yes, it has been adjusted on our blog announcement now. As I have mentioned before.

Wow. This is based on totally nothing. I would appreciate you’d stop saying those kinds of things… Thanks.

Obviously, you didn’t read the quote to the person I responded to…or see the /sarcasm

And I thank you for that. My comments were in response to someone else…so…there’s that.

No. This is NOT based on totally nothing. We have been fighting this battle since the team announced HASSIO. Plain and simple. There are countless threads on these forums as well as Reddit discussing the confusion around the naming, the recommended install method, and how HassIO works. This is irrefutable considering the shear number of comments we read on this subject.

There have been several attempts to correct and clarify, but what we got was “The way it is is fine, so we added an FAQ, that sort of explains it, but only if the user actively searches this information out, because we don’t make it obvious”

I realize you are in a position where you take offense to this, but I am in a position where I read about this confusion DAILY. I know you are busy with the project, and nothing is a sleight against you personally, but the simple fact that there is so much confusion, should really open your eyes to the issues.

The entire point is that the diagram IS Hassio. It’s the whole environment. There isn’t any single thing IN docker to point at and say “There, that is Hassio”. The closest thing to it would be the Supervisor but it isn’t.

Hassio is the forest. Not a tree.

2 Likes

So “Hassio” is the canvas the lower portion of the diagram is painted on and basically refers to ANY installation that enables a working HA instance. Even when the items are run within separate/different dockers (and under different OS’s)

Thank you for your time, I had an inkling of this but it was lacking clarity.

Right. So, the whole canvas together, not just the lower part :grinning:

I’m having a problem with Date/Time. I’ve installed Hassos but when the system boots/restarts the system time is set to Fri Dec 21 2018 which naturally causes a few issues!
What is the cause of/cure for this.
Rapsberry Pi 3B+ over WiFi using
StarTech USB3S2SAT3CB SATA to USB Cable, USB 3.0 to 2.5 Inch SATA III Hard Drive Adapter
Kingston Technology A400 SSD 120GB

Update: I believe I have a solution. It works for me anyway
In researching my problem I came upon this:
https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/blob/dev/Documentation/configuration.md
which states:

"Our default ntp configuration look[s] like:

[Time]
NTP=time1.google.com time2.google.com time3.google.com
FallbackNTP=0.pool.ntp.org 1.pool.ntp.org 2.pool.ntp.org 3.pool.ntp.org

Further, I discovered that a) my Synology NAS times out when trying to synchronise time settings with NTP server time.google.com and b) so does ntpquery when querying time1.google.com
So I decided to try reversing the ntp configuration and I used a timesyncd.conf file containing:

[Time]
NTP=0.pool.ntp.org 1.pool.ntp.org 2.pool.ntp.org 3.pool.ntp.org 192.168.1.xxxx
FallbackNTP=time1.google.com time2.google.com time3.google.com

where 192.168.1.xxxx is the local IP address of my NAS on which I have enabled the NTP service.
Bingo! My system now boots and reboots fine.

I would like to use GSM as failover and send Alarm SMS. But I can’t find clear instructions anywhere - does anyone know more?

I have this GSM HAT:
Waveshare GSM/GPRS/GNSS/Bluetooth HAT for Raspberry Pi
https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/GSM/GPRS/GNSS_HAT

And now you see why I have been confused! I an running a RPI4 with raspian and the generic Linux install. So the question is what version of Home Assistant am I running?

I’m so confused!

0.103 most likely. The version 3 here is for HassOS not home assistant.

??? I’m sorry. I have no idea what this means…

Yes, but every one of those examples is some flavor on Linux. Which is why people talk about installing on a Generic Linux Server (as does the documentation) as opposed to Hassio from a HassOS image.

I would if there was more than one way to install it. If Chrome came as a separate all included package with its own OS as one way to install it or if you could install a similar (but different) OS then install Chrome on it afterwards then I would definitely refer to “Chrome installed on X” if it was pertinent to the conversation. Just Like I do when I say “Hassio installed in Docker” which implies I’m not using a HassOS image of any kind.

And even in the docs to install Hassio on a generic linux server one of the steps to “preparing your machine” to install hassio is to install Docker first.

I think the confusion came in when whoever decided to name Hassio made that decision.

Not only do I end up saying “hassio in docker” to differentiate the different ways to install hassio I also find myself saying “non-hassio HA” when trying to differentiate between HA with and without the add-ons.

The confusion has been created by HA itself.

Exactly.

I would like a simple straight forward answer to that question as well.

1 Like

Am I being overly simplistic when I describe my instance as

• RPi4 (device)
  • Hassos 3.5 (operating system) (including Docker, which runs containers)
  • Hassio 0.103.0 (Application) (a container…)
    ?