hassOS 4.8 upgrade breaks my install

This made me take a new habit: before an update, make a snapshot and download it.

3 Likes

If someone needs it, on GitHub a user posted a simple guide to rollback to the previous release using the CONFIG USB Key method.

1 Like

Same issue here, updated and couldn’t not connect
Logged onto RPI3 and performed snapshot restore and back in again now
System still wants to update to OS 4.8
Will also wait till someone finds an easier method

Guess who is going to ignore that for now?

chrome_SvACaVhayk

2 Likes

exaclty the same issue.
Thx to @RoRoo: Just restarting the supervisor container did it for me. Even rebooting works fine.
Apparently the update did not work, as still an update notification is shown in the UI.

But I think I will ignore it for now … :grinning:

1 Like

4.8 killed my install on Asus Tinkerboard S, been running it since Dec 2018 without any issue
Supposedly they dropped support for the S model, so not sure why it was showing as an update on the device. https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/issues/650#issuecomment-625682381

So, spent many hours seeing if I want to use a VirtualBox on existing Windows machine so that HassOS is up to date. Found issue with using a Z-Wave USB dongle not keeping same ID between reboots… so back to 3.13 Tinker Board S while deciding which hardware to use next. Is it even truly broken on the Tinker Board S (despite removing official support) or is it an issue with 4.8 still? :man_shrugging:

Same here: After the OS update, I wasn’t able to access HA anymore. Turned out the IP had changed because I hadn’t set a fixed IP in the router… Once I looked up the new IP, everything was fine again and the update to 4.8 had gone through.

the os update made me a bit of a mess, in the sense that some components and addons no longer worked when I restarted, I tried to upgrade to 110.4 and luckily everything went back to normal!

1 Like

That did the trick. Thank you very much for the hint! :+1:

None of the above options worked for me.
Thankfully I had a 2 month old snapshot and a spare SD Card.

1. Installed HassIO 4.8 fresh install on new SD Card
  2. Browsed to HASS and enabled Samba Share
  3. Copied the snapshot backup to the new SD Card
  4. Did a complete wipe and restore
  5. Enabled ext4 reader on my mac and mounted partition S8 from my old SD Card on the mac
  6. Stopped Home Assistant and copied all files (config folder) from old SD Card to new SD Card using Cloud9 IDE copy paste. And don’t forget the hidden folders like .storage as well.
  7. Restarted Home Assistant
  8. Verified everything’s working like today morning
  9. Took a fresh snapshot
  10. Drank a beer and a sigh of relief after 5 hours of the amazing 4.8 update, thank you!

I have a RPi 3B+ working wonderfully since the past 2 and a half years on HassIO. I did an update, and it just broke. Wouldn’t boot up and wouldn’t tell me why. Anyways, all’s good with the world now.

Moral of the Story is:-
Never underestimate the POWER of a SNAPSHOT!

Same issue here. After upgrade HassOS 3.13 to 4.8, cannot access everything. Only can ping the IP address but not SSH or HA web.

EDIT: After reboot 3/4 times, its went back to 3.13 and able to access everything.

Also here on RPI 3, system was not reachable via SSH or UI after the update.
Needed to downgrade using the CONFIG USB Key method from post #22.

I have the exact same issue as @anandharaj mentioned:

Same issue here. After upgrade HassOS 3.13 to 4.8, cannot access everything. Only can ping the IP address but not SSH or HA web. After a couple of reboots it works again (on the 3.13 OS version)

I updated last night on my Rpi 3. At first all my Lights via Deconz went unavailable. But I rebooted and they were back.

I’m running from an SSD if that makes a difference.

And as for snapshots. Try the Google drive add-on sync add-on. Mine is set to take a snapshot every night and then back up to Google drive.

Is there any easy to follow instruction for a “normal” user like me without any special UNIX knowledge how to make hassio working again? After this really breaking OS upgrade?

How can this happen that an update for the OS will destroy so much installations? Are we alpha testers?

And only an update button, no warnings, nothing. How a normal user should know how dangerous this can be?

I am not a unix man and just want to use the hassio.

In General I don’t understand why there are so many breaking changes or other changes. Nearly on every update of hassio something stops to work or works differently, or the configruation needs to be changed. And if I don’t follow some releases for some time then I can be sure. that there will be any major change and the advise “we told you earlier, this is depreciated, now it is to late, your config is invalid”.

I hate this change, change, improve, change, whatever it costs. Some more stability would be fine.

I used (and use in parallel) fhem for many years and never any update did broken anything.

1 Like

I’ll check that out, thanks for the advice

I installed and I was able to find the backup files here:
/var/log/journal\supervisor\backup\

But the backup doesn’t contain my last configurations, it is from February. I can’t find the files like configuration.yaml and so on on the SD card, search doesn’t list them. But I think they should be on the SD card, but where?

I found them manually:
/var/log/journal\supervisor\homeassistant\
strange, that the search of the Linux Reader did not found them

Ended up doing a fresh install of 4.8 and then using the Google Drive Backup addon to do a wipe and restore to my latest snapshot. Luckily I had backups set for every 3 days and my latest backup was a couple of hours before I did the update. My install is on a RPi 2.

So far so good.

1 Like

For me this worked:

1. Connect a monitor and keyboard to the Pi

2. Login and restart supervisor: docker restart hassio_supervisor

After these steps the webui is available and everything is back as before updating.
But keep in mind that the IP might have changed. Have a look in your router to get the new IP.

Edit: When the HA has booted you see the “Hash-Commandline” (#). Type login to enter the OS. Username is root, no pwd. See https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/commandline/
Enter the docker command.

1 Like