Have I bricked my device

and while I’m thinkin’ about it. At this time, don’t go into hassio yet… ignore that prompt, it’s just the default banner page. You want to keep yourself at the “#” prompt for now.

Thanks Moe and Dixey.

Unfortunately I don’t have a /config directory and nano doesn’t work despite being able to “login”

I’m familar with the editors (vi/nano) and how to navigate.
Any change my install is strange?
It’s the image for the raspberry that i’ve installed on my raspberry pi 3b+

/config is only available if you’re logged in to the SSH add-on (or if your docker exec in the home assistant container).

The actual path is mounted elsewhere, and it becomes blatantly obvious what that path is if you start looking around…df -h?

No. It’s standard, but you have to understand what’s going on in the background. It’s running docker.

When hassio is installed this way there is no /config. It is somewhere under /usr. As a rough and ready search do

find /usr|grep configuration.yaml

EDIT - ignore this post, I thought I was in another thread.

Inside the container it’s /config. That means nothing outside the container.

I don’t run hassio and don’t have time to dig through the code, but on hassio on a generic Linux docker install it’s /usr/share/hassio

I’m at a loss. I cannot seem to find anything.

Please note, this is console access to a Raspberry PI running the hassio image.

It looks like you are in the host. Most probably you can now go to /use/share/hassio/homeassistant to edit the configuration.yaml

If you prefer a GUI you can run midnight commander in the host (sudo apt-get install mc) by running “sudo mc”. Then you will be able to browse and edit files a bit similar to Windows.

Pretty sure that’s only for a normal Linux distro running docker. HassOS is /mnt/data I’m pretty sure.

fversteegen,
There is not /usr/share/hassio folder.
Also, there is no sudo or apt-get commands

m0e,

are you aware of any documentation on the location of those files. My finders are truly breaking from going into directories and typing “ls”

I think there is no way to gain access to the system via console, as hassio > or # prompt.

Correct. This isn’t a Debian based system.

Without looking at the code I couldn’t tell you but I’m pretty sure, as I stated in my previous comment, that it’s /mnt/data

100% incorrect. The files are literally sitting there on the filesystem. It’s accessible

Sounds like you didn’t get very far with setting it up. What you have done so far sounds very easy to reproduce. You may save yourself a lot of trouble and time by starting over again.

Just remember, the FIRST thing you do with hassio is install the ssh addon!

Thanks Moe.

I’m indeed looking around in /mnt/data.

Found this link and i don’t have a resin-data either.

I definately learned that now :slight_smile:

Actually, I’ve set up a VM on my home server under Ubuntu with docker. I feel much better about taking snapshots of the configs now.

That said, I’ve already re setup my mqtt server and some rules, what I really want out of the sysetm is the network key and some of the buttons I had working to move to new setup.

Plus just to understand where I broke the last system.

Found a solution!

use the extfs tool from paragon allows me to see the memory card details

Now I can remove the offening parts of my config…

For future folks, not sure if this directory is accessible from hassos> or # >

It is 100% accessible from #>

I was unable to find it from the # prompt, but that doesn’t mean it’s not there but absent of commands to find/locate it, I was just looking through directors.

Moveing the SD card over to a PC allowed me to see 4 file systems and the files I was looking for were easily found.

FYI, I was able to find the config files under /mnt/data/supervisor/homeassistant/, but this was a NUC using the VMDK with Proxmox. Not sure if the pi image is the same.

I’ve given up trying from the #> prompt and have edited the configuration from an external machine reading the memory card.

Old thread but I just ran into the same issue. Home Assistant refused to boot even after I had it check my config file and said it was good.

I’m running HomeAssistant (formerly Hass.io according to this) via VirtualBox to experiment with but the same steps should work as long as you have access to the command line of whatever machine you’ve installed it on (even a Pi with an SD card install).

After running login from the command prompt I was given when it booted up (where it seemed to be restricted to just ha commands) I got to the host prompt and started playing around with docker inspect to see where the docker images that home assistant uses map their data too. This was the revealing command:

docker inspect -f '{{ .Mounts }}' homeassistant

The key piece of the output was:

{ bind /mnt/data/supervisor/homeassistant /config ...

So the /config directory inside the main docker container (same file structure you get when using the SSH Add-on in the Home Assistant UI) is mapped to /mnt/data/supervisor/homeassistant/ in the host OS (i.e. the SD card or VM or wherever you installed it).

I edited the config file with the vi command (i.e. vi /mnt/data/supervisor/homeassistant/), undid my latest changes, rebooted the VM…

Problem solved

2 Likes

Actually this might not work with a Pi install or any install where you SSH in via the add-on. Apparently you cannot get to the host when connected via the SSH add-on. Seems you’d have to use this method which highlights the admin pains I’ve heard others describe.