Hayward Omnilogic?

It is definitely in the API component - haven’t had this particular data point in the past show up so we didn’t include it pulling over. Give me a couple days and I’m sure I can get an update in that will pull this.

Can you open an issue on the GitHub for me with the XML so I can track it?

Thanks!

I opened issues on both projects since both will be touched. XML is on the API one. Hope that’s OK :wink:

Much appreciated! Happy to help, just let me know.

Thanks!

Just discovered this automation, and I’m hoping I can make an idiot proof control interface for a Vacation Rental using this Automation.

Couple of questions, do you have to be in the same location for the automation to work (does the API send all commands through the cloud api, or are commands sent locally?). I’m trying to program this remotely and will setup the panel once guests aren’t using the property.

Second question, I’m having a problem that someone earlier had but I don’t understand how to fix it. Can someone help me get past this first hurdle? Here’s the error I’m getting

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 339, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/omnilogic/__init__.py", line 41, in async_setup_entry
    await api.get_telemetry_data()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/omnilogic/__init__.py", line 1023, in get_telemetry_data
    if type(config_item["Backyard"]["Sensor"]) == dict:
KeyError: 'Sensor'

My omnilogic is updated to the latest firmware. It’s at a vacation rental and I’m at another location (which might be the cause of the error). I was assuming everything was being sent through the Hayward cloud.

Thanks

Mike

1 Like

Currently the integration only uses the cloud so technically it can be anywhere. A future version should hopefully allow the option of local control as well.

If you can open an issue on the GitHub repo for the issue you’re having (note the version you’re running etc) along with the data files (instructions on the repo) I can definitely look at the error you are having. https://github.com/djtimca/haomnilogic

Local control would be great! Hayward’s servers crap out all the time! What do you think the timeline is to get local control up and running?

Likely will be a bit… local control uses UDP which will be a bit of a bear to set up.

Just submitted the new issue. Hopefully I did it right.

Thanks

I’m still on the original Integration. Is this version obsolete now (only HACS being updated) or is the plan to still update both (and the original just gets slower updates)?

Trying to avoid using HACS if possible.

Use HACS. The developer tried for over a year to update the core OmniLogic integration, but the HA folks never approved/merged the changes. So this is it now. And it is actually much better this way. There has been more progress in the month it’s been in HACS that in the last year and a half in core.

It’s possible that someone might pick up the torch on core to keep it progressing, but the devs who built the initial version aren’t looking at it anymore. There aren’t enough users of the integration to make it high priority in core so the updates take forever to get merged.

The HACS version is all we are maintaining now.

I’m willing to help with this since I’m about to have an Omnilogic system installed. Does anyone have local API docs they can share? I’d much rather have local control.

1 Like

After reading the last few messages, I went ahead and installed HACS on a clean Home Assistant OS version of HA. Then I installed the the omnilogic integration again, and am now getting a different set of errors. I’m sure this is something simple I’m missing (like maybe my username being my e-mail address or something like that). My new error messages are as follows after the HACS version install:

2022-07-05 15:49:54 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry Omnilogic for omnilogic
File "/config/custom_components/omnilogic/__init__.py", line 39, in async_setup_entry
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/omnilogic/__init__.py", line 1035, in get_telemetry_data

I’m hoping others have seen this before and can get me to the next step. My username is my e-mail address (fyi) in case that’s a known issue.

It just doesn’t feel like it’s installed completely.

When I use the debug tool, I get the following error:

Saved file: output_116_da522ab2ca_mspconfig.xml
Saved file: output_116_ec7af34395_telemetry.xml
An error occurred: list indices must be integers or slices, not str

Mike

Thanks @rukiddin - looks like a different issue than I’ve seen and also like there is something unique in your pool based on the error.

If you can open an issue with these details on the GitHub and post the contents of the two files that did get created there as well I can look at it. (I can’t see the files - you need to post the contents)

Thanks!

I just uploaded all the pertinent information to the issue list.

Thanks for taking a look. The only thing out of the ordinary on my system is an extra breaker that controls an outlet called Backyard, I can turn it on and off from the omnilogic interface. I can get rid of it, if this is what’s causing the problem (replace it with a smart switch or something)

Mike

Just got this working! Thanks Tim!

Can anybody share some of the automations and dashboards they’ve created using this integration?

I have a vacation rental, and my goal is to have several presets, single actions that will keep my guests happy, and yet prevent them from breaking my pool system.

Ideally, i’d want something like the following:

Preset for SPA (Daytime without lights) to run for 2 hours at 95 Degrees
Preset for SPA (Daytime without lights) to run for 2 hours at 102 Degrees
Preset for SPA (Night time with Pool/Spa lights, plus backyard lights) to run for 2 hours at 95 Degrees
Preset for SPA (Night time with Pool/Spa lights, plus backyard lights) to run for 2 hours at 102 Degrees
Preset for just Pool Lights
Preset for just Backyard Lights

This simplicity may not be necessary now with the new Home Assistant interface. I may be able to break the lighting away from the pool/spa settings so that they can be set independently (probably). What i’ve been doing is creating themes in Omnilogic, to dumb it down, and presets made the most sense.

Anyone else out there using this integration for a Vacation Rental setup? If so, please message me. I’d love to learn from someone already there.

Thanks

Mike

Oh man, good luck dumbing this down for the average user! Just curious, what are you using to display your UI? I wonder if you would be better off with some physical buttons that run your scripts rather than a screen with a fancy UI (albeit a very cool idea).

But for reference, the majority of my OmniLogic automations are triggered automatically based on time of day, current and upcoming weather, current pool water temperature, and presence. I only have one manually triggered automation which I push out to HomeKit so we can tell Siri “Go Swimming”. It then bumps up the heater a few degrees and sets a timer for 1.5 hours, and afterwards returns to whatever the pool settings should be at that time.

My plan was to mount an older iPad or some 10" android based pad on walls in the master bedroom and the kitchen. I also have other things in the house that can be added to the pads, so it’s not just pool automation (cameras, garage doors, gates, lights, etc.)

My house is located in a place where there is no natural gas, so it runs off propane, so having a timer for the heater is a critical part of it.

If I could have a SPA button, with maybe a temperature dial, that ran for 2 hours, and then reverted back to the mode it was in prior to hitting the button, that would be a huge improvement over the flaky remote that Hayward offers. Controlling the pool lights and backyard lights should be a piece of cake at that point.

Glad it’s working! Thanks!

This is working great. I am using home assistant to pull this into Homekit and have controls over most of it in HK using the HK integrating in HA. Any suggestions on how to get color control off of this into homekit?

I could be wrong, but I don’t think you’re going to find an easy way to select a color in HomeKit. This isn’t your standard “millions of colors” color selection like you’d see with a Hue bulb, but rather just short a list of available fixed colors and light shows. You could probably create a template switch for each color. It would be ugly, but it would work. Or MAYBE you could get really creative and create a template media_player with each color as an input, which I think can be passed in to HK as a TV with different sources. That’s just a guess - I have not tried it.