Header icons appear/disappear randomly

I’ve noticed recently that my header icons will often appear/disappear after reloads of the page, as shown below. Not sure what could be causing this. If I reload the page, sometimes they’ll come back, but sometimes they won’t. No real rhyme or reason to it.

Running HASSOS on an Intel NUC. Seeing it across the iOS app, and web browsers.

1 Like

I am seeing this since a few weeks, too.
I don’t have any explanation so far and couldn’t see something in the developer tools of the browser so far.
The big problem is really that this happens randomly across devices. However it was at least every time after the third icon, first three where always there. But after that sometimes one sometimes two are missing - I have seven icons at the top.
And it doesn’t matter if or what theme is selected.

I can’t help you, but at least you’re not alone…

Are you guys still seeing this behavior? I posted about something similar which has now morphed into basically anything in the header (all icons and also header cards) disappearing. It’s only on iPads weirdly and touching the screen brings it back.

Not only header, even side menu(specially if it’s not an MDI: ) … more annoying is it when your “working” on a cards, and the “Edit” vanish , or in /configuration / integrations(or HACS, when the 3 dots, in lower, right corner of the integration disappear. :slight_smile: … odd behavior

Are you on an Apple device by chance?

No chance ever :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still see this behaviour.
But it’s the same on Apple mobile devices, Windows and Android devices.

Same issue over here, 2022.08.1

Observed similar with phu- icons (https://github.com/elax46/custom-brand-icons).
The phu-icons sometimes were not displayed on Entities card, on a dashboard header.
Here is what helped me:

frontend:
  extra_module_url:
    - /hacsfiles/custom-brand-icons/custom-brand-icons.js

This is recommended here.

As for a similar plugin - https://github.com/Mariusthvdb/custom-icons - these icons are not displayed at all unless they are declared in config:

frontend:
  extra_module_url:
    - /hacsfiles/custom-icons/custom-icons.js
2 Likes

I am having the same problem. Phu icons in particulary disappearing since yesterday.
Only changes I did include using duckdns. But i am not sure that has anything to do with it.
I am also losing temporary connectivity to custom-button card but this seems to happen only on an old apple tablet.

I have the line on my config file that the previus post suggest already with my path to that js file
Maybe something wrong with hacs?

Any ideas?

I am seeing this (or worse) behaviour too since about 2 weeks ago. Left, top menus not showing (although they are there and work if you tap on the blank space) and a blank area on the right wiped out too.

A pull-down refresh usually fixes it.

Swapping to another app often causes it and sometimes temporarily fixes it.
Force quitting the app and opening does not resolve it.

This is what it normally looks like:

Is anyone aware of any troubleshooting steps that may help identify this issue. Did any of the previous posters identify/fix the issue?

App is running on an Apple iPad with iOS 16.3.1.

Running generic-aarch64 in a UTM VM on MacBook M1
Home Assistant 2023.4.5
Supervisor 2023.04.0
Operating System 9.5
Frontend 20230411.1 - latest

Interestingly, after implementing https using the LetsEncript addon, this behaviour seems to have stopped.

I’m experiencing the same issues. Using Proxy Manager for a reverse proxy, have disabled caching on it, but for some reason it still happens.

I’ve added the following to configuration.yaml

frontend:
  extra_module_url:
    - /local/community/custom-brand-icons/custom-brand-icons.js

Any toughts left?

Same problem with “custom-brand-icons”, found out that reloading the scripts in dev tools fixes it. Until the next refresh.Behavior is consistent trough browsers.
HA is behind traefik.
Accessing HA directly (by IP bypassing traefik so http) however doesn’t display the problem.

I never found a solution. Accessing by ip directly makes the issue appear a lot less but it still occurs.

What do you mean with the scroll refresh, which scripts?

“Good” to see I’m not the only one having to deal with this strange behavior.

The same here. PHU Icons are not displayed. No matter where.
But if i klick on “edit Dashboard”, they show up immediately!!