Heatmiser Neo-hub support, ugly and work in progress

HI@MindtrustUK

I only see one state which is ‘Heat’, nothing else. This is what is shown in custom-simple-thermostat:

So Operation shows only Heat while State is Idle. This is what the States shows:

Any chance of an update of the heatmiserneo work in progress?

With this plugin, will the heatmiser Neo work without sending data to Heatmiser? I’m looking for a privacy-friendly smart thermostat-smart TRV combo, and with this plugin, the heatmiser could well be it.

I’ve got the same Operation “lock” to heat.

Also same issues as @nicktheguitar describes above.

What would of been the broken changes in the recent updates that made this no longer work?

spotted this in my log, any ideas?

2020-10-02 08:03:02 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.climate] ClimateDevice is deprecated, modify HeatmiserNeostat to extend ClimateEntity

I would suggest this custom integration for the NeoStat is on a path to deprecation. I originally used this custom integration, but hit issues with NeoStat thermostats. I now have them integrated with Home Assistant using the “HomeKit Controller” integration.

This has exposed the respective thermostats in each room, and I’m able to set their target temp in my automations (NodeRed). One I have configured is to drop the target temp when the doors/windows in that room are opened.

Maybe try switching over to the HomeKit Controller integration and see if it works for you? For the NeoHub to work I had to reset its HomeKit associations, to do this follow this link - https://faq.heatmiser.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001693040-I-am-unable-to-pair-my-neoHub-to-HomeKit, and leave it alone for a few hours before then attempting the Home Assistant integration.

Chris

and by the way, I found I needed to try the HomeKit Controller pairing process a few times until it worked. I’m not sure if I have to press the “Connect” button on top of the HeatMiser hub … I pressed it a few times during the pairing attempts for good luck!

and - make sure you are using the right integration. The other “HomeKit” integration (I use “HomeKit Controller”) never worked or paired with the HeatMiser hub for me.

Chris

Pretty sure I fixed this a while back, pull the latest version from github and you should be good.

1 Like

Thanks, grabbed the latest and it sorted it.

Note that latest push to this integration moves configuration from configuration.yaml to Configuring via Integrations UI page.

And I don’t think HomeKit can replace this integration for all people. Isn’t HomeKit cloud based? For example in my home, NeoHub is on a separate VLAN with no internet access at all, it can only access my local devices (NTP requests are also port forwarded to my own device inside my LAN).

@MindrustUK I’ve looked a bit at what needs to be done for upstream to consider this for inclusion. One requirement that this integration doesn’t satisfy is that device API calls have to be done using external python library that is published on PyPI (and PyPI is a requirement).

I looked at the available options, one possibility is https://gitlab.com/virchow-personal/neohubby/. It’s just a very simple wrapper that does socket calls and json parsing. Basically that would replace json_request function in the current integration but rest of the climate.py can remain the same.

And it is already published on PyPI, so that’s a plus.

What do you think?

I have to confess I haven’t looked at any of the detail around Home Assistant for a while. It seems strange to move the API call functionality out to another library. However if it’s a requirement, then so be it.

The library linked looks good (very clean and simple) but will need expanding to do things like setting a target temperature, frost, away etc.

1 Like

Not totally Home Assistant related, but I have Heatmiser UFH and a NeoAir connected to a 2 channel RF receiver to control hot water and radiators.

The question is has anyone converted the NeoAir to run off a permanent supply rather than batteries? Looking to avoid an annual battery change if possible…

Just wanted to say thanks for the support with this component, I have used HA for a good while now and done some complex things but wanted to add a few notes for anyone trying this even if obvious for most. I only realised we had neostats in the house very recently so purchased a neohub (labelled prowarm but seems identical). First issue was not HA related but to get first neostat paired it had to be fairly close initially!

I have HA core and tried installing via HACS which worked but just would not show in the list as an integration to install. Therefore I tried numerous attempts to install manually in custom components to no success. Following many reboots and versions it always threw an error, I tried on a remote HA pi with Hassio - same issue. In the end it turned out to be browser cache being the reason it didnt display!! sometimes it just the smallest things you miss!

Anyway after install it showed up but no entities - still an error. Finally I changed the stats to use Celsius instead of Fahrenheit and low and behold I had all the stats as entities, happy days so thanks again.

Only issue I’m having now is this doesn’t seem to support 0.5 C set points as per the app? Should that work or is it not implemented in this code? Thanks

ok I might have solved this myself changing to float in climate.py
({“SET_TEMP”: [float(kwargs.get(ATTR_TEMPERATURE)), self._name]})

You don’t need float at all here. int can just be omitted. I mentioned it in one of the draft PRs. Anyway, this is something we are aware of…

ok, thanks stikonas, I guess I haven’t read enough and just hacked at it

Hi, I had the neo-hub paired fine for a couple of months, the temperature control stopped working so i removed the homekit controller integration. When i try and install the integration again the neo-hub does not show up. Does anyone know how to get it to show up again?
Thanks.

New here so I could be wrong but as I understand you have to reset the neo-hub before you can add it to a new HA instance. I have the same issue but my biggest problem is I don’t have iOS and I cannot workout how to reset the pairing under the Android app.

I’m all of a sudden seeing this error, any suggestions?

Retrying setup: time data ‘255:00’ does not match format ‘%H:%M’