Hello from a HomeSeer HS4 Refugee

So… Can anyone help me learn how to repurpose my Hometroller SEL? I’m sorry! I cant find anything anywhere.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Carlos ( @Cmriquinha9798),

I’d recommend you set the SEL aside for a little while and get yourself a Raspberry Pi starter kit instead. You would need to install a base Linux OS on the SEL as well as either HA core or HA supervised, but in either case you would have to be the Linux admin for your OS. With the RPi, you can get a ready to run HASSIO image that should have you up and running in a short time without having to get your hands dirty with the OS stuff.

Later, you can re-purpose the SEL, or possibly even sell it and stick with the RPi.

Hi Guys,

Question for you, after searching for 20 minutes in the forums…

HomeSeer had a Plugin called BLRadar (and DooMotion in the early days) These plugins helped me to define occupancy/active zone functions based on motion sensors.
In other words I want to have an active zone entity based on the fact a motion sensor detected motion within a definable time range.

Thanks for helping,
Rien

Sounds like something achievable with a Template Binary Sensor. It would replicate the state of an existing motion sensor but only during a specified time period (outside of that range it would always report off).

Alternately, you could use Template Sensor to report three possible states: on, off, and something like none to represent its state during off-hours. It depends on the use-case.

Hey Ken,

Thanks a ton! That’s EXACTLY what I was looking for. Some clear direction. Very much appreciated!!

Glad it helped. I’ve started looking into hassos and hass.io a bit more to understand why it’s only available for RPi or as a VM. It seems like a bare metal x86-64 image could be possible, but that’s based on my very limited knowledge of how hass.io works.

Here’s where I started: HomeAssistant for newcomers: What it is, what is hassio, hassos, hassbian, 101 and cookies

I have a couple of Zotac Intel atom based boxes that would make perfect HA platforms, much like the SEL.

There’s many ways to install directly.

Use the Alternative installs and the virtual environment (this is a python venv) not a virtual machine and you can install on almost anything with python (correct version of course).

But you only get “core” with this method, right? I want the full-on docker method with hassos, supervisor, add-ons, etc. but I want it running on a bare-metal x64 platform.

The recent name change of “core” didn’t change product.

Why do you want the other pieces that are only needed when running inside docker?

hassos is just the os layer that provides docker which “core” then runs inside. Supervisor just manages the docker instance. Add-ons you just install manually or with hacs. This would be the purest of bare-metal installs.

OK. Thanks for the education. I’m still learning and trying to figure all of this out as the names and terms seem to be changing under my feet. I did not realize you could install add-ons manually. That’s definitely a big piece of info.

There’s still a lot of misinformation and confusion after the shakeup of name changes and introduction of “core”. I’ve not followed as closely as I should I suppose with the naming as I already just used the manual install on a vm via the venv route or used hassbian which was the previous rpi install before HASSIO which is now the preferred install I guess.

I have been looking to keep my z-wave devices in HS and utilize HA for a nice front end. So I was glad to find this thread regarding the homeseer component.

I setup the configuration and I have all of my light switches and some battery powered devices (motion sensors) in HA, but all my door/window sensors were not brought over. I changed the naming scheme back to sensor binary thinking that may be the cause but that didn’t fix the issue. Is the component checking on restart for new items in HS? Has anyone run into this issue before?

Hi @justin2,

Welcome to the party. It’s actually the ‘pyhs3’ library that’s doing the heavy lifting. The code is looking at the “Device Type (String)” for every HS device for a match. Here’s a list of the currently supported devices in pyhs3, although the updated homeseer component that supports all of those isn’t released yet.

DEVICE_ZWAVE_BARRIER_OPERATOR = "Z-Wave Barrier Operator"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_BATTERY = "Z-Wave Battery"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_CENTRAL_SCENE = "Z-Wave Central Scene"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_DOOR_LOCK = "Z-Wave Door Lock"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_FAN_STATE = "Z-Wave Fan State"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_LUMINANCE = "Z-Wave Luminance"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_OPERATING_STATE = "Z-Wave Operating State"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_RELATIVE_HUMIDITY = "Z-Wave Relative Humidity"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SENSOR_BINARY = "Z-Wave Sensor Binary"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SWITCH = "Z-Wave Switch"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SWITCH_BINARY = "Z-Wave Switch Binary"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL = "Z-Wave Switch Multilevel"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_TEMPERATURE = "Z-Wave Temperature"

If you want to help me test the latest code, you can clone branch ‘additional-sensors’ from my fork here: https://github.com/kmitch95120/homeseer.

Note that this code has not yet been merged into Mark’s repo. Make sure you take a look at the README.md file as the way entity naming (i.e. location_names) works has changed significantly.

EDIT: Yes, new HS devices will be picked up and added automatically by a restart.

Thanks for the information Ken.

I cloned your branch and for the most part everything is working well.
I can see Luminance, Humidity, and Temperature get pulled in from the sensors.
I can now edit entity names from the UI which is nice.

The only odd thing I noticed is that my Jasco dimmers got reclassified from lights to switches, but my Homeseer dimmers stayed as lights.

What’s the Device Type String of the Jasco Dimmers? Compare it to the Homeseer dimmers.

@justin2, Did you ever get this figured out? I’m curious if I introdocued a bug in the component with my changes.

The device string was just a z-wave switch. I added Multilevel at the end and they were reclassified as lights. Thanks for the help.

Great. Glad to hear it’s working for you. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t break anything with my changes.

Hi all. I see quite a few familiar usernames in here as I too am coming over from Homseer after a long time of using it. Like you , I want to keep HS3 as my Z-wave hub as I have many switches and am trying to configure the marthoc plugin, but I keep getting a connection error. I have checked and re-checked the IP address, username and password several times so I don’t know what I am missing. After installing and restarting HA I keep getting an error message stating that the connection failed. See the attachment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Andy (@ando1),

It doesn’t look like you have ASCII Remote control enabled. Go to Tools->Setup, Network tab, Remote Control Settings and make sure both JSON and ASCII control is enabled.