Help. Redirect is not supported

I have just installed HA on a Synology NAS. When I click on the link to install Visual Studio Code add-on from the documentation it sends me to a Link to add-on page. I had to change my instance URL to http://192.168.x.x:8123 from the default for the link to work. But, the link takes me to a error page in HA that says,

This redirect is not supported by your Home Assistant installation. It needs either the Home Assistant Operating System or Home Assistant Supervised installation method. For more information, see the documentation.

How do I fix this? I have tried other links from the manual. I get the same thing

link

Yeah, so it means that you aren’t using Home Assistant Supervised or Home Assistant OS. You are using Home Assistant Core, which is just Home Assistant in a docker container - there is NO ability to install add-ons with this method of installation, because there is NO supervisor.

1 Like

So, the Synology hosted install is not one I want to use? I am better off going with a Pi or buying a Blue or Yellow?

You can still use it, you would just need to install the add-ons via the Synology interface.

Jumping in some months later to say how frustrating this is. I am otherwise perfectly happy to run Home Assistant with docker. It works well for me. A dedicated install does not and never will work for me. However, without a Supervisor, the documentation has become useless. For example, right now I am trying to set ESPHome for the first time. The ESPHome part is irrelevant. The problem is that every bit of documentation tells me to click on buttons that are never going to work on my installation. There are no alternatives presented. No hints of any kind of where to look in the UI for the place the magical button was meant to take me. No hints about how to install addons without a Supervisor. Everything assumes I am running a supervised installation. I will eventually figure all this out, but it’s extra hours of banging my head against a wall that are really disappointing me.

9 Likes