Help with HASSOS

All,

I am currently running HASSIO version “resinos-hassio-1.3-raspberrypi3.img”. I setup a Wifi text file and an ETH text file and both work fine. I have duckdns working too.

The issue with me now is that I can’t get the HASSOS version running. I have tried both versions 1.5 and 1.7, both the 32 bit and the 64 bit. So four attempts trying each one.

Using Etcher, I have programmed both a 4gb card and a 128gb card. I have tried with no USB key and connected to my Ethernet. And I have tried with USB key connected to my Ethernet…and I have tried the file pointing to my WIFI…and all of them do the same thing. They say No Ethernet Found at the beginning. Then they continue to boot. Then I see the HASSIO login text…and a short delay…and then it show text about all the port…saying something about port Up…and then down…and then the whole set of line repeat themselves over and over…never stopping. I can ping the Ethernet, and It show text when I unplug it, but I never get the HASSIO blue house picture. When I use the ResinIO version, I never see any text…it just goes from black to the white background and the blue house.

I am not sure what else to try…I know I haven’t probably given enough information, so any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much…!!
Steve

You haven’t said whether you’ve actually tried to connect to device_ip:8123 in a browser after giving it half an hour or so?

As hassio is designed to be headless I’ve never connected anything directly to the Pi to know what it does and therefore whether they behave any differently.

Someone mentioned after using Etcher on a PC they messed up the image by clicking something in the error message it kicks up about being unrecognisable but it had no effect when I did that on a Mac.

I too could not connect the WiFi/Internet. The reason was simple - the USB flash stick was formatted under exFAT

Sorry…yes I did…I tried both the Hassio.local and the IP:8123…I can ping it, but never got any thing back. I let it run about 30 minutes in each case that I tried.

With this new HASSOS base software…does it allow you to connect to the web service, before it completes…like in the resinOS…it would allow you to connect and it would tell you to wait while it configured itself.

I tried both removing the SD card before hitting the X on the prompt and after. And it does have a readable portion in windows where you can see the boot stuff.

Does the HASSOS take longer than 30 minutes to set itself…it seems to get finished quickly…and then just repeats itself over and over and over…the same s or so lines of text…

I tried formatting as Fat32 with one key…and then I tried NTFS with a totally different key. Same result. It has to be something silly…UGH…!!

Thanks for your response…I appreciate this awesome forum…!

URL hassio.local will start working only after you associate it with ip in “hosts”. Actually IP of your hassio server you can see in logs of your router. Of course if it can to connect to WiFi.

It is associated in my local hosts file…as it works with the ResinOS…everything works in version 1.3 in Resin. I just can’t get past the installation portion of HASS OS to be able to do anything.

May be IP has changed. Make sure that the device is not in the router logs. Then format USB stick with FAT32 and label “config”, create dir “network” and put into the file “hassos-wifi” with content:

[connection]
id=hassos-network
uuid=72111c67-4a5d-4d5c-925e-f8ee26efb3c3
type=802-11-wireless

[wifi]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=YOUR_SSID

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=YOUR_PASSWORD

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

Then insert USB stick in Raspberry(?) and power it on.

Bummer.

Don’t know how long it really takes, i just went and did something else for a bit and it was all done and running which must’ve been about half an hour.

IP is actually setup in the router…and I can ping it. I used the exact same version of the HASSOS-WIFI file you have here. Named CONFIG in all caps…with a lower case network directory. Tried different USB sticks…fat32, NTFS, different ports on RSp3.

I can leave it repeating those 6 lines over and over during the weekend for an hour or longer. Issue is that I only have one Rsp3…and it is running my house…so when the HASSOS boot does not work…I have to flip back to my ResinOS SD card…which boots right up. The family is now getting used to the Automated Home…so I guess I need to buy another RSP3 for testing. LoL…

If you can ping your Raspberry like below then the problem is not in the network but in the core of hassos.

*     PING hassio.local [192.168.1.14] 32 bytes of data:
*     32 bytes from 192.168.1.14: TTL=64

*     -- 192.168.1.14 ping statistics ---
*     4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 2ms

*     D:\Development\RaspberryPI\network>

I can ping it by IP address only…and only the IP of the Ethernet port…not the WIFI.

Ethernet and WiFi it is different network interfaces and different network addresses.Check “Actually IP of your hassio server … in logs of your router”

Yes…correct. my WIFI is .188 and my ENET is .34. They are both setup in the router…and I can see the ENET at .34 show up in the Connected Devices of my Router, when I turn on the RSP3. I can ping them from the router and from my laptop at the .34. But nothing else…only ping works. No web services.

Does anyone know what shows up on the HDMI of the RSP3 during boot up using HASSOS…?

So I did it all from scratch using the 32 bit ver 1.7…and it did the same repeating texts lines. I let it run like that all night…I can ping it, but it is not responding…so I put it on my TV HDMI and took a picture of the repeating lines and then after it ran all night. If Anyone who could help me decipher what is wrong, I would be greatly appreciative.

It says No Ethernet Found at the very beginning and then looks like it is installing. Then after it says HASSOS login…it starts repeating this text:

Then after it ran all night…this morning it was doing this over and over.
After%20All%20night%202

Any ideas to try when I get home. I know the Rsp3 is good…the Ethernet Cable is good…the router is good. I know because I plug in the other SD card based on version 1.3 and it just boots right up. I am at a loss as to what to do next…Please any help would be great…!!

Use nmap on another computer to see what ports are open on your hassos machine

nmap -p 0-65535 ip_address_of_hassos

Nick,

I used a program called advanced port scanner. The IP address is showing up in router…10.0.0.34. And when I select that IP…it shows the name as hassio…maybe getting that from the router. The only port open is 10010. It just keeps repeating that same lines I pasted above. I used a different SD card…a different USB drive…and plugged it into a different router. UGH…

Thanks for any advice…

Having the very same issue here.
I had the old hassio working on a pi3 B+. I am using the same pi now and tried several things:

• Ethernet cable
  • Wifi
  • Another SD card
  • Another PI

It seems to be something with the network, I can see the PI connected in my DHCP list, even with the hassio name, however, when analyzing the data traffic, there is no sign of anything being downloaded.

I also tried to get the old hassio image to work from here:

I get stuck with the blue house logo on the PI, nothing shows in the <PI_IP>:8123

PS: I have an Asus RT-ACRH17

Ok made some progress…I was able to install 1.7, but I had to unplug my Ethernet cable. It connected over WiFi. I then restored a backup and am working now.

If I plug in my Ethernet cable and restart it goes into that same loop that I took a pic of above. Any thoughts on what to check to make the Ethernet start behaving. It works fine in resin at ver 1.3.

Thanks for any help