Hildebrandglow - Smart Meters - SMETS2

I have monthly data available from my MQTT readings on the Glow IHD.
The firmware is on V1.9.0.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks; I’m still on “App firmware 1.8.12” as I don’t have my Glow IHD connected to the internet - I’ll try updating to see if it starts to include the monthly/cumulative data on the MQTT messages.

Updated to latest firmware “App firmware 1.9.1” but my MQTT messages still don’t contain the cumulative data for cost (£), only for usage (kWh); for example (data values redacted, but shows the structure/fields available):

Message 1 received on glow/[redacted]/SENSOR/electricitymeter at 7:48 AM:

{
    "electricitymeter": {
        "timestamp": "2023-04-21T06:48:09Z",
        "energy": {
            "export": {
                "cumulative": 0,
                "units": "kWh"
            },
            "import": {
                "cumulative": #,
                "day": #,
                "week": #,
                "month": #,
                "units": "kWh",
                "mpan": "[redacted]",
                "supplier": "[redacted]",
                "price": {
                    "unitrate": #,
                    "standingcharge": #
                }
            }
        },
        "power": {
            "value": #,
            "units": "kW"
        }
    }
}

QoS: 0 - Retain: false

Did they provide a link to the API?

This is mine …

Thanks; it looks the same - it provides the day/week/month figures in usage (kWh), but not in money/cost (£).

The MQTT data is just the live data from the meter showing usage, and the unit rates. The cost is never shown on the meter as the app or your provider use the usage data and the unit rates to work out your energy costs.

I use NodeRed to use the usage data and unit cost data to give me the total cost of usage.

Im trying to install the integration by @HandyHat but its not pulling in any data - the bright app shows the data just fine.

I do not have Glow CAD (yet) so wanted to test the API only integration.

Is it still working?

I’ve given up with the DCC version. (No Glow CAD).

I did get daily data through March, but the data dried up towards the end of the month and none has been received since.

I’ll persue it no further.
It looks like you need the Glow CAD for any reliability / stability.

Good point - we do have all the data (as long as it was recorded for the whole time period) to calculate these downstream. For example, in the HA Energy Dashboard, although those numbers aren’t (yet) available as entities for usage elsewhere:

I do think it would be nice if we could get the cost figures that the Display/CAD already calculates over Local MQTT as well, so I’ve posted on the official Glowmarkt/Hildebrand forums here:

FYI: Just checked the Hildebrand shop and the CAD (w/o screen) is now available from their shop.

I have one, but it’s currently awaiting collection for a return as it doesn’t reliably power up.

When it did work, it was very good and I’m looking forward to receiving the replacement.

Is that a SMETS2 CAD? I can only find a SMETS1 CAD and the Display/CAD (both SMETS1 and SMETS2 versions).

However…

" Currently only available to customers on our Waiting List who we have notified; we are offering the device to the people who’ve been on the list for the longest."

1 Like

That’s the one I have. There’s a dedicated custom integration to get the local MQTT data from it and into HA.

The current power usage updates every ten seconds (faster than my Shelly EM) and it was accurate and reliable.

Unfortunately the only issue I had is that it wouldn’t always power back up properly once disconnected. When I received it, I quickly plugged it in to get it working. The following day I unplugged it to properly locate it and it just wouldn’t power back up. After repeated attempts, it eventually started working again, but it didn’t seem right.

Hildebrand’s support have been brilliant and immediately offered to collect and replace the device (which they’re now doing tomorrow). I’m looking forward to getting the replacement and having it back online.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I’ll be looking to ‘upgrade’ from the IHD CAD as I don’t really need another IHD I don’t ever look at. I’m pretty sure I signed up to be notified but I never heard anything until this thread made me check.

I’m hoping I can pass my IHD on to my father who has got the same PV setup going in as me aI want to build him a small HA box for his energy management (as soon as I get the modbus side of the inverter playing nicely) but I did notice that it says they can’t support the resale of the devices as they are tied to your meter.

I’m not sure how true that is as I moved house earlier this year and brought the IHD CAD with me and they connected it up to me new homes meters. I might have to drop Jane an email to clarify.

Jane is amazing, and is the benchmark of what Customer Services should be.

I’m sure that if she can help, she will.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I was on the waiting list as well, but didn’t receive an e-mail to say they are in stock. I just ordered one despite what the website says and the order went through.

If you are interested in one, just try and order it. They seem to still be in stock.

1 Like

Anyone using the IHD and have solar with batteries?

Mine was commissioned yesterday and I’m expecting to see the excess charging the batteries, but I’m seeing that one my generation exceeded my consumption my IHD is reporting all over the place that is not consistent with my usage.

I’m trying to work out if the IHD is seeing this accurately or not and if it is, is this normal or is there something not set correctly.

Turns out it was seeing it correctly, the batteries go through a bit of a learning period to work out where 100% charge is

1 Like