Hildebrandglow - Smart Meters - SMETS2

@HandyHat

Well done on setting this up. Full of admiration for anyone who can knock something so effective up so quickly. Have had the integration installed for the past 6 hours and both gas and electric readings coming through (and I don’t have any Glowmarkt hardware - just using the api). Will see whether I get the midnight issue too.

The only data coming though is KWH consumption. Is there any prospect of pulling cost data through as well, or should I assume that we need to set up a separate mechanism for calculating cost based on my own tariff arrangements?

1 Like

@jone9618 I think the integration just pulls the KWH usage. You can set the cost separately in Hassio: Configuration > Energy then edit each consumption entry to use a static price and add your costs. This won’t include standing charges but works well enough as an indicator of cost.

Just don’t make my mistake of entering the 19p per KWH as £19 - that was a bit of a shock!

1 Like

All seems to have stayed working fine overnight for me.

Did a HA reboot yesterday afternoon and got data flowing again. However the data stopped again at midnight. I’ll try removing the integration and re-installing and see what impact that has.

I just found the gas sensor had gone unavailable. Hitting “reload” on the integration itself seems to have cleared it. But very odd that it seems to be a bit variable.

Been trying to figure out how best to get power and gas consumption data for my home. Requested my energy company upgrade me to SMETS 2 (green energy) but they have no time scale to fit it :frowning:

In the meantime, I was looking at the hildebrand stuff, Is it correct that they require the device to be internet connected, and that you can only retrieve consumption data from their servers? I would prefer something that works locally without dependency on a cloud service if that’s the case.

@HandyHat I’ve tried over the last couple of days to get the integration to continue to deliver data past midnight and failed. I’ve tried reloading the integration as well as removing it and re-installing. Each time it starts but ceases sending data past midnight. Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong? I don’t have any Hildebrand hardware involved in the mix, but understood that that should not matter, although I’d be happy to get one of their IHD if they were available and it made a difference.

I’ve also failed to get gas information to flow, although to be fair that information is also not showing in the Bight app, only the electricity meter data despite the app showing that both meters are verified.

fwiw I have the same midnight problem

I’ve had a notification in HACS to say that an update is available for this and it was pushed 2 days ago so maybe it fixes the midnight problem?

Fingers crossed, have updated to the latest version and will report back on impact. I’ll give it 24-48 hours unless there is something obvious.

For others having the midnight issues, this is a dirty temporary fix I’ve put in place to restart just after midnight until it’s fixed in the integration.

alias: 'Daily Restart Home Assistant'
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: 00:05
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: homeassistant.restart
  mode: single

Hey there @WhimsySpoon @Eldudemeister @Gronda @jonnyrider @declan-morris @Isablend @jone9618 - it’s great to see everyone enjoying the integration.

I’ve made some changes that should hopefully stop the sensors becoming unavailable at midnight. I’ve also made some other changes, including changing the domain name to separate it from the original project. Because of this, you’ll need to uninstall the old repository and install the new one here - apologies for the inconvenience.

I’ll see if I can get cost data setup flowing for the next release.

@Azelphur unfortunately yes, the data has to go through Hildebrand servers.

3 Likes

@HandyHat This is fantastic, thank you! I’d been playing around to see if I could use homeassistant.reload_config_entry to reload the sensors on a routine as a workaround to the sensors going unavailable but if you’ve found a fix then that’s brilliant :grinning:

1 Like

Installed the new version from he new repo and it works brilliantly!

@HandyHat, thank you so much for your efforts on this. Please consider setting up a Buy Me a Coffee so that we can show some appreciation!

1 Like

@HandyHat I removed the installation, did a restart, then re-installed checked the dates on the files involved to confirm that they were new following the re-install. I’m satisfied that the new version was installed replacing the old version.

Following this I’m afraid for me at least I stopped getting data after midnight. I checked the logs and the following messages appear

2021-08-20 00:44:14 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.hacs] <Integration HandyHat/ha-hildebrandglow> Getting repository information
2021-08-20 00:44:15 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.hacs] <Integration HandyHat/ha-hildebrandglow> Running checks against v0.2.0
2021-08-20 02:44:15 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.hacs] <Integration HandyHat/ha-hildebrandglow> Running checks against v0.2.0

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to get log information to help.

@WhimsySpoon Thank you for your kind words! I have added the link to the repository, but please don’t feel obligated to donate.

@Isablend It looks like that is using the version on the old repository. Unfortunately as part of changing the domain I had to move to a new repository which you can find here - you’ll need to uninstall the old repository and install that new one in HACS to get the latest version (v0.3.x).

@HandyHat Understood. So I deleted the old integration and added the new custom repository and installed the Integration. Rebooted and for the life of me cannot now install as an integration. I’ve rebooted now many times and each time under HACS it shows as an integration. Under config → Integrations its not available.

@Isablend That might be a browser cache issue as descibed here - you can clear it by holding shift while pressing the refresh button.

Man alive. Never thought of that but it’s made the difference. I’ve reset and will report back . Thanks.

1 Like

One book on the way! Thanks for the amazing work you do!

1 Like