Hildebrandglow - Smart Meters - SMETS2

@HandyHat and that has solved the issue of midnight cutoff for me. Thank you!

1 Like

@HandyHat midnight issue also fixed here.

1 Like

Iā€™ve set this up and initially it seemed to be working but my value hasnā€™t updated in a couple of hoursā€¦ Is this normal?

@danmed Iā€™ve also seen some odd behaviour today with data reported from midnight to 0600, then nothing until 1400 when I seem to have a spike which is combined data from the last 8 hours then nothing at 1500 and a report again at 1600. I do have data for each hour in the Bright app so clearly something isnā€™t quite right but so far Iā€™m just assuming itā€™s a passing glitch.

thanksā€¦ it seems the time of night i was setting it up was to blameā€¦ obviously things reset at midnight and whilst it does take some time sometimes to populateā€¦ other than a couple of blipsā€¦ all the data is there eventually.

it would be nice to get current draw from this but unless i want to stump up Ā£60 for one of their IHDā€™s itā€™s not going to happenā€¦

This does integrate nicely with the new energy monitoring system if you set it up as a utility meterā€¦ which iā€™m really happy withā€¦ considering the only sensor it spits out is a ā€œtotal todayā€ style gaugeā€¦ iā€™m impressed the energy monitoring can still split it down by hourly consumption.

@HandyHat Iā€™ve had quite a few periods of the sensor dropping out. Looking in the logs I see:

This error originated from a custom integration.

Logger: homeassistant
Source: custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/sensor.py:108
Integration: Hildebrand Glow (DCC) (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 26 August 2021, 0:01:46 (778 occurrences)
Last logged: 10:05:48

Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 708, in _update_entity_states
    await asyncio.gather(*tasks)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 451, in async_update_ha_state
    self._async_write_ha_state()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 498, in _async_write_ha_state
    state = self._stringify_state()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 470, in _stringify_state
    state = self.state
  File "/config/custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/sensor.py", line 108, in state
    return self._state["data"][0][1]
KeyError: 'data'

The sensors are not showing as unavailable but havenā€™t reported any data since 0700 yesterday.

Mine stoped reporting data from 21:00 last night. Interestingly the Bight app has stopped reporting data from 02:00 this morning. The integration however is showing as unavailable rather than zero rate.

Whoā€™s your provider? Iā€™m with Octopus and annoyingly my meter has stopped reporting the reads so I canā€™t see them in the Bright app. Firmware issue with the meter which is getting resolved in September.

my provider is EDF

I have also been seeing some problems with the integration. Got this when I restarted HA earlier:

Logger: homeassistant.components.sensor
Source: custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/sensor.py:36
Integration: Sensor (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 21:28:57 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 21:28:57

Error while setting up hildebrandglow_dcc platform for sensor
File ā€œ/config/custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/sensor.pyā€, line 33, in async_setup_entry
resources = await hass.async_add_executor_job(glow.retrieve_resources)
File ā€œ/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.pyā€, line 52, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File ā€œ/config/custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/glow.pyā€, line 78, in retrieve_resources
raise InvalidAuth
custom_components.hildebrandglow_dcc.glow.InvalidAuth

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File ā€œ/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.pyā€, line 249, in _async_setup_platform
await asyncio.shield(task)
File ā€œ/config/custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/sensor.pyā€, line 36, in async_setup_entry
await Glow.handle_failed_auth(config, hass)
TypeError: handle_failed_auth() missing 1 required positional argument: ā€˜hassā€™

Looks like i lost data (to the bright app too) at 9pm last nightā€¦ or just afterā€¦

Restarted HA a few times but no changeā€¦ if Bright doesnā€™t have the data then i guess thereā€™s no way HA willā€¦

Iā€™ve email glowmarkt to see where the problem lies as i assume itā€™s either with them or with octopus.

You might have the same issue as me. Iā€™m with octopus and my electricity meter has stopped reporting the reads back to Octopus. Itā€™s something to do with faulty firmware. Apparently the fix is due in September.

Interestingā€¦ i only had my smart meter installed a week agoā€¦ and itā€™s been reporting like a trooper since thenā€¦ so not sure itā€™s the same issueā€¦ my timings seem to line up with other someone else here that commented.

Response from Glowmarkt :

Hello Dan,

That looks like a local WAN issue - typically, that isnā€™t down to your supplier but to the DCC. I believe what they do when a meter doesnā€™t respond is to send another nudge the next night when they do the daily consumption data collection. If your data still isnā€™t refreshing by tomorrow, we suggest that you let Octopus know and perhaps they can do something to move things along.

Unfortunately there isnā€™t anything we can do. Good luck!

Kind regards,
Jane Wilson

Seems odd to me that my timings match up perfectly with Isablend : Hildebrandglow - Smart Meters - SMETS2 - #67 by Isablend

Iā€™m seeing the exact same error when rebooting :

2021-08-31 10:51:56 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Error while setting up hildebrandglow_dcc platform for sensor
  File "/config/custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/sensor.py", line 33, in async_setup_entry
    resources = await hass.async_add_executor_job(glow.retrieve_resources)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/glow.py", line 78, in retrieve_resources
    raise InvalidAuth
custom_components.hildebrandglow_dcc.glow.InvalidAuth
During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 249, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.shield(task)
  File "/config/custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/sensor.py", line 36, in async_setup_entry
    await Glow.handle_failed_auth(config, hass)
TypeError: handle_failed_auth() missing 1 required positional argument: 'hass'

Hi all,

I am also missing all my smart meter data since the 28th of August, which lines up with @Isablend and @danmed. Interestingly this is also missing in my provider (Shell Energy)'s app, which means the issue does not lie with Glowmarkt.

@Eldudemeister Do you have any more information about the firmware issue with your meter?

@Gronda your error should only occur when the data received from the API is empty - do you have anything showing up in your Bright app?

@jone9618 An error with the retrieval of resources indicates that the API failed to find any meters linked to your account. The error handling of the integration isnā€™t great so itā€™s assuming your credentials are bad and attempting to fix that. Assuming your data is showing up in the Bright app, you should be able to fix that by removing and re-adding the integration

Not really annoyingly, this was the update I received from Octopus

Looking into this I have found that your meter is made by Kaifa. Weā€™re having some issues with the firmware on some of these meters.

This means that after a certain period of time (seems to be different for each meter) the meters stop being able to retrieve and provide half hourly readings.

There is a fix for this in the works, and we hope this will be rolled out in the next couple of months (although as always with these types of things, we donā€™t have definite dates yet).

I found an issue last night where I couldnā€™t log into the Bright app so I reset my password there and updated the integration. Oddly as of today it is still not pulling through any data and seems to have dropped off from Saturday on Bright and Bulb (my provider). But looking back through the data I do have, there are drop-outs in Hassio where the Bright and Bulb apps both show data e.g. on 25/8 in Hassio I have a gap between 0600 and 1000 but data showing in both the other apps for that period. Iā€™ve now reset my meter displayā€™s connection to my WiFi in case that was the issue (although it was showing as connected). Going to give it a day or two to see if data start reappearing.

So following yesterdayā€™s post, I took the action to remove the integration and install. I made sure to get the password wrong to ensure that i could see it was using my credentials and rejecting me correctly, which it did. I then entered the right credentials and the integration installed. Ininitially not showing any data i.e. it was reporting .
All this time (thoughout the period when the integration has not been showing) the Bright app has been showing data albeit sometimes there would be a delay sometimes up to a few hours, but data none the less.
For 2 days now my IHD has been showing blank or attempting to connect to the meter and failing and I though it canā€™t be related, but took the action to reboot it, so its now working also, although Iā€™d be happy without it if this works consistently.
Checked it this morning and Iā€™ve got data showing from the time of the re-install and IHD reboot. So something has clearly changed or unblocked during this period. Iā€™ll keep and eye out and report back.