Hive Integration

Awesome - this is now working as expected.

I now plan to get some door sensors and possibly a second hive unit for my second zone

Thanks for all the hard work, and let me know should you need any testing doing :slight_smile:

All working good for me, liking the heating states thank you :+1:

Don’t think it’s been said but, in case anyone wonders, you only have to add the custom components for kit you have, ie heating only needs main, climate and sensor to work.

excellent, glad to hear all is working for you guys, thanks very much for the feedback :slight_smile:

@PianSom,
We can read the frost protection values from the Hive API, and it sounds like this works also for multiple devices :slight_smile:
I think how the Hive system works is that if you have the heating in OFF mode then it will always only show the frost protection as target temperature. If you have it in Manual then it will show whatever you manually set. If you have it in Schedule then it will always reset to that in the schedule at the next time slot. so if it is scheduled for OFF then it will show the frost protection temperature as the target temperature, if you manually raise the target temp then it will show that value as the target temp, but when the next schedule time slot ticks round it and that is also set for OFF then it will reset back to the frost protection temp.
I will send you a PM regarding the JSON data so we can update to take the name form Hive.

@elPaulio,
thanks for the offer of testing. we will reach out to you when we need more testing :slight_smile:

@Bobby_Nobble,
Glad you like the heating states (you are referring to the now and next?)
And yes, thanks for clarifying regarding the required files / custom components, I don’t think it has been mentioned before.
You only need to download and copy in to place the Hive_main and then the file for the components you need. So if you only have heating then you need main, climate and sensors
if you have only lights then you need main and lights

At the moment it is only heating and / or hotwater that needs the sensors file, but it could be in future releases that the sensors file will be needed to extra functionality for lights / plugs to expose mode and schedule information much the same way as heating and hotwater.

quick question regarding the heating / hotwater state attributes, I am not convinced the current format is the best format and am very open to ideas on how this could be presented.
Essentially you have two fields, the one on the left aligned left for the key and the one on the right aligned right for the data.
At the moment it is only for visual reference, but you can get the data out for using in automation, so having a static key on the left is best, but at the moment for hotwater it will either say “Scheduled now ON” or “Scheduled now OFF” (and also for next).
The question is should it say as the key on the left “Now” and “Next” only, and then have all the other info in the data on the right, such as “ON : 17:00” or “OFF : 21:00”?
Maybe the format, such could include end times? such as “ON : 17:00 to 21:00” or “14.5 : 21:45 to 07:30”

I hope all this makes sense?

Looks like you could be busy in the future with Hive bringing out a camera, flood sensor and new hub etc.:slight_smile: Thanks for all the work so far.

ha :slight_smile:
I didn’t know they were releasing anything new, it has been pretty stagnant with new products from them for a while

yeah, looks like a camera at the end of the month followed by a leak detector and a new hub.

ah ok, so the highest vote product idea on their ideas page and has been requested since 2013 is for “Wireless Radiator Thermostat Valves” so they go and release something completely different, makes sense.

1 Like

Hive/British Gas haven’t listened to many requests on their web site. Makes you wonder why they even bother having it.

you don’t want to be listening to customers, rule 101 I’m sure…

My thoughts exactly.
I think it is a very good idea to have the products ideas site and is a positive thing for a company, but only if they spend the time to respond to every request / suggestion and implement some of the ideas.
The way British Gas have handled their ideas site, in my opinion, is pretty bad for them as, as you say they have not listened or responded to many request.
When I first got hive I used to visit there regularly to see if there was any progress on the wireless valves, but then noticed a trend of them not responding and even declining ideas without response, so I stopped going there.

The only reason I kept Hive is due to this excellent plugin for HA, was goign to buy a Nest. Hive didn’t even have geoloction features until this plugin surfarced and I used it with my HA setup. I still don’t use the Hive new Geolocation feature and have it turned off.

2 Likes

Hi

Sorry to bombard you with messages @rendili - I thought this may benefit from other people’s input

One thing I would like to do is to boost my hot water for a couple of hours at 10am if my lazy, good-for-nothing, can’t-get-out-of-bed-at-a-reasonable-time teenage son is at home. I already have an input_boolean for his presence, so was wondering about an automation like this:

- id: boost_water_for_son
  alias: Boost water for 2 hours at 10am if son is home
  trigger:
     platform: time
     after: '10:00:00'
  condition:
     condition: state
     entity_id: sonishome
     state: 'on'
  action:
    service: climate.set_operation_mode
      data:
        entity_id: climate.hive_hotwater
        ?? operation_mode: BOOST
        ?? duration: 2 hours 

Does your Hive work support a service for the climate entity yet? If so, what is the syntax?
If not, any plans to develop along these lines?

(I guess it might be easier to avoid Hive’s semi-proprietary BOOST mode and just time to ON for x hours then to back to SCHEDULE with an automation.)

Hi Rendili what do I need add to the configuration file to see the ‘hive switches’ (active plugs) and will it work with multiple or just one plug? Thanks

if you check the states in HA and the list of current entities you should have one listed as switch.xxxx where xxxx is the name you have for your plug, mine is switch.plug_bedroom e.g. Add this to hive heating entities as described in the first post, hopefully that should do it. Rendili will confirm but I think it will list multiple switches if you have them in which case you will need to add the name of each one to the config yaml.

Hi @Richard.S

If you add the files to the locations mentioned in post 55 that’s all you will need to add to your system. For the configuration you just need to add the following.

hive:
username:
password:

Wish the username and password indented with 2 spaces under hive, that’s the basic config to get started, there’s more detailed config in post 1 of this topic.

1 Like

Hi @Richard.S

Yes, this component does support multiple plugs as well forgot to mention that in my last post.

Thanks, I’m up and running it’s just getting the switches to show. I can see temp etc. I’ve downloaded the new files and added the new “switch” folder, rename files as mentioned in post 55. But no switches show in the current entities?

Hi @Richard.S

Sorry I thought you where just starting out with this component, my mistake.

Do you have the devices option in your config? If you do you will need to add “hive_active_plug” to the devices list for plugs to show.

Hi @Khole, I’ve added as suggested “hive_active_plug” to the devices list, close and restarted. Still not showing in the current entities list:
climate.hive_heating
climate.hive_hotwater
sensor.hive_current_temperature
sensor.hive_heating_boost
sensor.hive_heating_mode
sensor.hive_heating_state
sensor.hive_hot_water_boost
sensor.hive_hot_water_mode
sensor.hive_hot_water_state
sensor.hive_target_temperature
sensor.hive_thermostat_battery_level
sun.sun

this is what I have in the device list…
devices:
- hive_heating
- hive_hotwater
- hive_thermostat_batterylevel
- hive_heating_currenttemperature
- hive_heating_targettemperature
- hive_heating_state
- hive_heating_mode
- hive_heating_boost
- hive_hotwater_mode
- hive_hotwater_state
- hive_hotwater_boost
- hive_active_plug

I’ve have 4 plugs called “Fan”, “Kettle”, “Lamp1” “Lamp2”.

Thanks for any help.

Did you use all the new files from that post (including the main one) also it might be worth clearing out the python cache folders under each component, I do that every time I upgrade the components