Holman WiFi Tap timers intergration?

I am looking to integrate this:
Holman Industries (Australian company) have some wifi tap-timers for garden irrigation - model is WX1

It uses an app (ie: Cloud) and of course integrates with Google etc, but I was wondering if anyone had seen an integration with Home Assistant? (It would be nice if it used Tuya or something similar that can be brought in under local).

I have a couple of their Bluetooth controllers and while they are OK, Bluetooth is a pain for transmission distance and reliability.

1 Like

I’ve got some too and would be interested in this as well.

I have noticed that the application UI does resemble tuya (especially the setup page).

I might have a play around with using Tuya on it over the weekend - though I’m not sure whether or not that would break integration with the soil moisture sensor or not.

That would be interesting.

Even if it can’t be brought into the Home Assistant world via Tuya, how do you find the wifi version?

As I mentioned, I have the Bluetooth versions which means I have to be standing close to change anything. My biggest gripe is the lack of 2-way info - eg: they don’t show the time left when you do manual watering - something the basic electronic models all do.

I also have the Holman WX8 (wifi model) and would love to get it connected to HomeAssistant.

I’ll make sure to report back if I have any luck while trying to add it to Tuya.

These devices are available in Bunnings, so may be gaining in popularity. Has anyone had success in getting them up on Tuya? The Arlec lights that Bunnings sell work well on Tuya and hence in HA

I have an Arlec switch working on Tuya Local in HA, but the irrigation system would be great.

Anyone had any luck, i looked around and couldn’t find much on getting Holman integrated. They hit my simple need which is two locations, don’t want to mess with solanoids (no need) and seem like a very fair price point.

1 Like

I also am looking at integrating Holman into my HA.
Has anyone contacted Holman about integration?
Has anyone managed to integrate it into HA using any other roundabout way?

Hi Joel,
Did you have any luck trying to add it to Tuya?

Is there any other comparable products that enables flow recording and tap timer?

I have a couple of WX1 wifi tap-timers aswell and would love to know if anyone has integrated them to HA . However, I notice Orbit Bhive has an integration available on HACS if anyone is interested. II

cheers

I am interested in getting this into HA too. Any help would be much appreciated.

I’ve added a Holman WX8 to the TuyaSmart app no problems. I didn’t even try to add it to the holman app. It’s fully configured via the TuyaSmart app (manual start each zone or program A/B/C, setup A/B/C schedules, set manual run time for each zone, show info including rain sensor).
Running the Tuya V2 integration (the official one) it doesn’t pick it up yet (but device was listed in debug log though so should just need a driver for it)
Running older Tuya original integration (the unofficial one) it detected it as a single switch which controlled zone 1 only
I set up a scene via the TuyaSmart app to fire off one of the watering programs, both integrations picked it up and ran it as expected. Scenes only allow you to start/stop a zone (or program) - no setting of running time, so if you wanted to set a zone to run for a certain amount of time you’d need to use HA’s automation. Running a program obviously already has all the zone run times.
So to sum it all up, you can get it to work for basic watering needs, and I imagine it will eventually get a driver that provides additional functionality.
For the technically minded, its running a Tuya WR3 module so no Tasmota.

4 Likes

That is very good news.

I have been using Tuya Local, so I assume it can also be integrated that way.

Your reference to the rain sensor - that means you are running the EVIE sensor? If so, does that play well with HA?

I wonder if that means the WX1 is also Tuya?

Yes I have the Evie sensor but I believe it would show the state of any rain sensor. Note that it is only showing up in the Tuya app, it is not showing as a sensor in HA.

Thanks.

I have an Ecowitt weather station that is integrated into HA and the rain sensor from that could be a substitute and be used as a condition in HA automation, so I possibly don’t need the Evie.

I just setup the WX1 and the smart moisture sensor using the Tuya Smart app. The process was seamless.

Looking at my HA, I have the Tuya integration setup and it reports one entity, being the WiFi Hub that appears to actually be a switch for the socket.

Looking at the integration readme it points to the Tuya custom component which I need to try, however it doesn’t list any gateways or these devices as supported presently… there is a page to vote on what they should support next, maybe that’s an opportunity to make a proposal for the Holman WX1 tap timers via gateway.

3 Likes

So it looks like you are using the new Tuya 2 which is still under development, hence the missing integrations. They seem pretty receptive to new entities, so go for it.

I am using Tuya Local with Zemismart blinds and an Arlec switch but will probably switch over to the new one shortly. If you don’t mind the fiddly steps in set-up, you could try Tuya Local in the meantime.

@Steve61 yeah Tuya 2 sounds right. I will take a look at the Tuya Local custom component.

So playing around with the tuya-cli and bumbling around a bit, it looks like there’s not a lot of support for sub-devices like with the WX-1 and Holman moisture sensor. That being said in the Tuya-cli using the get command with the WiFi Gateway ID and Key with the WX1 CID returns what appears to be all of the dps (not sure what that stands for) for each both the WX1 and the Holman moisture sensor (example results below).

{
  dps: {
    '101': 19, // Ground Temperature
    '102': 71, // Ground Moisture
    '103': 4,
    '105': '2',
    '106': '0',
    '107': 5,
    '108': true,
    '113': '0',
    '114': '24',
    '115': true,
    '116': false,
    '117': true,
    '120': 0,
    '125': true,
    '127': 'HOL9-018-023-005-000'
  },
  cid: '061'
}

Comparing values I can see that dps 101 is ground temperature and 102 is ground moisture, beyond that I would need to play around more.

Unfortunately, my lack of familiarity with the Tuya API and Home Assistant means I’m not sure what would be a way to progress this but thought I might share, just in case someone spotted something that might be useful or that it might trigger a suggestion from the community.

1 Like