Home Assistant addon : qbittorrent (supports openvpn & smb mounts)

Anyone got this to work with Mullvad VPN? Adding torrents is extremely slow (minutes to even just appear in the UI), and then they all just “Fail” immediately. Here’s the log. Works fine without VPN. I haven’t tried any other VPNs yet. Any tips?

Thanks for the very detailed summary!

Thanks, I’ve removed the default fields in the latest version

Thanks for the report, I’ve got no idea as I don’t use vpn… When I did some tests I used some free openvpn profiles that can be found on internet. Any error messages in the log?

HI Alex, the log is here. Thanks for looking into it. This is already WITH the " ipv6 issues with openvpn (@happycoo)" instructions from your site.

QB is obviously doing something (I see download speed rise and fall), but there´s nothing in the queue and also nothing gets downloaded into the set Downloads folder. It all works as expected with VPN off.

EDIT: I see all QB prefs are reset when using VPN, is that expected? Turning off VPN brings my old prefs back again.
EDIT2: eventually it started working… why is it always like this? :slight_smile: :man_shrugging:
EDIT3: it´s all very intermittent, sometimes it connects right away, sometimes not at all, sometimes I see the torrents being downloaded, sometimes not (localhost and my LAN is whitelisted).

“EDIT2: eventually it started working… why is it always like this?” :smiley: ah ah it’ps Murphy’s law :wink: glad it worked.

There is no reason that your prefs don’t stick though. Which values don’t stick for example?

All prefs seemed to be reset. It looks like it´s all right there but SO slow it takes literally minutes to even show the correct settings…

it´s all very intermittent, sometimes it connects right away, sometimes not at all, sometimes I see the torrents being downloaded, sometimes not (localhost and my LAN is whitelisted). Its super weird.

It looks to me Pi4 cannot deal with the VPN, the QB addon has CPU usage of 10% (with VPN off it barely registers), leading to this weirdness.

So you said you applied this? Home Assistant addon : qbittorrent (supports openvpn & smb mounts) - #199 by happycoo?

I’m not an expert on openvpn but I see ipv6 errors in your log, and connection misconfiguration, are you sure of the quality of your openvpn file? Perhaps the ipv6/ipv4 switch could explain misconnections…

It´s config from Mullvad, plus the IPV6 tweak you mentioned.

It´s probably me, I can´t make it work with Mullvad VPN (this is new config)

It’s really super weird. I have disabled the VPN, and it’s still incredibly slow, prefs really seem to be reset (it’s all set to default even after I let it sit for 15 minutes…). Sonarr cannot connect to it… This is even after I restarted the whole Pi (host) AND removed/reinstalled QBit. All other stuff works fine so this doesn’t look like failed SD card.

try openvpn_alt_mode it sped my download up from 100kb to 5 mb :smile:

Hi, indeed! It works by binding the container and not the qbittorrent app itself. I had disabled this option (that was the default before) as someone had said it could be a security risk as the app would continue to work even if openvpn stopped working. However, it is documented that this met is allows faster and more stable connections… So its really a matter of preference and accepting a low risk at the benefit of much higher speeds!

Ohh Thanks for the explainer. I did not read the dokumentation this time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahah, sorry by documented I meant that I read that on reddit :slight_smile: it is not in my addon documentation, although indeed it could be!

Hi, openvpn seems broken but I don’t understand why. Do people here have the same observation? I have been looking at it for some days but it is a strange issue: dns resolution works for all sites except torrent trackers despite dns being set to public ones such as 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1

Thanks for any feedback or ideas :slight_smile:

Edit : all good now. And there is a new feature that verified that vpn is correctly enabled and io protected. This is especially useful in alt_mode : although download speeds are faster, there is a risk of ip leakage if there is a misconfiguration of your ovpn file. This new feature prevents the addon from running the vpn is enabled but your ip is visible.

It seems alternate WebUI is broken again. Can you please take a look?

1 Like

Which one?

I just tested on my own system and they all loaded fine. Could you please post a log?