Home assistant addon : Scrutiny (SMART dashboard)

Supports aarch64 Architecture Supports amd64 Architecture Supports armhf Architecture Supports armv7 Architecture

Hi, I’ve create an addon for my use and wanted to share it if it can be useful to other people :wink:

Thanks to @ElVit for helping with some debugging and providing valuable input!

About

Scrutiny by Analogj is a Hard Drive Health Dashboard & Monitoring solution, merging manufacturer provided S.M.A.R.T metrics with real-world failure rates. This addon is based on the docker image from linuxserver.io.

Features :

• SMART monitoring
  • Automatic addition of local drives
  • Hourly/daily or weekly updates
  • Ingress
  • Automatic upstream updates

Installation

The installation of this add-on is pretty straightforward and not different in comparison to installing any other add-on.

1. Add my Hass.io add-ons repository to your home assistant instance (instructions)
  2. Install this add-on.
  3. Click the Save button to store your configuration.
  4. Set the add-on options to your preferences
  5. Start the add-on.
  6. Check the logs of the add-on to see if everything went well.
  7. Open the webUI (Ingress based) and adapt the software options

Configuration

Webui can be found through Ingress.
It automatically mounts all local drives and updates it regularly, then provides SMART data in an easy to read dashboard with temperature and probability of failure.

GUID: user
GPID: user
ssl: true/false (for Ingress)
certfile: fullchain.pem #ssl certificate
keyfile: privkey.pem #sslkeyfile
Updates: hourly/daily/weekly #frequency of smart update

Integration

Integration with HA can be done with the rest platform in configuration.yaml.

Two types of api endpoints are available:

For the detailed data, wmn can be found for each hdd within the scrutiny app. For example for me : http://192.168.178.23:8086/api/device/0x50014ee606c14537/details

Example to get data from the first hdd.

rest:
  - verify_ssl: false
    scan_interval: 60
    resource: http://YOURIP:ADDONPORT/api/summary
    sensor:
      - name: "HDD disk 1"
        json_attributes_path: "$.data[0].smart_results[0]"
        value_template: "OK"
        json_attributes:
          - "device_wwn"
          - "date"
          - "smart_status"
          - "temp"
          - "power_on_hours"
          - "power_cycle_count"
          - "ata_attributes"
          - "nvme_attributes"
          - "scsi_attributes"

Illustration

5 Likes

Nice. Are the sensors available in home assistant for generating alerts?

1 Like

Thanks! There are hooks included by the scrutiny app dev to send SMART failure notifications (custom script execution, ifttt, webhook, email, telegram…) but I didn’t look at how it could be integrated with home assistant yet.

Update : in addition to the push notification in case of failure, there is an accessible api from http://yourip:8080/api/summary in a json format, so it should be a “simple” matter of polling it and adding it to a sensor… Not sure yet how to do that but I guess the rest sensor would allow that.

Here is an example of output :

{"data":[{"CreatedAt":"2021-04-03T11:23:57.841846952+02:00","UpdatedAt":"2021-04-03T11:23:59.313983498+02:00","DeletedAt":null,"wwn":"0x50014ee606c14537","host_id":"","device_name":"sda","manufacturer":"","model_name":"WDC WD10JMVW-11AJGS3","interface_type":"","interface_speed":"3.0 Gb/s","serial_number":"WD-WXM1A56NFDKE","firmware":"01.01A01","rotational_speed":5400,"capacity":1000171332096,"form_factor":"","smart_support":false,"device_protocol":"ATA","device_type":"sat","smart_results":[{"ID":1,"CreatedAt":"2021-04-03T11:23:59.37886623+02:00","UpdatedAt":"2021-04-03T11:23:59.37886623+02:00","DeletedAt":{"Time":"0001-01-01T00:00:00Z","Valid":false},"device_wwn":"0x50014ee606c14537","date":"2021-04-03T11:23:59+02:00","smart_status":"passed","temp":28,"power_on_hours":14444,"power_cycle_count":670,"ata_attributes":null,"nvme_attributes":null,"scsi_attributes":null}]}],"success":true}
1 Like

Description : Home Assistant adds a viewport tag to the page when using ingress and this messes up with the addon as it requires a minimum pixel width of 960px. Sorry this is an issue from the upstream image so not sure how to solve this…

bug solved

1 Like

New version up : rev2

Solves the ingress bug and allows to view the dashboard on any device at any resolution

New version : rev3

Addition of new ingress icon thanks to @ElVit

1 Like

@tom_l
Hi, I’ve checked a bit and integration with HA can be done the following way.

Two types of api endpoints are available:

For the detailed data, wmn can be found for each hdd within the scrutiny app. For example for me : http://192.168.178.23:8086/api/device/0x50014ee606c14537/details

For example, to provide the SMART status of the first device :

Configuration.yaml :

rest:
# General infos
    resource: http://YOURIP:ADDONPORT/api/summary
    sensor:
      - name: "HDD disk 1"
        json_attributes_path: "$.data[0].smart_results[0]"
        json_attributes:
          - "device_wwn"
          - "date"
          - "smart_status"
          - "temp"
          - "power_on_hours"
          - "power_cycle_count"
          - "ata_attributes"
          - "nvme_attributes"
          - "scsi_attributes"
# Detailed error rates
    resource: http://YOURIP:ADDONPORT/WWM/summary
    sensor:
      - name: "HDD disk 1 Read Error Rate"
        json_attributes_path: "$.data[0].smart_results[0].ata_attributes[0]"
        json_attributes:
          - "failure_rate" 
    resource: http://YOURIP:ADDONPORT/WWM/summary
    sensor:
      - name: "HDD disk 1 Spin-Up Time Error Rate"
        json_attributes_path: "$.data[1].smart_results[0].ata_attributes[0]"
        json_attributes:
          - "failure_rate" 
1 Like

Great idea man thanks keep it up all the time. am very happy to see your standard.

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate very much the feedback :smiley:

BTW new version as of today with option to select the update frequency : hourly, daily or weekly

New version up : fd4f0429

• Add new banner in log
  • Update to upstream latest image (bug fixes, no new features)

Since updating to HassOS 6.0 I get this error in the supervisor log:

ERROR (SyncWorker_7) [supervisor.docker.addon] Add-on Scrutiny try to access to blocked device sda1!

Still seems to be working though.

Thanks, I’ll have a look. Already good news that it works but I’ll look if I can see why that happens

At launch? I don’t have this error in my own logs… So not sure how to help

I just tried stopping, waiting, and then restarting the addon. It produced the same error in the supervisor (not addon) log,

ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [supervisor.docker.addon] Add-on Scrutiny try to access to blocked device sda1!

I’m using the NUC image (now called Generic x86-64).

Thanks for the check. I did the same but no error in the supervisor log (running for 20 min as example)

I’m on armv7, but not sure what would be the impact of architecture on this message… BTW searching on github I found that someone had reported the same message to me a couple month ago on a previous version of the scrutiny addon. The issue he had was solved but perhaps it is a msg that was already there before ? But I’m not sure how to help as I can’t reproduce and if it doesn’t prevent functionality

21-06-12 04:55:22 INFO (SyncWorker_3) [supervisor.docker.addon] Starting Docker add-on db21ed7f/armv7-addon-scrutiny with version fd4f0429
21-06-12 05:16:58 INFO (SyncWorker_4) [supervisor.docker.interface] Stopping addon_db21ed7f_scrutiny application

Is there a total terabytes written value available?

@alexbelgium This looks very nice! I want to put a big NAS in my network so researching possibilities. Could you share your setup? You have all your harddisks attached to your home assistant? or something else? And how do you access the storage?

1 Like

Hi, no idea… I don’t have the addon installed for the moment to check but not sure that it is a tracked data in SMART…

Hi,

I use HA on a rpi3b+ for all house automation (doorbell, lights,…), self-hosting (bitwarden, adguard home, qbittorrent…), media distribution (through an emby server), periodic automatic code launch (opening ports in router, joal, automatic update of my addons…), and HA management (local filebrowser, automatic database backup in Google drive)

The HA itself is physically connected by ethernet to the router and Philips hue port, and by usb to a fan for cooling and a external hdd for media storage.

The external hdd is either mounted directly through my addons, or exposed in SMB through the addon Samba NAS. Rpi3b is not efficient for smb as usb and ethernet share the same bus (I believe). But its perhaps not the case of other systems.

HA is available from internet, which allows accessing all internal elements through Ingress, except for bitwarden which is directly available.

What I would like to add is a second hdd, with a script to backup all data in case of data loss but I haven’t found an ideal script yet (probably based on rsync)

Thanks for the extensive answer! Hope you find the way to get that second hd added. Unfortunately I’m at no use there :stuck_out_tongue: I thought my looking at the illustration you had 6 hd’s connected. But that’s just from the original author?

1 Like

Hi, indeed, the picture is from the Scrutiny developer :wink: https://github.com/AnalogJ/scrutiny

But no reason that it wouldn’t work on a system with HA…