Home Assistant Alexa Cloud - Device is unresponsive

When in doubt, check Amazon servers.

These issues pre-date yesterdays outage by a significant margin of nearly 2 years

Odd, I’ve been using this for 5 years now with no issues. :man_shrugging: EDIT: I should clarify, all the issues I’ve had are self network inflicted or AWS services being down.

Maybe it’s a geo-location thing. I’m in the UK, my Alexa controls should also be in the UK/Europe. Nabu Casa never offered me a location for their Cloud solution so commands could be bouncing across the globe rather than within a more geographic friendly boundary. That way an outage in AWS-US-EAST-1 would have zero effect on me.

I get the same issues, Alexa says devices are unresponsive but switches them on anyway
Along with alexa’s general stupidity this is really annoying

1 Like

Exactly the same here, nothing mentioned above helped for me, pretty annoying for 60 bucks per year

1 Like

For the past month or so, 80% of my requests are met with “[device] isn’t responding,” followed by the desired action occurring. This is very annoying and was not a problem before.

1 Like

It’s been next to useless for me over the past few days. I still need to follow the advice in cogneatos’s post though.

To be honest, I have no idea how to delete the /config/.storage/cloud file.
How cann I do?

1 Like

Start with whatever it is you use to edit your files, then use that to delete it. You’ll need to enable the viewing of hidden files. Or you can use the ssh web terminal

1 Like

I just followed the suggestions here to resolve, doesn’t seem to be much better unfortunately. It’s been pretty bad the last few months with the requested action occurring after the “Sorry [device name] isn’t responding”. Reviews of the Alexa skill seem to all be the same problem, going back to June 2021.

Using a YAML config filter I’ve only got 12 devices and 9 scripts exposed.

number of devices exposed wont make a difference, only for discovery. The speed of the response is the only thing that matters for “device isn’t responding”.

If your devices are polled, you’ll also have this issue.

1 Like

Everything that is responding is a Z-Wave+ device on a pure ZW+ network. They’re instantaneous in every other method used to control them. I’ve kind of just filed it under “the cloud sucks”.

I’ve been experiencing this more and more over the last 6 mos to where it’s a problem now as everyone in the house is getting frustrated having to repeat themselves. Steps I’ve tried:
Cleared out the Alexa skill, excluded all domains, deleted all devices in the alexa app, removed and re-added nabucasa cloud, factory reset all alexa speakers, and cleared the cloud file. None of this has improved it notably. It almost seems like nabucasa cloud is being rate limited to AWS. Note I do not have this issue nearly as much with the 2 google home devices I have.

1 Like

Same. It’s unusable at this point. I reached out to Nabu Case support and was told they hope to have new upgrades in place in the next few weeks to remedy this. However, my family is done with the frustration, and I just spun up my own AWS & Alexa app/skill to handle this myself.

Response I got from Nabu Casa support that I shared on another thread.

1 Like

The new relayer was deployed! This only took a few minutes, and happened earlier today. Now it’s time to see if it helps!

You don’t have to restart HA for your server to re-connect, or sign in or out of cloud, but you can. If you wait long enough it will just connect on its own or it has already happened.

Try out your Google and/or Alexa voice assistants and apps and see how it goes.

6 Likes

It’s working perfectly now. A very noticeable change. Thank you.

I can confirm that mine has been much more responsive in the last 7 days - I’d say over 98% of commands are completed first time now.

Great work Nabu Casa!

Oh my god, thank you!! This has been so frustrating the past couple of months after Alexa stopped seeing first some and then ALL of my devices that I had set up in Home Assistant. I followed pretty much all of your steps with just a couple of small changes - including here in case helpful to others:

• I did not delete /config/.storage/cloud. Instead I went into Developer Tools and under Configuration Validation clicked the “Restart” link, which I’m guessing reset that file appropriately

• I found I had to change the order of the last 3 items. I had to do these 3 steps several times in different orders until I got Alexa to actually properly see everything. This is the order that seemed to finally do the trick for me:

1. Managed entities for Alexa within Home Assistant to expose the devices I wanted Alexa to see (while Alexa integration was still disabled).
  2. Re-added the Home Assistant skill to Alexa
  3. Reenabled Alexa within Home Assistant (I think I may have also clicked the “Sync Entities to Amazon” link after re-enabling Alexa)

And… at least for tonight, all is working! Hopefully it stays that way this time!
Abby