Home Assistant App for Garmin

Hello.

on the github issue
I posted a question, please check it :slight_smile:

Issue title
“I would like to ask about the three problems that have occurred.”

My HA only works on my Garmin watch when my Connect app is open on my iPhone. If I close the app on my iPhone then the HA app on the Garmin watch says “No Phone Connection”. Background refresh on the iPhone is activated. Can anyone help as I dont want to leave the Connect app open all the time. Thanks in advance!

@Dolf

This post above from @a_smart_hoome currently represents the best insight we have.

I don’t know Apple products, so I can’t comment on how the data connection is affected by application permissions and behaviours.

Sorry.

On it at I would like to ask about the three problems that have occurred. · Issue #40 · house-of-abbey/GarminHomeAssistant · GitHub

Amazing work, thank you. One suggestion. It would be great, if the connection to the phone is lost, the app would call up the connection via Wifi. That’s how the APICall app works (yours is infinitely better). Imagine popping out of the house in a t-shirt without a key or phone and slamming the door, and it’s winter outside. With only a Garmin and your app on hand, you can be a hero in this situation. Wifi coverage is better. T.

So I’m not sure how to do that. You’ll see in the code we have two conditions: https://github.com/house-of-abbey/GarminHomeAssistant/blob/25205e715e3c34ba7cdb0ba29ec0aeb84acc547a/source/HomeAssistantService.mc#L113

I’ve never successfully got the second to fail during a simulation. I can’t get the simulator to drop the Wi-Fi connection. All the devices I have experience of using only connect to Wi-Fi to sync, not for general Internet usage. So which device are you using please?

If I sim with the right device I might manage to make that useful change. I realise the order of conditional tests is presently not helpful, which goes to show we’ve not successfully tested (and failed) in this scenario. Good news is, with your help we might improve on this point.

@NP_Complete

Hello.
I modified the code as requested
The symptoms are the same…

The code shown here is the first code.
Please click on the link to see the last one.

Please check it.

Thank you.

We’ll track progress on the Github issue rather than duplicating here. Once we solve your issue, feel free to post lessons learned here for others.

Changed scene name to uppercase and lowercase, problem 3 solved.
However, the symptoms of question 1 are the same.
Do you know how to check the status of API call logs?

The symptoms for question 1 appear the same in other apps, HassControl apps. Is it Garmin’s own problem?

If I can click on the scene and check the log to see if the results are good or wrong, it will help me a lot to fix the problem.

Is it somehow possible to add parameters to a script when calling it via the tap_action?
I have something like this:

service: script.send_message
data:
  volume: 0.7

See Allow parameters to be send with tap menu items · Issue #52 · house-of-abbey/GarminHomeAssistant · GitHub, issue raised.

1 Like

The logbook lets me see when scenes were activated.
The Events listener does not appear to help with scene changes.

I’m really hoping someone else can answer this question better.

What I’m talking about is not HA’s logbook.

I think if I check the log content of communication from GarminHomeAssistantapi to HA, I will be able to check the problem more, what do you think?

Do I have to do it through Garmin sdk?

Hi,
In last release you have changed translation for execute string. In slovak is now Popravený it mean killed. Better will be maybe “spustený” It mean something like started.

Can you correct this by creating a corrections.xml file in the Slovak resources folder (there are examples of how to do this for French and German)?

Hi where is used string "confirm " ? I need to check what does it mean in context because normaly it is potvrď or potvrdiť .

Ouch! How about “send” which will hopefully translate better?

See instructions at https://github.com/house-of-abbey/GarminHomeAssistant/blob/main/README.md#submitting-corrections-for-translations for submitting corrections to translations in general.