Home Assistant App from GooglePlay notifications using NodeRed

Earlier last year i got everything i had setup and runnning within HA, once i found that there was the android app, i installed it and got that working as expected(simple really)

I setup a nodemcu to monitor my washer and setup notifications using Nodered, which push notifications to the app and i get an alert. For the life of me, i cant recall what if any steps i took in order to get that to show up on my phone.

Reason being is that i setup the app on my wifes phone now and updated my Nodered flow to send the same notifications to her as well, but she isnt getting any of them, only me. I have updated HA to the latest, ive also restarted the server, her phone does show up on my dashboard and i can select it from the developer tools screen, both our “devices” show up.

I have a feeling i missed a step in order to get her to receive the notifications.

Can anyone suggest any links to read on such issue? Or offer any steps i may have missed all together?

start with https://companion.home-assistant.io/docs/troubleshooting/faqs/#i-dont-see-a-notifymobile_app-service-for-my-device-in-my-dev-services-panel

then move down the list as you need to.

I build a payload first with a template node, and then just send it with an action node:
The node receives a payload with a color name in it, and uses that to create a new payload.
It receives other values, like tag, description etc.

[{"id":"5ec51a50.272b64","type":"template","z":"aeb64e5e.faa928","name":"Notification Build","field":"payload","fieldType":"msg","format":"handlebars","syntax":"mustache","template":"{\n  \"data\": {\n    \"message\": \"{{ description }} starter d. {{ effective }}\",\n    \"title\": \"{{ title }}\",\n    \"data\": {\n      \"tag\": \"{{ tag }}\",\n      \"color\": \"{{ payload }}\",\n      \"importance\": \"high\",\n      \"ttl\": 0,\n      \"priority\": \"high\"\n    }\n  }\n}","output":"json","x":950,"y":2840,"wires":[["3e744a5f.9491ee"]]},{"id":"3e744a5f.9491ee","type":"api-call-service","z":"aeb64e5e.faa928","name":"Send mobile notification","server":"6e6a992d.094ca8","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"notify","service":"mobile_app_kennethsmobil","entityId":"","data":"","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":1190,"y":2840,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"6e6a992d.094ca8","type":"server","name":"KF Home Assistant","legacy":false,"addon":true,"rejectUnauthorizedCerts":true,"ha_boolean":"y|yes|true|on|home|open","connectionDelay":true,"cacheJson":true}]

just a FYI importance only gets used once for a channel (during initial creation)

As well as buzzpattern etc. yes, all according to docs.

The interesting thing about the steps in your link is that my devices (mine and my wifes) show up. Its just a matter of never receiving any of the notifications as i do on my phone.

Ill retry those steps, but it has to be something else. Since i have already done the steps to get my wifes phone to show up as an entity, the only thing i can say is that since we both have the same phones, when you look at the devices, mine shows up as the device name and hers shows up as the device namewith a _2 after it… doubt that matters, but wanted to point that out.

So in other words, 965u is mine and 965u_2 and any other attribute for the phones show up the same way within the developer tools page.

Seems HA is acknowledging her phone as well as NodeRed, but nothing is received by her.

Ill post my flow later tonight when i get home. Ill also retry the suggested trouble shooting steps.

Change your device names to be unique in app configuration, then check HA for the new service calls. Then keep the app open, send a notification and wait a few seconds. If you don’t see anything check notification history under app configuration to see if it shows up. Check HA error logs for errors as well if you still don’t get a notification. In extreme case you may just need to start fresh and start over with the integration and app, could just be bad cached data.

I will give all that a try tonight, thank you for the suggestions, ill will post back my results.

Renamed, updated anything not current, restarted and still nothing. BUT the one thing i noticed is that my wifes phone does not show up in the serviced tab like mine does under the developer tools section.

Im assuming that since its not there, i cant technically call it within node red since the properties you have to complete require the “Service” to be provided.

The Mobile App integration shows both of our phones.

After debugging found that its getting the following error:

"Call-service API error. Error Message: Service not found.

Ive looked at all my settings and config and dont see anything special about my phone vs. hers…

What have i over looked?

That is very odd as you point out. What version of OS does the phones have? There are some limitations on older android’s.

If you clear the cache for the homeassistant app on the phones, they should log in as new, then enter the connection details and go to the application settings to define local network and give the phone a name in the app (so they are easier to distinguish).

Once you do this the service calls change to the new name notify.mobile_app_<whatever you typed>. Did you verify the services exist in Dev tools > Services before attempting anything in node red?

they are both same phones, galaxy S10 plus and running versions Android 10.
I dont think the phones are the issues, i think im just missing a step in getting her phone fully setup/acknowledged in HA.

Lastnight after making sure everything in HA was updated, renaming both phones, and running the tests from nodered, she received a notification even though the error showed up in HA.

Since it was a test, im going to wait until tonight when we run a actual load and see if we both get notified. If we dont, then there has to be a issue within node red.

No i have not checked that, i will again tonight. The part i dont understand is why even after renaming both, why those changes are not reflected, even after restarting HA

do yourself a favor and just take node red out of hte loop. Focus on dev tools > services tab and get that to work first. node red is dependent on HA service calls working appropriately.

Are you by chance on a very old HA version or more up to date? Sometime in november we added functionality where after you rename the device under App Configuration it updates HA’s service calls and device names. Make sure you rename it in the app as mentioned in the troubleshooting section linked earlier.

HA core and application on the server were updated to the latest and greatest lastnight before any testing or changes were made so that i would be on a more secure and updated version. Then i made the name changes… the apps on both phone are the latest available version.

Im checking and again, within the dev tools\services, only my phone shows up as notify.mobile_app_sm_g965u :frowning:

lets make this easier…what name did you put in App Configuration for each device?

Within my device list i have them names as “Mine” and “Hers”
Under Entities, all of them updated to reflect the new names

I just did this all from within the mobile app, since im not home.

So using the mobile app you clicked on teh icon at the top left hand corner, select App Configuration from teh list (and not configuration or anything else, this menu only appears when using the android app) and from there you changed the device name to Mine and Hers? Or are you just changing the integration from Configuration > Integration.

Within the app, i didnt realize there was another menu option, i scrolled and found the “app configuration”
I have just updated my phone to reflect the name “mine”

I will update my wifes tonight and refresh and reload HA

The earlier configuration updates were all within the HA configuration section, not the APP configuration, i think everything is now in sync within my phone/app, so ill make the same changes on wifes phone and like i stated, ill update/reload/restart the HA server.