Home Assistant coming for your car!

If i can break the blind again I absolutely will. But you have to smooth it over with my wife when I do. She’s going to be ‘upset.’

2 Likes

I’m a member of the beta but don’t have an update today - do updates roll out gradually?

the last beta app update was pushed on Saturday night and approved by Google on Monday

3 Likes

I know that Android Auto is very limited in the types of UI you can use so I don’t expect full dashboard-type customization… but at the very least we need to be able to set a list of favorites to make available in AA. Like for example, it’s doubtful I’ll ever need controls for my 3D printer while driving. :joy:

6 Likes

Well there will come a time where you can schedule the printing of spare parts right from the crash site after scheduling a pick up - all from home assistant :wink:

8 Likes

Exactly, a list of favorite would be really useful as I don’t have to scroll my huge number of entities to find what I want to to. But it is a great start!

2 Likes

You updated the app?

Yeah, that’s the way. I also have a separate user, with its own dashboard, so it only shows several controls I really need while in car/driving. Digging through countless entities/categories/whatever doesn’t seem practical at all.

Loving this new addition so far, but as mentioned, we really need to have a simple list of favourites, or shortcuts instead of having to navigate through a long list of entities to find what we want. But awesome start, been waiting for this for a long time :slight_smile:

HA is the gift that keeps on giving, it’s great to also have it in my car!

I had some scripts that looked up a person coordinates and then sent the intent to google maps and that worked 9 out of 10 times, but that one time was frustrating and now I can simply scroll and click any person or zone registered, this is just awesome!

Can’t wait to see what comes next!

1 Like

Really needs a custom dashboard. Trying to navigate devices by type isn’t easy.

Thr companion app needs a setting that allows a single dashboard that can be presented fullscreen that doesn’t support dashboard linking to help keep the driver safe.

4 Likes

+1 for customizing or favorite list. I’ve got way too many things to make much use of it as is. For me I’m mostly interested in my garage doors, a few lights (outside, garage lights, …).

Overall this is amazing work. Thank you to everyone who helped make this happen! Can’t wait to see where you guys take this next.

5 Likes

Any chance we can expose climate entities, I’d like to warm up the hose when I get home. Of course I could probably set a scene or script or even better automation.

1 Like

The only entity I can’t see that I still want is my alarm…

And the favorites page of course.

1 Like

Hi Folks,

it will be possible to create a dedicated dashboard? I mean I would like to display a different layout/card that I have with my account

So create a dedicated account. This is possible for ages already…

@BebeMischa , YEP; but as the app I see in the android auto is the same I have on the smartphone… I guess that I need to switch between the users when I use on the car or when I’m not in the car

or I’m missing something?

1 Like

Hey everyone we hear you all on the need to have a favorites selection of entities so you can more easily get to the entities you care for. We do have an existing request in place for this so it is on the radar but no ETA yet, this feature did just get added :slight_smile:

Feel free to submit individual feature requests for each domain as there will be additional considerations for each one. One of the requirements for IoT controls is one touch control and a climate or alarm entity are not simple as there is no toggle service for them.

Not a dashboard, more than likely the favorites feature previously mentioned will be used so users can control what entities are shown.

6 Likes

That’s fine as long as you don’t have to drill down to get to them. Hopefully the favorites will be displayed on a top level.

1 Like

I don’t know about Google but amazon has the echo auto. I have alexa in my car and using ha cloud I can control anything by voice from my car. Obviously is concerned to phone so it be with the car dashboard. (Android hopefully)