Home Assistant coming for your car!

you need latitude and longitude as attributes for the sensor. Case sensitive for attribute names. You may need to create a template sensor if they are not lowercase.

The play store beta is now up to date with the latest changes. Please update the app once more from the store and you will be able to enable the new sensor.

1 Like

Perfect, approvement was just done by Google (means i just got the new Update) - so now lets play with the new Sensor

First thing I got is a TTS notification about a low fuel when I enter the car or when the range drops below 100km. Let the fun begin! (btw, it was also probably possible earlier with e.g. Bluetooth connection sensor).

Great news! Will it be possible in the future to use the navigation started on Google Maps to turn on the heating about 15 minutes before reaching the destination ā€œHomeā€?

use the proximity integration to achieve this with the device tracker

Oh thank you! This was previously unknown to me!

Iā€™d suggest google maps travel time or waze travel time sensors instead personally. Same idea but they give an accurate estimate of your time to home by the transportation mechanism of your choice, taking into account speed limits, roads, current traffic, etc. Thatā€™s what I do personally. Proximity is tough to use for this since it only gives an ā€œas the crow fliesā€ distance.

It seems pretty unlikely the HA app would be able to tap into the google maps app to see time to home. It may be android auto but they are still totally separate apps and Androidā€™s security model doesnā€™t really allow that.

Before HA I used to do this by using AutoNotification to read the ETA out of the notification itself but I def wouldnā€™t recommend it. Besides the obvious flakiness of reading data out of a notification, you also have to remember to turn on nav every time. Which is annoying if you already know the route. Or if you have someone else in the car handling navigation.

Better to use the time travel sensors since then you can just go home and not worry about any of this. Itā€™ll handle it and fix the temp for you.

2 Likes

That sounds even better. Thank you, Iā€™ll take a look and try it.

Iā€™ve looked at both solutions. The Google variant is not clear enough for me. I donā€™t want to run the risk of having to pay for it or that the service stops working one day because the quota is used up. The disadvantages of proximity are actually obvious, but maybe I can automate it in such a way that there are hardly any misinterpretations. However, Iā€™m not entirely clear on how to set it up.

But I actually see the problem here that when I drive home from work (30 km), I reach a limit of e.g. B. 5 km set up the zone in which the heating is switched on. However, it may be the case that I visit other people who live in the same place, possibly on the same street. Then it becomes difficult to arrange it so that the apartment is already warm when I arrive but at the same time not heated when I go to a friendā€™s house. That would of course be much more pleasant via navigation because then you could compare the destination.

Have a look at HERE travel time, itā€™s free

For those curious who are like me that need a new car to enjoy this feature, those portable android auto head units you see on amazon seem to work just fine! Just got mine in today so will run some more testing but the UI and new sensor work as expected.

3 Likes

Nice New feature. Got lot of automation idea in head now :rofl:.

Just a fast try got crash whit entities and another. Think it is due to the number of them. Iā€™ll do more test tomorrow and let you now more. 6 covers is ok as 2 scenes and all my zone (nice think to navigate directly to them).

1 Like

Initial feedback:

There needs to be a ā€˜mainā€™ screen where the end user can select a subset of devices / entities to be on the main screen. Having lists of entities is a nonstarter.

Reason:
My install has literally hundreds of entities. Covers for instance also includes all of my blinds and curtains. It means scrolling and searching for devices if I want to find one of the garage doors. I donā€™t want to be searching in the car.

For examples see how SmartThings does thier Android Auto experience. The end user can select up to 6 devices or scenes to promote to the front screen.

I also have an error looking at covers (it fails and returns me to the main screen, I suspect itā€™s because one of my ZWave blinds is currently offline. Iā€™ll capture a log) that is unrelated.

Edit: @dshokouhi - I got that offline blind back online and it immediately cleared the error / return to front. Looks like thereā€™s a bug if you have a device in a list thatā€™s offline.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why I have Alexa Auto.

Thanks, didnā€™t realize there was a tracker for them until now. I filed one.

Thanks for the quick anwser.

I created this sensor in node red ( in fact i already had it, just had Lat and Long with upper case um the first letter) and it still dont appear

Do you know what is still missing? Maybe some device_class ?

Thanks and nice job.

PS: i thought it could be because of the extension of the Numbers of lat and Long, so i created this dumb sensor but still dont show in Navigation:

just looked at the code, looks like currently its limited to following domains device_tracker, person or zone.

Oh man, if home assistant can get my fuel level that actually can be incredibly useful

3 Likes

please reproduce the issue and grab the logs from the phone app and file a bug

1 Like