Home Assistant Community Add-on: AdGuard Home

When I use the AdGuard API call “disable url”, it is deleting the URL information (name, url) and leaving a blank line in AdGuard Block Lists. When I try to re-enable the url, it doesn’t work because it no longer exists, or at least the url doesn’t. I can only remove_url and add_url. In addition, the call to remove_url produces an error response but it works.

Call-service API error.  Error Message: ('Failed removing URL from AdGuard Home filter', {'response': ''})

Ok so those are the kinds of issue you’d create a issue report for on GitHub.

Will do. Thanks!

Yep. Up and running. Can’t believe I haven’t run this sooner.

1 Like

Lucky you. I might have to reboot my whole system.
Nothing related to adguard in my logs, not even at debug level.

Oh boy, why am I so stupid? :slight_smile:
I was still trying the default port 3000, suggested by the integration, instead of 80.

After third try to report bug and failing, I’m at a loss. @frenck, can you tell me what place I should report this since it’s not HA nor apparently AdGuard Home itself? I am probably just ignorantly reporting in the incorrect GitHub.

1 Like

Thanks, disabling safe search resolved this issue.

is this add-on supposed to remove ads? it does not seem to work on my android phone.

Is your phone using it as it’s DNS?

dns is on my router. (it worked when I used PI-hole)

Unless you told your router (which would tell your phone) to use adguard as the dns you wont get any filtering.

You should be able to look at the query log and see traffic from your phone. If you see traffic from your phone but are still getting ads, then look into additional block lists.

Check on your phone if you have private DNS on automatic. That could route DNS queries towards the google DNS server.
Another problem could be IPv6. I never figured out a way to block ads with adguard on IPv6, so I had to disable it completely on my network/router.

1 Like

I’m using this add-on and running it as a DHCP server. Is there a possibility to use this for presence detection in Home Assistant?
I found something for Pihole, would this be possible with Adguard? Use Pi-hole DHCP to speed up ping device tracker detection

Question: Does the AdGuard Home integration only work with the the official HA AdGuard Home add-on? I was trying to connect it to a known working AdGuard instance and it keeps failing to connect. My HA instance and the AdGuard Home instance are on different physical machines in the same subnet.

I’m running it on a different machine/CT, and it is working with HA.
The HA addon has autocomplete for the port, it wants you to use 3000. Try replacing it with 80, it should work.

1 Like

I did notice that and I used 80 but it still didn’t work. I just tried again and realized I am so dumb. I was putting http:// in front of the IP. DOH!

Tried it with just the IP and port 80 and it worked just fine. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Love this! Thanks @frenck for adding :smiley:

I managed to add this on my iPhone, from bed, in less than 15min (rpi4, 8gb)

Question: (sorry if the wrong place to ask)

Anyone got some nice templates/cards they have developed?
Maybe a nice daily trending?
Or something that shows how much blocked for each client on the network (eg my iPhone vs my partners iPhone)

This is very likely a stupid question. Successfully installed AGH on my HA Pi and everything is working well. However, when I look at the AGH web UI, the version at the bottom of the Dashboard says v0.102.0. Clicking the “update” button returns “AdGuard Home is up to date”. I have a redundant AGH installed on another Pi and the latest version there is v0.103.3. Is this just a matter of waiting for the add on to get updated or did I do something wrong installing it? FYI, I’ve already been able to successfully update the HA instance so the system appears to be checking for updates appropriately. Thanks!

I achieved this through adguard.add_url and adguard.remove_url