Home Assistant Community Add-on: AdGuard Home

Hi all, I’ve been using the AdGaurd Home plugin for a couple of months very successfully. However, over the weekend I accidentally switched off part of my network (a switch) and promptly switched it on again.

Immediately after my DNS queries in my network started failing - I couldn’t figure out why. Internet was fine but nothing would resolve. Eventually restarted the host I was running Home Assistant (I run it in a VM on an Ubuntu box - I restarted the whole box) and all was fine again (AdGuard running and doing it’s thing). I thought it was strange and updated the AdGuard add-on to the latest version (4.7.1) without any noticeable difference.

Then randomly this afternoon it started again - and I noticed that if I turn AdGaurd’s protection all works well.

Does anybody have any suggestions what it could be? I have little use of AdGuard if it blocks everything!

Dom, did you ever get to the cause of this issue? I’ve hit the same problem.

Solved my own issue, the 502 Bad Gateway was part of the issues resulting from me not setting the static IP’s in HA for both IPv4 and IPv6. I’d originally only done IPv4. Once I corrected v6 and rebooted DHCP issues went away.

Need some help here, been searching for weeks on this topic (seems like many people have the same issue but was not able to find a concrete answer). Essentially what I am trying to do is forward adguard home requests to nginx proxy manager that run on the same host. The reason for this is that since my router does not support NAT Loopback and dns rewrites dont support a port, I can’t access my other services using my duckdns addresses. Example below:

HA IP: 192.168.34.210
Addons:

• Adguard - port 53 UDP for DNS resolution

• Grocy - port 5967 to 80

• nginx proxy manager - port 43210 to 443 TCP

Duck DNS URL: grocy.duckdns.org

Scenario:

• nginx handles let’s encrypt certificates for HTTPS access outside of my LAN. This works as expected, nginx proxies the duckdns url to port 5967 internally.

• Inside my network the duckdns url hits adguard home, which without a dns rewrite, returns my external ip address but again I have no way of telling it to forward it to the correct port.

If I can pass all traffic from adguard to nginx, that should solve the internal resolution problem but the question is how to do that when all of the addons are running on the same host.

Any help here would be appreciated

is there a way that i can access homeassistant with http and https using adguard ?

i have duckdns and ssl enabled, making me impossible to use http anymore.
i did see it was possible with ngix, but is this also possible with adguard using dns-rewrite, and how to achieve that ?

regards and thanks

I did get ngix fully working, but now adguard doesnt work. it says 443 already in use… and can’t change it on adguard config…

what can i do as i use adguard.

using NGINX Home Assistant SSL proxy.

regards

Anybody found a way to implement dark mode on Ad-guard addon web UI? the pages are blindingly white.

I found a way using NGINX Home Assistant SSL proxy with ad-guard.
so my issue is fixed.

@Tismo
I don’t think darkmode is possible yet for ad-guard.

I installed the app Adguard Home Remote on iOS (used their version for Pi-hole before). However I am stuck adding the instance, I need a login and password. But Adguard didn’t let me create one, where can I change it?

In terms of authentication, it seems to be your Home Assistant username/password.

Doesn’t work unfortunately…

Have you set a custom port for the web interface? Example:

After that, AdGuard Home should be available at http://homeassistant.local:76/.

At that point you can set up the instance in the AdGuard Home Remote iOS app. Works for me.

New user and running AdGuard add-on (everything seems to be working fine).
Question: is there any way to delete/clear the query logs? Do they just build forever? How long are queries kept?
There doesn’t seem to be any options, unlike the standalone version of AG Home.

Wait - is this not available to you?

1 Like

Ha! Totally missed it; must have browsed too fast. And Google searches didn’t help.
Thanks!

Hello guys?

How to use the following services from Home Asistant ?

Also How Can I enable/disable “Blocked Services” ?
please guide

has anyone a idea, how can i add a timer to disable AdGuard for a short time?
or anyone has that, and can share the code…thx in advance

sample:

Here is how to set a timer from an input number Start a timer with a given number of minutes / dynamic duration - #4 by obaldius

I would have a switch (you could just use the existing Adguard entity switch) which triggers an automation to disable Adguard which also sets and then starts the timer. Then trigger on timer finish to turn Adguard back on.

ok, thx.

if this will not work, i must switch back to pihole. its one of my important features to disable the protection for a short time

This feature is coming to AdGuard Home itself, though unknown timeframe. More info: Temporarily disable with API (and via UI) · Issue #1333 · AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome · GitHub